IGNORED

How Much Water Is There On Earth?

Joyrex

http://ga.water.usgs...ml#.T6wZZOtYvII

This picture shows the size of a sphere that would contain all of Earth's water in comparison to the size of the Earth. The blue sphere sitting on the United States, reaching from about Salt Lake City, Utah to Topeka, Kansas, has a diameter of about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) , with a volume of about 332,500,000 cubic miles (1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers). The sphere includes all the water in the oceans, seas, ice caps, lakes and rivers as well as groundwater, atmospheric water, and even the water in you, your dog, and your tomato plant.

global-water-volume-large.jpg

One problem with the graphic is that I don't really get a sense of how high the water orb is from the ground, it doesn't have depth

Well, since it's a sphere, it's diameter is equal to it's height... so 860 miles high.

Of course it's going to look small compared to the entire earth. But keep in mind we don't inhabit the whole earth, only a thin thin layer on top of it. 99% of the earth is just magma and whatnot. Even the tallest mountain, which is about 7000 m is about half a percent of the diameter of that water globe.

Fun Fact: Thanks to the water cycle you are all drinking Margaret Thatcher's piss.

Possibly even a T-Rex's piss. Or Abe Lincoln's!

*faps*

Once we start mastering terraforming and similar things, it would be cool to just have floating oceans in space just for dolphins. In millions of years, they would turn into all-conscious spiritual beings that can bend time and space to their will.

*faps*

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Once we start mastering terraforming and similar things, it would be cool to just have floating oceans in space just for dolphins. In millions of years, they would turn into all-conscious spiritual beings that can bend time and space to their will.

I would put some of these in them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwvRURK2eg

THat is one of the most unbelievable living things I've ever seen! Thanks!!!

Of course it's going to look small compared to the entire earth. But keep in mind we don't inhabit the whole earth, only a thin thin layer on top of it. 99% of the earth is just magma and whatnot. Even the tallest mountain, which is about 7000 m is about half a percent of the diameter of that water globe.

I guess it would look even smaller if it only contained all the fresh/drinkable water on this planet. Alarmingly small.

So this is what the sandisons have been up to...

Archived