IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

55 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

Apparently it's a blend of seven batches of varying age, which makes it scarce and therefore expensive.

Boon is great.  My go-to everyday geuze is Lindeman's oude geuze.

I’m sure I’ve had Lindeman’s as well. It’s funny back in the day before craft ale took off and before the internet made buying foreign beers a doddle, making lists of beers and rating them was kind of laughed at, similar to like a trainspotter is a super nerd. At the beer festivals you would have a crowd of people all sat round a table, looking serious with their notebooks, like librarians. Whereas for most it was all about having an adventure and a laugh. Now of course I wish I’d kept a log book of all the beers I’ve drunk. Nowadays I’d be left well behind and it would mean nothing but back in the 90’s and early 2000s I could go to any beer festival and know probably 80% or higher of every single beer being sold. Kind of wish I had a reference to that. But that’s nostalgic emotions tricking my brain, because if I did have that logbook it would just be gathering dust.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

A beaufiful 13% bourbon/mead barrel aged Imperial Stout from Mikkeller in collab with 7 other brewers/distillers. (Hence the name "the ocho".

Was almost £40 a bottle.

(Stole someone else's photo off untappd as the only pic i had was a quite blurry dark photo of my almost empty glass.)

Screenshot_20220102-163725_Untappd.thumb.jpg.8f2dc4b5442dad0828f0a8f436fb3c64.jpg

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

I’m sure I’ve had Lindeman’s as well. It’s funny back in the day before craft ale took off and before the internet made buying foreign beers a doddle, making lists of beers and rating them was kind of laughed at, similar to like a trainspotter is a super nerd. At the beer festivals you would have a crowd of people all sat round a table, looking serious with their notebooks, like librarians. Whereas for most it was all about having an adventure and a laugh. Now of course I wish I’d kept a log book of all the beers I’ve drunk. Nowadays I’d be left well behind and it would mean nothing but back in the 90’s and early 2000s I could go to any beer festival and know probably 80% or higher of every single beer being sold. Kind of wish I had a reference to that. But that’s nostalgic emotions tricking my brain, because if I did have that logbook it would just be gathering dust.

I came into beer kind of late in life, and by no means consider myself an expert in any aspect of it (plus my palate sucks).  In grad school (early 2000s) I became really interested in Trappist beers which led me to Belgian beers overall.  That's probably where most of my knowledge lies.  I've been trying to cross all Trappist beers of my list, but the Westvleterens are obv. really hard to get in the US, although I have had a Wesvleteren 12 that a friend brought back from Belgium for me.  It's interesting how my tastes have changed over the years; I used to hate IPAs (when IPAs were 3/4 of any beer menu in the US), but now I've come around to them and have absolutely lost my taste for stouts & porters.

Few years back I really got into lambics & other sours and I think they may have surpassed Belgian strong dark ales as my favorite style.  For the past few years I've been trying to explore lambics & geuzes more.  Cantillon is supposedly one of the highest rated producers of lambics & geuzes, and one of the only places in the US where you can get one is only 45 minutes from me in Philly.  Looking forward to that!

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 1

As I'm in France now I've been drinking so much imported 8-11% Belgian beer. There's one I tried quite recently which I can't remember the name of for the life of me which had this painting of St. Michael on the label which is absolutely delicious.

File:Guido Reni 031.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Beer always tastes nicer when the bottle/ can looks good. It's like a good album which has an equally good cover.

• Haha 1

Nice to see people posting about geuze in this thread. In Norway it seems to be all about pastry stouts, pastry sours and sweeter and sweeter IPAs. I've been looking at those special geuzes from 3F, but they are expensive as hell and only available in big bottles over here. The standard 3F Oude Geuze is my go-to. I have a few Cantillons in my beer callar, but they are hard to get by.

I've been drinking myself through a lot of christmas beers as always. Over here it's traditionally dark lagers/bayer and bock, but nowadays everything is allowed. My favorite this christmas was To Øl: Yule M%&?!&k Bourbon & Vanilla BA (that's really the name). A massive 16,3% imp stout that lasted the whole night. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, milkface said:

As I'm in France now I've been drinking so much imported 8-11% Belgian beer. There's one I tried quite recently which I can't remember the name of for the life of me which had this painting of St. Michael on the label which is absolutely delicious.

File:Guido Reni 031.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Beer always tastes nicer when the bottle/ can looks good. It's like a good album which has an equally good cover.

Look like it's a new beer from a big industrial brewery who wants to compete with Duvel.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-03 à 18.40.12.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scumtron said:

I have a few Cantillons in my beer callar, but they are hard to get by.

Jealous.

4 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Try this one (you probably know it but just in case...) fav belgian beer by far !

orval.thumb.png.40f1f7c6f5401f306a6ff4fc288a1608.png

I wasn't sure about Orval the first time I had it, but it's really grown on me and has become my favorite Trappist beer. There's nothing else like it IMO.  My wife calls it the "foot beer" because sometimes the young ones can be a bit funky, but not like geuze funky, its own brand of funky.

• Like 1

I’m sure Orval is designed and brewed with a yeast that improves over time, so is not at its best fresh. Somewhere in this thread there’s a discussion about it. 

This is my local brewery Rebellion and this is their best beer Winter Royal which I’m drinking after a bike ride. Early and on an empty stomach I can feel the effect after 2! ? 

5F520F8D-3C97-449F-B550-6C2BFAF1D359.thumb.jpeg.7214005e7e4b75bd2e1a6a2e06a72ded.jpeg

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found a really cool and cheap place in the city that sells french local and nationwide beers to buy some for my uncle and ended up getting a bottle or two for myself.

TATANKA Brasserie Les Gens sérieuxBière blonde avec une légère not...

5.2%

Bière Pêche Mel Bush - La Boutique du Comptoir

8.5% and tastes amazing

anddd

Découvrez nos "classiques" La Canute - Bières artisanales et locales

The range of Lyon beers (6.6%)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

As was this 7.1% 24 month barrel aged Raspberry sour.

20220622_192749.jpg

Looks amazing. Summer is my season for sours.  I'm trying to explore geuzes a bit more now that the selection in my area has been expanding.  Love the sour/funk mix.

6 hours ago, zkom said:

BananaSplit.png

how was that, and/or was that your dessert?

me personally, am not a huge fan of the concept of combining milkshakes with beer. but there's apparently a market for it.

although I do enjoy this one from time to time, but can't drink too many as I get a headache after a few. something about the sweetness mixed with beer doesn't compute well in my head/stomach I suppose.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, zero said:

how was that, and/or was that your dessert?

It's not as sweet as you might think. Tastes more like a regular imperial stout with a hint of banana. So it's not like some pastry stouts that are super sweet and thick. Not too bad but I'll probably pick something else the next time.

It wasn't a dessert really, I just went out for a single beer and selected a 10.3% 0.44l imperial stout. :cisfor:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bison in the barrel room from Estonia's  Põhjala brewery.

13.5% Double Baltic Porter brewed with bisongrass and aged in apple brandy barrels.

One of the best I've ever had!

£8 for a third.

PXL_20220616_125226415.PORTRAIT_940x.thumb.jpg.c7618c8a7e25f9ba9c1137d1eaabe91f.jpg

2 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

Bison in the barrel room from Estonia's  Põhjala brewery.

13.5% Double Baltic Porter brewed with bisongrass and aged in apple brandy barrels.

One of the best I've ever had!

£8 for a third.

PXL_20220616_125226415.PORTRAIT_940x.thumb.jpg.c7618c8a7e25f9ba9c1137d1eaabe91f.jpg

Just had a mooch about on their website. Whoever does the graphic design for their labels is very good at their job. Absoloute stunning art work.