The Place Beyond The Pines - Knew nothing about it other than a friend's recommendation that I should watch it. Interesting story, the big plot turns were quite unexpected, especially the first significant one which dictated the tone for the rest of the film. Very well acted, a few corny moments but otherwise quite a captivating watch. 8/10

just watched this. blown away. loved it.

i'll likely watch this for my second time soon. very special film to me, on multiple levels. ben mendelsohn is a favourite of mine and eva mendes may have given her best performance. also, i would like to do very naughty things to eva; as any man in his right mind would. her smile lights up dark places.

Not out yet but I intend to watch it when it is:

RABBIT WOMAN (MUJER CONEJO)

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/chinese-triads-and-mutant-bunnies-invade-argentina-in-rabbit-woman-mujer-conejo.html

<script src="http://www.springboardplatform.com/js/overlay"></script>

Edit: bollocks, the vid was working fine in post preview mode. What did I do wrong? :shrug:

Edited by hello spiral

The Place Beyond The Pines - Knew nothing about it other than a friend's recommendation that I should watch it. Interesting story, the big plot turns were quite unexpected, especially the first significant one which dictated the tone for the rest of the film. Very well acted, a few corny moments but otherwise quite a captivating watch. 8/10

i'll likely watch this for my second time soon. very special film to me, on multiple levels. ben mendelsohn is a favourite of mine and eva mendes may have given her best performance. also, i would like to do very naughty things to eva; as any man in his right mind would. her smile lights up dark places.

Mendelsohn was incredible.

i cried the big wet one when mendelsohn gave dehaan the sunglasses. dane dehaan really had the performance of his life as well, along with eva. i see big things ahead for him if he continues to apply himself. fun to watch, like a young dicaprio in this, but with a bit more ruff edges to him

The fact that Elysium was only like 90 minutes was a bit weird. It felt like a pretty good 2 hour movie with a half hour edited out by studio execs a week before release.

Guest Teribal Felafal

yeah it felt a bit like prometheus to me, like watching a movie in ffwd. the pacing in these films is just off

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

A strange and alarming trend: movie-lovers who don’t like to watch movies

http://thedissolve.com/news/251-dude-these-movies-would-be-amazing-if-you-didnt-ha/

i feel like i'm part of that group. i watch less movies now than ever in my life (and i consider myself a film lover) but there are more shitty movies now than ever

Did you actually read the article? LoL.

That's fucking terrible, if cinemas ever starts catering to "second screen experiences" I'll never set foot in a cinema again.

Guest zaphod

that article was surprisingly short. dude doesn't like when people text and watch films. some people have lowered attention spans. what an observation!

Edited by zaphod

Just watched "Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters" last night. Really weird guy, and the film seemed appropriately designed, given this guy's personal life. He struck me as yet another charismatic cultist; it is pretty surprising what people can pull off if they have enough arrational influence over others. "Oh, you write good books an plays--sure, you can have your own private army, and you can get all cozy with our top generals." Why not?

Phillip Glass did the score. Recommended for that alone, if you're not into the sort of stuff I mentioned above.

i cried the big wet one when mendelsohn gave dehaan the sunglasses. dane dehaan really had the performance of his life as well, along with eva. i see big things ahead for him if he continues to apply himself. fun to watch, like a young dicaprio in this, but with a bit more ruff edges to him

I feel like Bradley Cooper really stole the show and really embraced his character

I'm glad there's been some love on this thread for TPBTPs. Felt like it was a little hard done by when it came out. It really is a fantastic film. Need to watch it again.

A strange and alarming trend: movie-lovers who don’t like to watch movies

http://thedissolve.com/news/251-dude-these-movies-would-be-amazing-if-you-didnt-ha/

i feel like i'm part of that group. i watch less movies now than ever in my life (and i consider myself a film lover) but there are more shitty movies now than ever

Did you actually read the article? LoL.

i guess i didn't

This Film Is Not Yet Rated - 8/10 - Easily one of the best documentaries I've seen. Completely straightforward and informative, well edited and scored. Really interesting.

Frances Ha 7/10

Another film about a quirky 20 something female who can't get her shit together until suddenly she does. Wow great!

I would have liked this film a lot better if I the main character wasn't so cringe, it was still enjoyable though despite that.

I just wish they could make a film with a cool female character who's kinda quirky but not quite so annoying.

I could have a feminist rant about this but I really can't be arsed.

It's basically the American version of Happy Go Lucky.

I feel like Bradley Cooper really stole the show and really embraced his character

I'm not sure I like him as an actor. He sort of a blank-eyed muppet. His little slash mouth looks just like a muppet talking, I've decided.