have not. should i? i see it's available free from project gutenberg. might check that out. never heard of this writer.

I love it. Would be a great film or play. Check out "Jurgen, Comedy of Justice" by Cabell on Gutenberg as well, if you have not. Adult fantasy at its finest.

Tis a shame I am the only fan of Dune.

I like Dune even though I acknowledge it's a bad film. Sting is brilliant in it.

I would never call it a bad film, only a film that is missing scenes due to poor planning and a vision not shared by all participants. If you know the story, the missing scenes are not necessary imo. One scene that makes the whole film brilliant is the one where the doctor is taking care of Baron Harkonnen's nasty skin. I love many other scenes but if you cannot appreciate the originality and atmosphere of that scene, it should be watched again.

So I just saw Gravity, finally.

Great film! It was probably more of an 8/10, but I'll give it a 9/10 for being groundbreaking and ballsy. Lovely CG for the most part, better than Avatar for example. Some of the dialogue was clunky and the ending went a bit too over the top, but I really admired what they were trying to do with the film as a whole. Gave me some big feels from time to time, too. Would recommend it to anyone.

My wife, being a country girl, didn't understand any of it. "So...they're on another planet right?" Um...

Yeah I felt the same way. Like a new genre that could be filled with original film ideas.

Hopefully your wife felt/understood the tension.

That seems inescapable.

love me some Dune :beer:

cheers indeed...

"We have just folded space from Ix...Many machines on Ix. New machines.

Better than those on Richese."

MV5BMTQzNTkwODIzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY2

this was the first movie i ever watched in a drive-in and it still holds up. badass dance moves and a then unknown van damme doing his best gay impression of a guy feeling electro-rap a lil' too much

i rate this movie: electric

MV5BMTI0NzM1MDEwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODY1

this was on adult swim so i decided to dive in. haven't seen it since... forever. mind-bending animation about some kind of power that takes over kids and makes them into ultra-violent type machines. good but also meh

trailer

gravity 8/10

i'm gonna start by saying that george was rubbish in this. it reminded me of his performance in a recent commercial i saw him in, very poor. does he really have any interesting in acting anymore or just pushing coffee? i really don't know. sandra was brilliant though and the CGI was beautiful. 3D is a bit crap though.

when you consider that basically every fucking thing in the film was 3d apart from their faces, it becomes a bit mind boggling...

er, and to clarify, by 3d I mean vfx. Not the silly glasses.

Edited by lumpenprol

when you consider that basically every fucking thing in the film was 3d apart from their faces, it becomes a bit mind boggling...

er, and to clarify, by 3d I mean vfx. Not the silly glasses.

yeah, i wish they made life in 3D, wouldn't that be amazing. Lol at your Dune fix BTW. very funny. maybe a little bit true.

Gremlins. i just found out today that steven spielberg did it. or maybe i had just forgotten.

anyways

QUESTION

can anyone think of other movies that take place during Christmas that aren't Christmas movies?

Gremlins. i just found out today that steven spielberg did it. or maybe i had just forgotten.

Spielberg was just an executive producer. Joe Dante directed and Chris Columbus wrote it.

Killer Joe - William Friedkin's dark comedy (?) about dumb trailer trash. McConaughey was surprisingly good as a disturbed detective. Thomas Haden Church did a good job as an oblivious drunk too.

Edited by azatoth

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

can anyone think of other movies that take place during Christmas that aren't Christmas movies?

home alone!

gravity - 7.5/10 - it's quite gripping for the most part and the are scenes that are simply incredible (like when she just keeps spinning and spinning and getting more further away, and everything gets silent and the part where she picks up the radio signal from earth) but then there those enormous slabs of typical holywood cheese that ruin everything, the jump scare, cheesy zoom in on the tear (could be so much more effective without it), dream clooney, "i'm draggin you with me so i'm letting myself go" and more. when dream-clooney tells her to use the landing stuff to get to the chinese station the movie is basically over, you know that after a few more butt clenching action sequences she's gonna make it and everything's gonna be alright, the tension is lost. technically it's impeccable of course, the sound design and the visuals are 10/10.