moonrise kingdom - etsy/10

What does etsy mean?

I thought MK was ok but they really need to lay off these self aware camera movements because they are becoming unsustainable. And detracting from the narrative. Needs a fresh approach. The scene where the dog got killed was a piece of shit.

etsy.com bro, if you just go to the homepage of that site you'll see all these carefully cultivated displays of quirky items, vintage curiosities, hip retro stuff, etc. i felt like MK was like the movie version of this: everything from the camera work, the dialog, the music, etc. was also so preciously composed and about as vapid as a shop window.

basically wes anderson just makes the same exact movie over and over, viz. quirky dysfunctional families have wacky adventures and everything looks like some hip vintage shop. MK was especially bad though imo, by the time they reached the church during the flood it was like the script completely unraveled into this ridiculous hodge-podge of cutsey bullshit. it's also pretty impressive that he can get perfectly good actors to be completely flat and boring.

except bill murray who is just one of those guys who seems to always be funny imo

This. All this and exactly like this.

Taken 2

Liam Neeson is my hero and I loved the first Taken, so this was a really enjoyable watch even though it wasn't as good as the first one. It was fun seeing Boris the Blade again.

Two major gripes however:

Getting his daughter to chuck hand grenades all over Istanbul? Driving with her straight into an embassy and US soldiers gunfire? Seriously?

anyone see upstream color? is it even out yet? it looks pretentious as fuck, but i want to watch it.

its not out yet, but spoilery reviews are. They are saying it's equally as confusing as primer except this one centers around a relationship of a man and woman who are intertwined (psychologically codependent) but not just with themselves, a 'gadget' or some kind of tech-laden shamanistic ritual melds their minds together through the course of the film. The reviews are very positive so far.

in response to Squee, even though it's more amateurish, when i watch Primer i feel like i'm watching a David Lynch movie that actually makes sense. What i mean by that is if you were actually able to time travel, and every time you did a double was created of yourself things would get very confusing, anxiety ridden and paranoid very quickly. I think the movie portrays sort of a subtle psychological breakdown of both main characters pretty well. They have enough awareness to know not to go too far early on but the slipperiness of time travel makes them too concerned about losing control to their 'future' selves. I don't know, i just find the whole concept very creepy that a future version of yourself is running around out there essentially controlling your fate, and the only way to be back in control is to stop your double. But how does one know if that double is the 'newest' iteration? You really don't, it would be a never-ending anxiety downward spiral into insanity. there are a few things i dislike about the movie, but it's been a long time since i've seen a completely independently produced and acted film that impacted me as much. Very much looking forward to what he does next, even if the trailer makes it look pretentious

Edited by Awepittance

moonrise kingdom - etsy/10

What does etsy mean?

I thought MK was ok but they really need to lay off these self aware camera movements because they are becoming unsustainable. And detracting from the narrative. Needs a fresh approach. The scene where the dog got killed was a piece of shit.

etsy.com bro, if you just go to the homepage of that site you'll see all these carefully cultivated displays of quirky items, vintage curiosities, hip retro stuff, etc. i felt like MK was like the movie version of this: everything from the camera work, the dialog, the music, etc. was also so preciously composed and about as vapid as a shop window.

basically wes anderson just makes the same exact movie over and over, viz. quirky dysfunctional families have wacky adventures and everything looks like some hip vintage shop. MK was especially bad though imo, by the time they reached the church during the flood it was like the script completely unraveled into this ridiculous hodge-podge of cutsey bullshit. it's also pretty impressive that he can get perfectly good actors to be completely flat and boring.

except bill murray who is just one of those guys who seems to always be funny imo

jesus I am so glad someone else just saw this absolute piece of shit.

I like a lot of Wes Anderson's movies, but this was fucking horrible.

Moonrise Kingdom- 2/10 (for Bill Murray and Ed Norton)

hey wow he looks past the camera and says something deadpan, the corner of his mouth upturned in a barely perceptible manner 4 STARS

have you seen Caddyshack?

I don't like this somewhat recent trend of taking a funny person like Bill Murray and having him stand there expressionless, only to hail it as a brilliant dramatic transformation, but to claim he is unfunny is just ludicrous as shit.

I don't like this somewhat recent trend of taking a funny person like Bill Murray and having him stand there expressionless, only to hail it as a brilliant dramatic transformation, but to claim he is unfunny is just ludicrous as shit.

Broken Flowers is all this.

Although I quite like that film. I'm a cunt.

Bill Murrays bank account begs to differ

missing the point.

He is the exact opposite in Caddyshack, whether you like the movie or not; it proves he can act in ways other than Wes Anderson archetypes.

Also: What About Bob?