IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

I liked Blue Eye Samurai and I can't really stand anime in general. So that makes sense. I think the last actual anime series I liked was Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop.

2 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

sorry to rain on your parade dudes but Samurai what's his face is not anime...

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/blue-eye-samurai-release-date

Just now, Enthusiast said:

I liked Blue Eye Samurai and I can't really stand anime in general. So that makes sense. I think the last actual anime series I liked was Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop.

I don't trust people who don't like anime... 

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Burger 2

24 minutes ago, usagi said:

the signal to noise ratio for anime is extremely low. over 90% of it is garbage. but the good stuff is truly great.

yeah fuck all those children’s animes. I’ve been watching a bunch of solid animes on Tubi, I recommend it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

sorry to rain on your parade dudes but Samurai what's his face is not anime...

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/blue-eye-samurai-release-date

Anime just means animation, at least in Japan. Computer-generated or hand drawn, doesn't matter.

• Burger 1

23 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Anime just means animation, at least in Japan. Computer-generated or hand drawn, doesn't matter.

yes but there's close to none Japanese people involved in this... one of the creators is mixed race, Japanese/American and that's it...

Blue Eye Samurai is a French-American adult animated action streaming television series created and written by husband and wife team Michael Green and Amber Noizumi

production:

https://www.spirit-prod.com/en/

Edited by cruising for burgers

On 11/30/2023 at 3:24 AM, usagi said:

the signal to noise ratio for anime is extremely low. over 90% of it is garbage. but the good stuff is truly great.

u could say that about any 'art' form...

oh, and btw, your signal/ratio analogy is cringe af...

9 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

yes but there's close to none Japanese people involved in this... one of the creators is mixed race, Japanese/American and that's it...

production:

https://www.spirit-prod.com/en/

Sure, but I'm just saying you can call it anime and still be right. Like what are you going to do when you ask a Japanese person what this is and they call it anime? "Well ackshually it's not anime because that refers to a very specific style of Japanese animation blah blah blah".

Just now, chenGOD said:

Sure, but I'm just saying you can call it anime and still be right. Like what are you going to do when you ask a Japanese person what this is and they call it anime? "Well ackshually it's not anime because that refers to a very specific style of Japanese animation blah blah blah".

apparently only Japanese people call anime to every kind of animation (wiki)... foreigners all refer to it as anime... we on the same page I think... if Japanese people call Scooby Doo or The Flintstones anime, then the joke is on them...:)

Blue Eye Samurai does not qualify as an Anime according to MAL / weebs / otakus. It's not created in Japan, or made by a Japanese production company.

However... Netflix does market it as an anime. And it's influenced by anime quite a bit. And it's set in Japan. And indeed most Japanese people call all animation anime.

So ... it's probably ok to call it an anime.

Same goes for Arcane, Castlevania, Avatar,...

10 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

if Japanese people call Scooby Doo or The Flintstones anime, then the joke is on them

It's all anime. Animation. You wouldn't even know the word if it wasn't for the Japanese like what are you even trying to say?

22 minutes ago, MaartenVC said:

Blue Eye Samurai does not qualify as an Anime according to MAL / weebs / otakus.

Yeah I was trying to avoid using those terms, but they are really just the worst.

Just now, chenGOD said:

It's all anime. Animation. You wouldn't even know the word if it wasn't for the Japanese like what are you even trying to say?

I'm not trying to say anything, it's what it is... Japanese call anime (derivative from animation) to every kind animation... but the rest of the world call anime specifically to animation made in Japan... check wiki, there's not even a consensus about that...

6 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

the rest of the world call anime specifically to animation made in Japan.

Which is the stupidest gatekeeping ever. Regardless, this particular show is very much in a style that clearly derives a lot from "animation made in Japan". So it's going to get called anime.

24 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Scavengers Reign is really good. One of the best things I have watched all year.

image.thumb.png.7d57d0167f3cd640604688dca0a4183b.png

Really hope this gets more seasons, it was great. Don’t trust Max at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enthusiast said:

Scavengers Reign is really good. One of the best things I have watched all year.

1 hour ago, baph said:

Yes. This was one of the strongest full seasons I've seen of a show in a long time.

• Like 2

Just now, chenGOD said:

Which is the stupidest gatekeeping ever. Regardless, this particular show is very much in a style that clearly derives a lot from "animation made in Japan". So it's going to get called anime.

ok u win! u can now collect your bag of worms...

4 hours ago, baph said:

Loved the show and they better not fuck this up but unless something has changed (besides the stupid MAX name) HBO has had a really great track record imo. Although I guess animation hasn’t really been their thing and that Velma series seemed to get panned hard for being a cynically woke disaster apparently. I think they’ll renew it based on reception.

Rewatchin first season of Fargo until the new season racks up some more episodes. Forgot how good this is! Just like an extended stay in the world of the original film