IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Track is exactly as expected. Can't be mad or too excited really. It was clear from 10,000 Days that their best was behind them, and clear from how long they took on this album (legal issues aside) that they were trying to perfect their signature sound and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

58 minutes ago, Poimandres said:

It must be hard to write songs that sound like Tool without being too familiar or too different. Honestly they used up all their best riffs on Aenima. So far this doesn't sound as forced as 10000 Days, and I'm happy for a more relaxed listen without setting expectations sky high. 

Agreed.

sounds cool. I'm just hoping for a good album. I try not to expect a great one from bands who have made great ones in the past.

It's strange how much my tastes have changed, my favorite parts of the track is when the guitar is dropped and the drums are clear. I just wanna listen to those .

Edited by Brisbot

guys i just listened to the new tool for the first time and... it's a really boring song tbh.

called this at work before I even heard it this morning

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 7.09.58 PM.png

Adam Jones is certainly the weakest member of the band at this point, but he's also very key to their sound. always hoped the other guys would rub off on him and he'd step up his game....but nope. very obvious that's not going to happen. that initial guitar motif is bland af. he just does what he does and that's that. at least Maynard feels like he's not phoning this one in (as he has at times over the last couple albums)....tbh the whole band except for Maynard, at least on this track, seems like they're very much stuck into their 'sound' 

listening again (not on headphones)....very much feels like a live version of a track, basically...just has more air to breath and isn't as tight/trim as most studio rock bands (Tool definitely among them usually) try to get their tracks before recording them. they can sorta do whatever the hell they want now tho so who knows if there was any producer stepping in going 'okay guys, do we really need a drum solo 3 minutes into the track?' 

New Tool is trending #2 on youtube currently, and #1 is the Joe Rogan podcast with Bernie Sanders. First time I've seen YT trend  so highly anything I'm interested in.

I meant the song, but the album is considered the best by 90% of people who have heard them all ,yeah. Well That or Undertow. But I'm not really a fan of Undertow.

Edited by Brisbot

41 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Great tracks on there but too long, way too much juvenile studenty filler. Hash brown recipe in German I'm looking at you.

Yeah cause there's none of that wankery on Lateralus.. Faaip De Oiad I'm looking at you! ?

Also lyrically find parabol/parabola Tool at maximum cringe.

It is still an amazing album but prefer Aenima my self.

I think that new track sounds enjoyable for what it is. meanders a bit much in the second half. I forgot how much I don't vibe with Maynard's voice generally, the cleanness of it has always sleazed at me like a lounge singer's voice.

anyway I had no expectations for this because I've never been a Tool megafan and only really paid attention around the Lateralus days. I'm more into the bands that came both before and after them.

edit: some fucking cringy-ass comments on the video

edit edit: kinda feels like this would be good music to enjoy in company or at a party, if not engaging enough for continued private obsession.

Edited by usagi

13 hours ago, hello spiral said:

Great tracks on there but too long, way too much juvenile studenty filler. Hash brown recipe in German I'm looking at you.

Every single real track on Aenima is a total banger. Just skip the filler tracks and you have a 60+ minute album of pure gold. Lateralus... Ehhh I don't think The Patient is great, Schism isn't on par with anything from Aenima, even Parabola runs out of steam in the second half. There just isn't as much good music on there. 

Every single real track on Aenima is a total banger. Just skip the filler tracks and you have a 60+ minute album of pure gold. Lateralus... Ehhh I don't think The Patient is great, Schism isn't on par with anything from Aenima, even Parabola runs out of steam in the second half. There just isn't as much good music on there. 
I'm not a tool fan but i know their albums cause i was with a chick who loved em and i'm afraid i have to agree. That song about fistfucking and that put shit on me track, lol delicious music

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

lol I saw that. That’s probably the first number 1 album they’ve shredded since they started selling music for condé nast. 

But hey, they think it’s 3x better than Lateralus!

Edited by jules