So, it popped up on HBO recently so I watched Barbie. First off, it looked great. Felt like I´d done a small line of charlie and eaten five balloons worth of candyfloss. Other than that I´m not quite sure what to make of it. Some weird hybrid of Zoolander, Idiocracy and Teletubbies. The social commentary elements felt jarring and at odds with the general vibe of the whole thing and I kept wishing it would just be a straight up OTT musical comedy deal. Maybe there´s something I´m not getting, but seemed like it was trying to make a grand statement based on a vapid set of lowest common denominators. 

• Like 3

345305H1.jpg

really enjoyed this. one of the best films scorsese has made in a while. imo, lily gladstone can easily win an oscar for this, and whoever did the production design.

Spoiler

my only issue is how (and why) they omitted to address how the osage never figured out it who it was killing them especially when it happened so blatantly. maybe willingful ignorance?

easy nine out of ten from me

• Like 4

Just watched Robocop for the first time. Somehow missed to watch it before. Feels not dated at all. Some scenes reminded me of the 90s animated turtles series with one guy falling in toxic waste and then walking around as a mutant 

IMG_2598.jpeg.cbad46feb390bb3423f339a36a3c9a90.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Big Brain 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:01 PM, cern said:

Im in for a Thriller, had it been any good movies at all in this year?

This movie was made in the early 80s, so it's fairly old, but if you are in the mood for a good political thriller, can't recommend this one highly enough if you have not yet seen. Brian De Palma's Blow Out

image.jpeg.89abcaa06757e39c2077b7276aa15c02.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

This movie was made in the early 80s, so it's fairly old, but if you are in the mood for a good political thriller, can't recommend this one highly enough if you have not yet seen. Brian De Palma's Blow Out

image.jpeg.89abcaa06757e39c2077b7276aa15c02.jpeg

Good film that.

Not from this year either, but  Polanski's The Ghost Writer is worth checking out.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:01 AM, cern said:

What movie should I watch next? 

Im in for a Thriller, had it been any good movies at all in this year?

the conversation by ff coppola is great. 

i’ve seen it a few times.

when first watching, the extra concentration i tend to put in helps.

pretty engrossing.

https://youtu.be/elJL5D6HTvA?si=ipclfIgOmnV8x6XG

Edited by logboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saw Indy 6 on Disney+, and what a steaming pile of dung that was. Not even the lamest excuse for a story, just a bunch of mindless chase and action sequences taped together with no redeeming humor whatsoever and a supporting actress severely lacking in charisma. Worst flick I've seen in a while. And this is coming from someone who didn't even terribly mind the much-maligned Crystal Skull one. RIP Indiana Jones, sorry it had to end like this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Rebel_moon_part1_poster.jpg

terrible star wars episode one phantom menace rip off. immediately this began, my wife and i began to talk, then she asked me about 5 minutes later, "why are we watching this?"
it's the kind of film which plays a formula by the numbers and every other character has a "unique foreign made-up accent" and a vested interest in something you don't care about.

synderverse out of ten

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Nebraska said:

terrible star wars episode one phantom menace rip off. immediately this began, my wife and i began to talk, then she asked me about 5 minutes later, "why are we watching this?"
it's the kind of film which plays a formula by the numbers and every other character has a "unique foreign made-up accent" and a vested interest in something you don't care about.

synderverse out of ten

Just watched the trailer again and using these images of half naked people wearing this black cloak over their head reminded me a lot of these torture images from Guantanamo that where released some years ago and I find it very disgusting to lean into this for entertainment purposes 

• Farnsworth 1

Yea just watched Rebel Moon too. Nothing new here with what we are seeing these days.  People of color, women and non binaries fight against evil white men. 

Just about everything was shiite.  I legit thought I was watching a parody at one point.  I found myself cracking up here or there at how bad it was.

I was hoping Rotten Tomatoes was wrong because i just love sci fi but their score is almost spot on 2 or 3 / 10.

I'm not watching that Snyder thing after watching sucker punch a while back. That guy should be barred from writing and directing a film. 

Worst movie of all time 

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, picklish2 said:

All the Mr Oizo/Quentin Dupieux films

Realite/Wrong Cops/Yannick were my favourites, but I enjoyed most of the others too, just that style of French absurdism 

myman.png.a1306783ca581b219ad520b9b3dae641.png

Edited by cruising for burgers

On 12/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, Nebraska said:

synderverse out of ten

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

9fdb7680-f48b-4700-9723-4e33373b4265_533

didn't have high hopes for this because it's "from director eli roth" but i also didn't expect it to be on the zack synder spectrum of terrible out of ten

I enjoyed it apart from the end 

Just needed more death