Guest bitroast

had a mate come over on the weekend and marathoned some films. going to post about them here.

first up was The Room. amazing/10. one of those films I was familiar with via youtube clips and etc but still nothing quite prepared me for the brilliance that was. laughing quite a bit during this one.

next, Samurai Cop. even more amazing/10 imo (altho they preferred the The Room). more film making incompetence only this time taking a crack at 80s action. non-stop lolling. these two films come very recommended :)

JOBS, starring ashton kutcher. this was trash and didn't exactly deliver on a so bad it's good level. was pretty boring but interesting at least to analyse just how bad and mediocre it is. I'd atleast read that official steve jobs biography so knew what the film was referring to. that's the thing, the film doesn't really tell a very accurate or detailed accounting of what happened but more just refers to things. it's like they left out a lot of the facts/details to streamline the story and keep to a easy to follow compelling narrative (like a failed Social Network??), but in leaving out so many details the story kind of boils down to "and then this happened for some reason" "and then this happened for some other reason, apparently", over and over again. wasn't expecting anything good, but the film does kind of fail on a. biopic level and b. interesting standalone film level. reducing wozniak to a chubby comic relief was pretty interesting choice too hehe.

lastly, DEMOLITION MAN. wow, great film. I get the feeling this works better today then it ever could have 20 years ago. the over abundance of 90s references despite being a film set in the future and terrible dialogue makes this a fun viewing, and as an action film it gets the job done. bit long IMO but still good solid fun.

///

weekend viewings aside, also been watching (based on chatmm recommendations, tyty) centure of the self. 4 part bbc doco on how 'Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud, and Edward Bernays influenced the way corporations and governments have analyzed, dealt with, and controlled people' -

Part 1 : http://vimeo.com/85948693

Part 2 : vimeo.com/album/3131630/video/75779119
Part 3 : vimeo.com/album/3111916/video/10245146
Part 4 : vimeo.com/album/3111916/video/75784765

Edited by bitroast

wtf happened to anime? this looks like a cheap flash animation compared to the original GITS.

it started on the 2nd movie, innocence...

just try and watch the new evangelion, 3.0, disgusting :(

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

The Room. amazing/10. one of those films I was familiar with via youtube clips and etc but still nothing quite prepared me for the brilliance that was. laughing quite a bit during this one.

Sweet mother of lol, I've been telling myself I needed to see this for ages every time I'd see something from the film crop up here and there. Finally got round to it and nearly shit myself laughing. BUYING THIS ON DVD

i get that excuse at work ALL THE TIME. you'd think it would be embarrassing but it seems to be a standard acceptable excuse. why?

"I understand"

neutralface.jpg

///

Whiplash:

unexpectedly intense, enjoyed throughout

Hunger Games 3:

fuck off

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence:

kind of like Kaurismäki but more abstract. weird

john wick - shit

elysium - poop, it feels like blomkamp runs out of ideas 20 mins into his movies, it's really identical to district 9 in this way. it starts with a promising exposition and setting, but then it just turns to completely inane and predictable crap with some laughable "social commentary" or whatever the fuck it is. i was actually really disaappointed when seanae mentioned that he likes him.

tree of life - still feel like i'm not getting most of the ideas behind this movie, especially the slideshows at the ends, but the "family drama/coming of age" portion is very beautifully told.

Guest bitroast

The Room. amazing/10. one of those films I was familiar with via youtube clips and etc but still nothing quite prepared me for the brilliance that was. laughing quite a bit during this one.

Sweet mother of lol, I've been telling myself I needed to see this for ages every time I'd see something from the film crop up here and there. Finally got round to it and nearly shit myself laughing. BUYING THIS ON DVD

oh hi denny

oh hi denny

I did naat hit her. I did naat. Oh hi Mark/Mork.

Gone Girl - Could have been much, much better with a totally different final 30 minutes, but just gets realllly stupid & unbelievable. Starts out as a great satire on media bloodlust, then becomes a really schlocky noir with unbelievably dumb cops & plot holes in the second half**. It's a shame because Fincher's films always look great, sound great, are very rich in mood, & have excellent acting, but the actual story/book the film is based on is just a bad one.

**Wouldn't the forensics team have known there was no DNA or anything from NPH's character anywhere in the house when she disappeared? Where did she keep the sperm sample for months upon months that Ben Affleck would never have discovered it? Doesn't that kind of stuff need to be in a very carefully controlled climate to survive? Or was this just another manipulation & she wasn't pregnant at all in the end? Whose car did she drive up to the Ozarks when she disappeared? Was it a rental? You can't rent a car with cash or without an ID. If it was her car, wouldn't the cops have been able to pick it up on the numerous traffic cams all over America?

Hopefully adapting popular supermarket trash novels like Dragon Tattoo & Gone Girl is just beefing up his coffers so he can drop another great one on us like Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, or Social Network.

Edited by autopilot

oh hi denny

I did naat hit her. I did naat. Oh hi Mark/Mork.

water story Mork!

**Wouldn't the forensics team have known there was no DNA or anything from NPH's character anywhere in the house when she disappeared? Where did she keep the sperm sample for months upon months that Ben Affleck would never have discovered it? Doesn't that kind of stuff need to be in a very carefully controlled climate to survive? Or was this just another manipulation & she wasn't pregnant at all in the end? Whose car did she drive up to the Ozarks when she disappeared? Was it a rental? You can't rent a car with cash or without an ID. If it was her car, wouldn't the cops have been able to pick it up on the numerous traffic cams all over America?

Ya, not finding any DNA was kinda weird but this isn't CSI, so i just went along with it for the sake of the story. About the car thing, Im pretty sure she just bought a used junker on craigslist and paid in cash. Matter of fact, i think there was even a quick shot in the montage of her buying it. It's been a while since i've seen the film