I was on leave from work recently and watched/rewatched a bunch of movies in my spare time. this included the two most recent movies in what is now a loose trilogy by Paul Schrader, beginning with First Reformed.

MG_PS_Trilogy_ENG.jpg?w=780

I wasn't even aware the last two existed until I saw ads for Master Gardener which is coming to cinemas here soon.

I like all of these actors a lot. and I like Schrader's thing a lot, his "alienated man" canon with its archetypes and tropes going all the way back to Taxi Driver. however, it has to be said that with each new movie in this vein, he has found less and less to mine. or perhaps it's not that there isn't anything more that can be said but rather that he's strayed further and further from what he's good at by experimenting with things that have not delivered. for one thing, I think he's a much better writer than he is a director. in the latter capacity, he has a tendency to make odd stylistic choices that don't quite jive well together, and I don't think he always has people around him who can bring out the best in him.

First Reformed remains exceptional to me. I was and am still moved to tears by parts of it, because of how simply, directly and unflinchingly it speaks to some of the issues of our time - not just the present-day unfolding catastrophe but the philosophical/existential dimensions of it all, which have been questions for us since the beginning. The Card Counter has some strengths, namely Oscar Isaac and his ability to speak volumes with just his body language, an expression and a few words intoned a certain way. Master Gardener has a nice bucolic mood to it, deliberately trying to be more optimistic against the gloom ("gardening is a belief in the future"), but in spite of good performances from Joel Edgerton et al, it's pretty loose and hardly bites. I'd say the last two are are both still worth a watch if you like Schrader's thing, but don't expect the tour de force of First Reformed.

I hate scoring art but just as an attempt to weigh these against each other, I'd probably go: First Reformed - 9/10, The Card Counter - 7/10, Master Gardener - 6/10. this is scoring by feel, not with complete objectivity, so probably a bit generous.

Spoiler

as an aside, this music from The Card Counter encapsulates the feel of the whole movie and is one of the best things about it.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, usagi said:

I was on leave from work recently and watched/rewatched a bunch of movies in my spare time. this included the two most recent movies in what is now a loose trilogy by Paul Schrader, beginning with First Reformed.

MG_PS_Trilogy_ENG.jpg?w=780

I wasn't even aware the last two existed until I saw ads for Master Gardener which is coming to cinemas here soon.

I like all of these actors a lot. and I like Schrader's thing a lot, his "alienated man" canon with its archetypes and tropes going all the way back to Taxi Driver. however, it has to be said that with each new movie in this vein, he has found less and less to mine. or perhaps it's not that there isn't anything more that can be said but rather that he's strayed further and further from what he's good at by experimenting with things that have not delivered. for one thing, I think he's a much better writer than he is a director. in the latter capacity, he has a tendency to make odd stylistic choices that don't quite jive well together, and I don't think he always has people around him who can bring out the best in him.

First Reformed remains exceptional to me. I was and am still moved to tears by parts of it, because of how simply, directly and unflinchingly it speaks to some of the issues of our time - not just the present-day unfolding catastrophe but the philosophical/existential dimensions of it all, which have been questions for us since the beginning. The Card Counter has some strengths, namely Oscar Isaac and his ability to speak volumes with just his body language, an expression and a few words intoned a certain way. Master Gardener has a nice bucolic mood to it, deliberately trying to be more optimistic against the gloom ("gardening is a belief in the future"), but in spite of good performances from Joel Edgerton et al, it's pretty loose and hardly bites. I'd say the last two are are both still worth a watch if you like Schrader's thing, but don't expect the tour de force of First Reformed.

I hate scoring art but just as an attempt to weigh these against each other, I'd probably go: First Reformed - 9/10, The Card Counter - 7/10, Master Gardener - 6/10. this is scoring by feel, not with complete objectivity, so probably a bit generous.

Reveal hidden contents

as an aside, this music from The Card Counter encapsulates the feel of the whole movie and is one of the best things about it.

Thanks for real for the proper review. Also thanks because I absolutely loved First Reformed (imo maybe his best script since taxi driver) and I had absolutely no clue that the other two films existed. It’s embarrassing because I consider myself a soft Schraeder fan. I say “soft” because his work, however great, almost always feels like a punch in the gut. You never go into one of his films expecting to have a laugh. I’m glad he does what he does, though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Thanks for real for the proper review. Also thanks because I absolutely loved First Reformed (imo maybe his best script since taxi driver) and I had absolutely no clue that the other two films existed. It’s embarrassing because I consider myself a soft Schraeder fan. I say “soft” because his work, however great, almost always feels like a punch in the gut. You never go into one of his films expecting to have a laugh. I’m glad he does what he does, though. 

cheers. I knew I had to say something about these movies that tied them all together but I couldn't quite settle on how, it took me a long time to write that up and I still don't think it does the job right. but if you know Schrader, you know what I'm talking about and you'll know what you're in for if you try the more recent two films. you might get something out of them in spite of their shortcomings (I did).

First Reformed itself isn't completely flawless either (people take issue with the ending etc) but it was much more pure and crystalline as a whole. if you clicked with it, you really clicked. probably his finest moment as a director.

• Like 2

I liked Card Counter a lot, watched it twice since it came out. Had an argument with my friend about whether or not Tiffany Haddish should have been cast as the female lead. I thought she was decent enough to carry the role and that she brought some needed lightness and comic relief. For some reason Schraeder likes casting stand-up comedians in his super serious movies. Feel like Cedric the Entertainer was a really good choice for First Reformed, loved his work in that movie.

5 hours ago, usagi said:

The Card Counter has some strengths, namely Oscar Isaac and his ability to speak volumes with just his body language, an expression and a few words intoned a certain way.

This is spot on, felt like he gave a great performance. This is the only fictional film I've seen to really grapple with state sanctioned torture with such depth, and I saw no false notes in his performance and also that it was rather unique. That dude has range as an actor too, felt like his comic/musical performance in the Coen bros movies Inside Llewyn Davis was also really good.

I still have not seen Mishima, which some say is a great one by Schrader. I like his movie American Gigolo a lot. Not a huge Richard Gere fan, but he's really good in that and his look/public image in Hollywood at the time suit the role perfectly. I also love Schrader's Light Sleeper. Willem Dafoe is the lead as a mid-level drug dealer in NYC. All of Schrader's movies explore the same Christian guilt theme imo, but he seems to have done a great job of keeping it fresh.

p_107310.jpg

this was TERRIBLE mainly due to two things: the film doesn't seem to have made a decision of what it's trying to communicate and how best to illustrate this, but the clear gaping maw of a wound here is the dialogue. not sure if the director just had ESL students write his dialogue for him but this has to be some of the worst dialogue i've ever had to put up with in a mainstream film.

also, i get the feeling "the director of rogue one" thinks he's an auteur especially considering the (almost) 3 hr runtime 

• Haha 1

I haven't watch any horror movies in years until now, Latest before that was "Heradetery" or something like that! 🙂

You guys have more recommendations? 

Honestly SINISTER is the most scary movie I ever seen with a really creepy feeling and atmosphere going on all the time and doesn't rely on cheap jump scares!
If you know any movie like this than hit me up! 

Edited by cern

32 minutes ago, cern said:

I haven't watch any horror movies in years until now, Latest before that was "Heradetery" or something like that! 🙂

Honestly the most scary movie I ever seen with a really creepy feeling and atmosphere going on all the time and doesn't rely on cheap jump scares!

top of my head - same director - ari gold?

Midsommar

u like female psychological thrillers?

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

top of my head - same director - ari gold?

Midsommar

u like female psychological thrillers?

Yeah totally, but what makes it female? Thanks alot I will watch Midsommar for sure! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cern said:

Yeah totally, but what makes it female? Thanks alot I will watch Midsommar for sure! 

well, if the main character is a woman... or a trans woman... but not a man or a trans man... 🤷‍♂️

what's the difference you might ask...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

well, if the main character is a woman... or a trans woman... but not a man or a trans man... 🤷‍♂️

what's the difference you might ask...

Yeah that sounds more feminine ofc.. Can u name some movies? Google said Ari Gold is a fictional character btw 

29 minutes ago, cern said:

Yeah that sounds more feminine ofc.. Can u name some movies? Google said Ari Gold is a fictional character btw 

lol 🤦‍♂️ 

Ari Aster

not all fit quite well in the description but browse it away... I'll select more specific ones when I have time...

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls089551482

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cern said:

Honestly the most scary movie I ever seen with a really creepy feeling and atmosphere going on all the time and doesn't rely on cheap jump scares!

Are you talking about Hereditary or The Conjuring?

I thought Sinister was a bit similar in atmosphere to the latter.

Also Insidious for sure.

1 minute ago, IDEM said:

Are you talking about Hereditary or The Conjuring?

I thought Sinister was a bit similar in atmosphere to the latter.

Also Insidious for sure.

Lol I forgot to type the name of the movie itself.. Yes I ment Sinister! That one was very creepy in a good way. 
He is struggling with stuff in his life and he start to get little bit obsessed over some snuff films and you know something is going on around him. 

It is a very brilliant way to do a horror movie I think! Hereditary was so good also but little bit more sad tho

9 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

I liked Card Counter a lot, watched it twice since it came out. Had an argument with my friend about whether or not Tiffany Haddish should have been cast as the female lead. I thought she was decent enough to carry the role and that she brought some needed lightness and comic relief. For some reason Schraeder likes casting stand-up comedians in his super serious movies. Feel like Cedric the Entertainer was a really good choice for First Reformed, loved his work in that movie.

this is why I was torn while doing the writeup, cos I definitely like it and it has replay value for me personally, but trying to assess it objectively against his other work means it inevitably comes up short. Master Gardener is significantly weaker though, and I say that even though I consider Joel Edgerton is one of Australia's best atm.

I also saw some online commentary bashing Tiffany Haddish unfairly. she's clearly trying a role she's not used to and putting in the effort to make it work, and I think she pulled it off for the most part. she just needs to expose herself to more varied roles like this and become more seasoned for it to feel a bit more natural. Cedric has that depth already, I agree he was perfect for that role.

10 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

I also love Schrader's Light Sleeper.

I've been meaning to make time for this one. there's also Bringing Out The Dead with ye olde Nic Cage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cern said:

Lol I forgot to type the name of the movie itself.. Yes I ment Sinister! That one was very creepy in a good way. 
He is struggling with stuff in his life and he start to get little bit obsessed over some snuff films and you know something is going on around him. 

It is a very brilliant way to do a horror movie I think! Hereditary was so good also but little bit more sad tho

Ha, at least I wasn't far off with my suggestion!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:40 PM, cern said:

Honestly SINISTER is the most scary movie I ever seen with a really creepy feeling and atmosphere going on all the time and doesn't rely on cheap jump scares!

Babadook. 

Just watched Warrior. Wish I had never pressed play on it, because it wasn't bad enough to switch off, neither was it ever going to be good enough. Fucking terrible movie, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Looking at the cast I was hoping for something similar to The Fighter but it was a million miles away. Utter shit, but cunning enough to trick me into watching the whole fucking thing. Avoid.

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Babadook. 

Just watched Warrior. Wish I had never pressed play on it, because it wasn't bad enough to switch off, neither was it ever going to be good enough. Fucking terrible movie, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Looking at the cast I was hoping for something similar to The Fighter but it was a million miles away. Utter shit, but cunning enough to trick me into watching the whole fucking thing. Avoid.

I don't like that woman with the screaming kid.. gets me annoyed. 

Can't watch Hollywood movies about Boxing and MMA at all because everything is fake! 
There is no point at watching someone compete in a brutal MMA Competition to win but all is fake! 😒

Just now, cern said:

don't like that woman with the screaming kid.. gets me annoyed. 

yeah that movie is annoying af...

Just now, cern said:

Can't watch Hollywood movies about Boxing and MMA at all because everything is fake! 
There is no point at watching someone compete in a brutal MMA Competition to win but all is fake

442768.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Killer. super by the numbers but rendered highly watchable by Fincher's style/precision and Assbender's magnetism. I think alco's interpretation makes sense, but it's so subtle that it may as well not be there. e.g. that "I don't give a fuck" line is cringy and delivered so straight that most viewers will take it at face value. anyway, I didn't think about it much after and I don't expect I'll rewatch it anytime soon. maybe it'll settle in with time and deserve a re-appraisal at some point.

Spoiler

why does some venturebro in Chicago want to kill some nibba in Paris? who cares, I guess

• Like 3