Is that an actual clip from the movie? Is he holding a plastic baby?

I've just heard some stuff on a recent podcast about how much of a blatantly unsubtle propaganda film American Sniper is. I haven't seen it, but apparently they try to pass off the man as having an internal debate about killing (even though he makes the right call every time and none of his victims turn out to be innocents), and try to say he had some PTSD even though IRL he apparently actually took quite a bit of joy in the killing, as stated in his book the film was based on, and wasn't upset over it in the slightest. Those book quotes in that link are scary... not exactly the kind of person we should be idolizing with a rah rah jingoist film.

Here's the aforementioned discussion if you're curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lTjWrg4lo#t=3210

They go into detail about the sniper in question and how he'd been publicly caught lying about past events, as well as some humorous deconstruction of why it's just a shit movie to begin with, propaganda aside.

But again I haven't seen it so maybe they're all wrong and it's a masterpiece.

Edited by autopilot

yeah, apparently real babby didn't show and stand-in babby was sick, so they went with the third option, fake babby. it's fucking hilarious, look how stiff it is.

Is that an actual clip from the movie? Is he holding a plastic baby?

I've just heard some stuff on a recent podcast about how much of a blatantly unsubtle propaganda film American Sniper is. I haven't seen it, but apparently they try to pass off the man as having an internal debate about killing (even though he makes the right call every time and none of his victims turn out to be innocents), and try to say he had some PTSD even though IRL he apparently actually took quite a bit of joy in the killing, as stated in his book the film was based on, and wasn't upset over it in the slightest. Those book quotes in that link are scary... not exactly the kind of person we should be idolizing with a rah rah jingoist film.

Oh man, C'mon Eastwood...plastic baby? ugh.

My Wife's reading the book right now. All I've gotten out of her is that there are chapters dedicated to firearms & he's a good ole' boy. I'll post her final thoughts when she finishes it.

The Room. amazing/10. one of those films I was familiar with via youtube clips and etc but still nothing quite prepared me for the brilliance that was. laughing quite a bit during this one.

Sweet mother of lol, I've been telling myself I needed to see this for ages every time I'd see something from the film crop up here and there. Finally got round to it and nearly shit myself laughing. BUYING THIS ON DVD

So the only thing I've watched (more than a couple of times) is this superb review on the Room. Does it cover all the good bits or do I really have to watch the entire thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgIq7cxhJk

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I really have to watch the entire thing.

You think about everything, ha ha ha!

The-Room.jpg

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

giphy.gif

I'm embarrassed to say I actually paid money to see American Sniper over the weekend. From what I had heard, It sounded like a slick propaganda piece, and sure enough it was! So much rah rah American jingoist bullshit. On top of that, the movie itself was dull. Boring acting, shit direction, just mediocre in every way. Simplistic as hell view of the Iraq war (black vs white, good vs. evil). The guy the story was based on was full of shit. Of course audiences are eating it up. Weird how at the end there was no music as the credits rolled. So you had people shuffling awkwardly out of the theater. Just a weird, shitty experience being in a crowd full of people who actually liked the film and believed in all of its imperialist lies.

Godzilla 6/10 - Too many plot holes and boring lead characters drag this needlessly into the mud. CG, music and sound design are really good.

Cold in July 7/10 - Yeah it was ok, Don Johnson, Michael C Hall and Sam Shepard travel into the dark world of redneck Texas 1989. It's mullet central.

the empty hours (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3249158/) - really liked this one. i'm always interested in movies that deal with the mundane, the passage of time and this particular feeling of waiting for something, and this one does it very well, it barely has a script and yet it manages to captivate with its subdued cinematography and muted and beautiful environments and a few splashes of guitar led soundtrack. it's very well acted too, subtle and natural. just a very chill film in general.

^sounds good, +1 chill films.

'countryman'(1980) seen - b grade jamaican flick from island records/films; fts boobs in the 1st 5 mins, no famous actors or cgi, rasta wisdom, shonky overdubbing, awsm reggae soundtrack; irie/10

8175.jpg

inherent vice was better than the master but it was terrible imo. I feel like if I watch it again, I'd like it more but there's no way in hell I could sit through that again

American sniper was meh, the book is much better

what we do in the shadows - the office/spinal tap take on the vampire theme. could be acted a bit better though and written a bit sharper, plus it's anchored down by the format too much that it becomes predictable. but nevertheless, lols per minute is pretty high with this one. 7/10

Edited by eugene