IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

The awful thing about any potential samples leaked is that after Oversteps I'm scared that they are actually genuine because after what they've been putting out since Oversteps, it's hard to tell. After krYlon, O=0, who knows how far they'll push their lifeless, jaded, insipid limp noodling. I don't particularly trust them to care enough, they probably never had a certain self imposed high standard anyway, they just released whatever, and whatever now happens to be shit.

Oversteps/Move of Ten killed my enthusiasm for Autechre and the announcement of this album has brought me back. With 2 hours worth, I'm hoping for at least 10 minutes of Notwo/Outh9X/paralel Suns-style dark ambient, or at least some rich variety in their music. So I can actually distinguish one track from the next, and there are surprises, contrasts and things usually associated with outstanding distinctive music.

I don't think I want to hear this album, I'm happier just looking at the artwork and track titles and imagining.

Why put people on such high pedestals if its just gonna make you upset and "scared"?

People seem really into legacy and stuff. They see their favorite stuff as holy and anything made after that that disrupts their perfect image causes them to re-think their own self worth. It's fine to criticize stuff but if it's making you upset and emotionally harmed then perhaps it's not the most healthy form of consuming?

Edited by compson

Well, not so long ago, Autechre was fucking awesome. There aren't many/any other folks around making music of that quality. So I think it's an appropriate emotional response if they've paddled irrevocably far down shit river.

Appropriate to ignore future releases because one release didn't live up to prior masterpieces? No one is that good... time to step back into reality lol

Edited by compson

This next 3 months are going to be living hell from me. Too much to wait! They should have announced it in February '13.

Makes me think of the hafler trio interview or whatever it was where he spoke about only buying a few albums per year or month, and having to wait for the cd to come to the shop, and then traveling there on a saturday morning really early to get there etc. There's something 'ok about having to wait and not get immediate gratification. Though yeah it is a bit of time... 2 months 3 weeks. OOO cant wait

Well, not so long ago, Autechre was fucking awesome. There aren't many/any other folks around making music of that quality. So I think it's an appropriate emotional response if they've paddled irrevocably far down shit river.

Appropriate to ignore future releases because one release didn't live up to prior masterpieces? No one is that good... time to step back into reality lol

I meant appropriate to be concerned or even "scared" that it's all downhill from here. I didn't see anything about ignoring future releases...? I am going to give this album a shot, all 2 hours and 32 seconds of it. I'm expecting the chaos cinema of Autechre albums, but I will give it a chance.

This next 3 months are going to be living hell from me. Too much to wait! They should have announced it in February '13.

Makes me think of the hafler trio interview or whatever it was where he spoke about only buying a few albums per year or month, and having to wait for the cd to come to the shop, and then traveling there on a saturday morning really early to get there etc. There's something 'ok about having to wait and not get immediate gratification. Though yeah it is a bit of time... 2 months 3 weeks. OOO cant wait

I agree but we're waiting for it since 21st of September, that's the date that tDR declared as The Day One of making the cover.

So that would be 6 mnts in total! Aaaaa! 1 full mnt would be just enough of waiting.

I meant appropriate to be concerned or even "scared" that it's all downhill from here. I didn't see anything about ignoring future releases...? I am going to give this album a shot, all 2 hours and 32 seconds of it. I'm expecting the chaos cinema of Autechre albums, but I will give it a chance.

"I don't think I want to hear this album"

I personally can't comprehend this. Even if an artist has been on a downhill I still am curious about what they have, maybe not excited but curious. I'm down to sample/try at least. To outright ignore seems a little extreme.

And as always, as soon as Exai will be out, people will be all like : "Whoah I just got Oversteps and jizzed my pants", "Fuck off with the beats, bring the FM synths back !", "WHERE'S THE REVERB ?" etc etc.

And as always, as soon as Exai will be out, people will be all like : "Whoah I just got Oversteps and jizzed my pants", "Fuck off with the beats, bring the FM synths back !", "WHERE'S THE REVERB ?" etc etc.

:D

Why want a rehash of something old, rather than something completely new? You can always return to your old favourites if you don't like the new stuff.

And this is what autechre does so well... which is why even if you didn't dig their last few releases you still should give this new one a shot because it could be something you like.