favourite rockin Australian (or Oz-centric) films:

Wake in Fright,,,,,10/10 deeply disturbing yarn of an outsider's encounter of a small outback town

Walkabout......9/10 Nick Roeg goes off the map, in the best way

Picnic At Hanging Rock ......10/10 ethereal dreamscape turned bad trip

Romper Stomper 9/10 ...complete head-butt of a film, bleak as fuck but it has a nightmarish energy

The Castle.....7/10.....dry humoured domestic tale of Melbourne family

Edited by cwmbrancity

The Fighter - 8/10

Great, great film. Minus points for the ridiculous bunch of sisters (though I think that was intentional) and the continuous shouts of 'Micky, Micky, Micky, Micky, Dicky, Micky, Dicky, Dicky, Micky!' (though I think that was intentional too) In a sly sort of tongue in cheek way.

I'm not really a film boff but thought Christian Bale was brilliant.

Edited by beerwolf

Inherent vice = shit/10

That movie is a complete and pointless waste of time.

I could have spent 2 and a half hours doing just about anything else and felt better about my decision. Unfortunately, I didn't.

I completely see why it lost $13 million at the box office.

The Fighter - 8/10

Great, great film. Minus points for the ridiculous bunch of sisters (though I think that was intentional) and the continuous shouts of 'Micky, Micky, Micky, Micky, Dicky, Micky, Dicky, Dicky, Micky!' (though I think that was intentional too) In a sly sort of tongue in cheek way.

I think it was all intentional and fucking fantastically accurate tbh.

Inherent vice = shit/10

That movie is a complete and pointless waste of time.

I could have spent 2 and a half hours doing just about anything else and felt better about my decision. Unfortunately, I didn't.

I completely see why it lost $13 million at the box office.

Seriously! That's why you're supposed to actually adapt novels for the screen, people. So it doesn't turn out like fucking inherent vice. Fuck.

Edited by Candiru

The Fighter - 8/10

I think it was all intentional and fucking fantastically accurate tbh.

agreed, how he got anywhere with that dysfunctional family in tow is a miracle lol

Interstellar - 7/10

Could hardly understand what mcdonut was syaing throughout the movie. but nevertheless dropped a few tears a couple of times. really played with my emotions a couple of times..

:catcry: (was good, but i'm such a wussbag)

Watched two completely different, recent movies:

Theory of Everything is a nice emotional flick. Pretty well done and the acting was great.

Fury is a catastrophic failure on all fronts. If it wasn't for certain effects (AP round ricochet), the score would plummet to -100/10, but I give it -90/10

as a pynchon and pta fan i thought "inherent vice" was awesome. i think the only real issue i had with it is simply that it didn't exactly nail the tonal ambiguity of the book. in the book the paranoid stonerisms dovetailed with an elusive and sinister tone in a much more bizarre and moving way. the movie rather nailed the stoner stuff i think but the melancholy cultural backdrop (end of the 60s) was too often absent and i think doc's personal experience in the movie felt much more thin as a result. there were, however, some solid scenes that brought this home for me but i do feel like the bizarre tone of the book didn't translate so well. but that's not surprising bc...pynchon.

overall i thought the movie was great. i liked that it kept the conspiracy developing merely by introducing doc to all these fragmented conversations and brief encounters, thereby preventing a coherent picture from ever developing (bc, of course, doc is a totally unreliable protagonist). this was a cool structural way of capturing an aspect of the story (again, more evident in the book), viz., how this ever elusive conspiracy signifies for doc as well as his era a turning point from something familiar to something much more fragmented and foreboding. for doc personally this means the disintegration of his personal life, the reemergence of a kind of tragic, unresolved relationship from his past, the confrontation of his highly limited professional endeavors with something beyond the scope of his understanding of the world and the legal parameters in which he's used to navigating, etc. and this all takes place in a cultural environment where the known and familiar are eroding and beginning to spin on their heads -- there's that great line when he goes to the party just before conversing with owen wilson at the kitchen table which captures this perfectly. it's a wakeup call of sorts but doc is too stoned to work it all out.

i definitely think the movie had excellent acting and was pretty obviously funny throughout (lots of lols in the theater). imo it was a cool journey orbiting around a strange conspiracy that never really pans out which i guess is the perfect metaphor for a middle-age stoner life at the end of the 60s. it glorified the period with its humor but it at the same time it portrayed the the melancholy and futility of the era in a unique way. could've been a lot weirder but whatever man, this movie rules.

there will be blood is on my list of top 10 movies of all time. the master was really, really awesome too. boogie nights, magnolia, both great.

having said that, im amazed i managed to stay awake through all of inherent vice. i didn't hate it, but most of it was just one giant "meh". a sequence of scenes, and then it ended.

Birdman - 8/10

Really good, but I think it's one of those movies that gets better each time you watch it.

Definitely, kinda bittersweet to watch it in theaters because you know it'll be a while until you can watch it again... legally

Recently rewatched No Country for Old Men with a friend who had never seen it. Brilliant film, one of their best imo and I was picking up on some themes I missed the first few times I saw it

Edited by Danny O Flannagin

American Sniper 7/10 - Painting by numbers narrative. Realistic war scenes. It was alright.

Nosferatu The Vampyre 10/10 - Dawgs, this is a masterpiece.

Wagner through the mountain clouds, Georgian choral pieces, Popol Vuh everywhere,,,,and those are just the tunes

American Sniper 7/10 - Painting by numbers narrative. Realistic war scenes. It was alright.

Nosferatu The Vampyre 10/10 - Dawgs, this is a masterpiece.

Wagner through the mountain clouds, Georgian choral pieces, Popol Vuh everywhere,,,,and those are just the tunes

Ha, yeah i think Nosferatu is the perfect appetizer after Sniper. They're a p

air of bloodthirsty alpha male types and a bit daft Edited by Schlitze