IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

It blows its load way too early imo. The big pretty string swells need to be at the end!

I listened to the second half on the way to work this morning. Still pretty amazing. I'm hearing new things in Cloudline and a few other tracks!

I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or not, but I'm sure I hear some really nice melodies played by the warpy strings until the bassline first appears..?

the only track I have to skip on Exai, rest of it is great

lol you hated Exai before. I swear every AE album you start off against the grain, hating on the album and wondering aloud what it is you're missing, then silently you come around later on.

the only track I have to skip on Exai, rest of it is great

lol you hated Exai before. I swear every AE album you start off against the grain, hating on the album and wondering aloud what it is you're missing, then silently you come around later on.

That's exactly what happened to me. Bought it first day of its release, ignored it for a few days and then approached it slowly with the easy tracks, like T Ess Xi and Bladelores, until it suddenly made click and I fell in love with it.

tuinorizn anyone? O and irlite get (0), fucking amazing track. Those sloppy, hypnotic beats and those weird melodies at like 3 minutes. Ear candy.

Edited by Verdant Hickies

listened to this again yesterday. prac-f, bladelores, 1 1 is and YJY UX really stood out. prac-f was one of my initial favourites and has only improved with time.

even enjoyed spl9 more than usual, though it's still prob my least listened to of Exai (along with deco loc)

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to the whole album straight on headphones, no pauses. One of the most intense sessions with Exai so far, the album is finally sinking in and is becoming a favourite over here, can't name any weak track. Deco Loc and Spl9 always stick out as the best ones I guess. YJY UX and Key Osc are the perfect outro tracks, I was slowly dragged me back out of the madness that is Exai.

It's pretty much how Obel describes it above, it's almost a cliché that I'll know I'll fall for. And everytime, I fall for it.

Just listened to the whole album straight on headphones, no pauses. One of the most intense sessions with Exai so far, the album is finally sinking in and is becoming a favourite over here, can't name any weak track. Deco Loc and Spl9 always stick out as the best ones I guess. YJY UX and Key Osc are the perfect outro tracks, I was slowly dragged me back out of the madness that is Exai.

It's pretty much how Obel describes it above, it's almost a cliché that I'll know I'll fall for. And everytime, I fall for it.

Key Osc? :unsure:

Japanese bonus track

Japanese bonus track

Omg how have I not heard of this? Didn't miss out on much though. It's not bad, but uninteresting compared to the rest of the album.

YJY UX is beautiful. I think it might actually be my favourite on Exai now. they always write such good closers.

That track almost sounds like it belonged on oversteps, to me.

YJY UX is beautiful. I think it might actually be my favourite on Exai now. they always write such good closers.

I disagree. But I don't even think it fits on Exai. YJY UX is gorgeous, I find it reminiscent of their earlier stuff for some reason. Has a kind of somber vibe to it.

I disagree. But I don't even think it fits on Exai. YJY UX is gorgeous, I find it reminiscent of their earlier stuff for some reason. Has a kind of somber vibe to it.

totally agree with this lad - YJY UX reminds me of Amber, massively.

my fav too! this track could be the most significant 'transcendental' moment of their career imo and of all music i resonate with such kind of tracks the most easily (see: 'late' beethoven)

in the aaa thread i asked them about the track, if they can say anything about it and that while i listening it i literary feel as standing in the middle of sahara under a dusk sky when transcendental shits are starting to unfold... rob just quoted me without answering. was he agree or just forgot to answer? we'll never know.

Edited by xox

deco Loc and 11 is are favs from the album, and I think 1 1 is might be one of their best of all time. Not to say that oversteps/move of ten were bad, I love oversteps, but I think they really stepped up their game with longer expansive tracks on Exai

It reminds me more of LP5! Either way its a beauty..

It reminds me more of LP5! Either way its a beauty..

I'm speaking from a structural standpoint though :)

neither of us are wrong! yet both of us are.

yet we're not.

IDEM