Yeah, is it as good as I want it to be?

i thought it was really good. jodorowsky is very creative so even what should be a somewhat mediocre story becomes interesting because each of the characters are so individually unique and how they interact with one another becomes extremely dynamic: eg. the psychotic and over-the-top father's relationship with the constantly opera singing mom with boobs spilling out versus the father's relationship with his emotionally fragile and something lythe son.

at one point you can feel like this is a dysfunctional family, but jodorowsky seems to ignore dysfunctionality as something negative and presents it as a normal and perfectly acceptable dynamic to any family structure.

Incendies - 9/10 - Really beautiful film. Only thing I didn't love was the random Radiohead that kept popping up. Didn't quite fit imo.

Yeah, is it as good as I want it to be?

i thought it was really good. jodorowsky is very creative so even what should be a somewhat mediocre story becomes interesting because each of the characters are so individually unique and how they interact with one another becomes extremely dynamic: eg. the psychotic and over-the-top father's relationship with the constantly opera singing mom with boobs spilling out versus the father's relationship with his emotionally fragile and something lythe son.

at one point you can feel like this is a dysfunctional family, but jodorowsky seems to ignore dysfunctionality as something negative and presents it as a normal and perfectly acceptable dynamic to any family structure.

her boobs were everywhere....

^ Wow.

Whiplash 8/10 - I have a new appreciation for Burningn n Tree after this. If JK Simmons doesn't get best supporting actor at the Golden Globes then i'll eat the DVD of this when it comes out in June

^ Wow.

Whiplash 8/10 - I have a new appreciation for Burningn n Tree after this. If JK Simmons doesn't get best supporting actor at the Golden Globes then i'll eat the DVD of this when it comes out in June

The Golden Globes was a couple of days ago. And he won.

Speed is a childhood classic. I still enjoy it, ridiculously improbable bus jump and all. one of my friends drew that scene in pencil on our table at school and added wings to the bus and a speech bubble that said "AWK!", and we both laughed so hard we got kicked out of class.

Keanu does weird acting but I like him. strange thing is that he seems a lot more fluid and natural in Speed than he does in the recent John Wick.

Enemy - Atmospheric dread as thick as mustard & a similar color. 10/10 will watch again soon.

Agree with above. A great modern, sinister noir. I've been recommending this film to all and sundry for as lock as he clock chimes..

+1

Sarah Gadon is stunningly pretty, like so much so that she doesn't seem human. I think most of the current Hollywood starlet crew have nothing on her, not even ScarJo.

Sarah_Gadon_crop_low.jpg

Edited by usagi

Rashomon - rewatched again on a chunky dose of codeine this afternoon......shit hurts not for pleasure in itself

what a film and a some of the best story-telling, its shot framing, the characters,,,,absolute zero fat on it too, succinct and delicious

10/10

Performance ......hyped but worthy of the praise. The array of gangsters in itself is a work of art mixing menace and comedy, aswell as a last look at a London lost to time. James Fox is really good considering he's a bit of a toff irl, Guy Ritchie should be made to watch this with his eyelids held open Clockwork Orange styles to learn and "refocus"

9&half/10

Edited by cwmbrancity

Possession (1981) ......warped disturbing tale of a marriage in meltdown, where for plot-spoiler aversion you could say the wife might be harbouring a few secrets. Isabelle Adjani goes deep end while maintaining next-level goddess edibility

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082933/

twelvety/10

The twist ending to Incendies completely undermined the rest of the film for me. So contrived.

• Like 1

Inherent Vice - 9/10. Enjoyed this thoroughly. Lots of subtlety to the performances as well as lots of overt laughs at various scenes and situations. I felt it did a nice job of undulating between the surface level interactions and dipping it's feet in the larger and more in-depth issues and sort of paranoid mindset one can have delving into these things. A very labyrinthine plot that doesn't spoon feed you too much. Cheeky (literally in some instances) but also heartfelt and cerebral. Anderson seemed to get good performances out of nearly everyone (the exception being Owen Wilson who kinda lapsed into a Wes Andersonesque character in places imo).

The one thing I keep pondering:

I know that Johanna Newsom's character wasn't really there, more served as a personification of his intuition, but was his girlfriend really there? I know she's mentioned by nearly everyone in the movie, but you never really see her interact with anyone other than Doc, and only in his house/neighborhood. Just spit-balling. Need to watch it again.

Inherent Vice - 9/10. Enjoyed this thoroughly. Lots of subtlety to the performances as well as lots of overt laughs at various scenes and situations. I felt it did a nice job of undulating between the surface level interactions and dipping it's feet in the larger and more in-depth issues and sort of paranoid mindset one can have delving into these things. A very labyrinthine plot that doesn't spoon feed you too much. Cheeky (literally in some instances) but also heartfelt and cerebral. Anderson seemed to get good performances out of nearly everyone (the exception being Owen Wilson who kinda lapsed into a Wes Andersonesque character in places imo).

The one thing I keep pondering:

I know that Johanna Newsom's character wasn't really there, more served as a personification of his intuition, but was his girlfriend really there? I know she's mentioned by nearly everyone in the movie, but you never really see her interact with anyone other than Doc, and only in his house/neighborhood. Just spit-balling. Need to watch it again.

didn't read spoiler but everyone i know that's seen this movie has said it's incredibly tedious and pretentious. trailer looked to me like an uninteresting big lebowski ripoff 20 yrs too late.

finally got around to watching ayoade's submarine. had wanted to watch it since seeing the double last year. pales in comparison. not horrible but just looked like someone trying to imitate a wes anderson movie. expectations were pretty high though since the double is probably the best movie i saw in theatres last year

haha i found the double incredibly tedious and pretentious!

really looking forward to Inherent Vice though, even if it also tedious, not out in cinema till 30th in the UK :(

[youtubehd]Kn4SNjazkyY[/youtubehd]

Blaring sirens followed by a megaphone-toting man ranting about blasphemies start out this video, filmed by Times Square resident (and Wild Style director) Charlie Ahearn between the years 1981 and 1983. Shot from his window, the forty minute video, called "Doin' Time in Times Square," includes everything you'd expect from candid 1980s Times Square footage—slow mo knock-out punches, neon XXX signs, plenty of cameos from the NYPD, and chaos. The chaos, however, is interspersed with quiet scenes from inside the apartment where all of this was being filmed from. It's been described as "the home video from hell," and was shown at the New York Film Festival in the 1990s.