IGNORED

Atoms for Peace - Amok

sidewinder

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I streamed it 4 times in a row from the site (seems to be quite short?) the other night while working on things. I preface this by saying I'm a 20+ year Radiohead/Thom Thom Yorke fan but this album seems to finally make it click in my head why Thom has so much Warp hero worship. You see the subforum folk make vastly disparate yet singularly incredible discographies over the exact period as him. There is also a great deal of risk in the albums. Thom, while still making solid, good tunes, appears to be hopelessly "Thom" forever. The Amok material sounds exactly like Eraser II but that album's 7 years old. Further still, it's still ghosty legato Yorke layers floating over everything. It's exciting to hear a meaty bass pluck that's clearly Flea but it doesn't seem novel enough to distinguish it from Radiohead or Thom solo-mode.

On the psychoanalytic side, Thom's risk-aversion seems obvious with tracks like "No Surprises, "Killer Cars", "Paranoid Android" and other dark, cloistered and panicked content. At any rate, I still love the wee gam-eyed sad sack and will listen to him forever

good post

I enjoy this and all, but I think instead of using the band to basically just create a bunch of samples for Thom and Nigel to use, they should have actually recorded it as a real band. King Of Limbs had the same vibe to me, just solo Thom Yorke.

Still had not had my vinyl arrive yet. They did send out an email that there were delays but should've arrived by the end of last week, and I did receive the CD. No repy after three days from Sandbag yet either. Anyone else in the UK still not had the vinyl arrive yet? This is starting to really fuck me off, especially as they're now saying they've sold out.

wasn't sure about this after listening to the stream but finally got it and enjoying it now i've had a proper listen. Like how its nice and funky and sounds quite different from Radiohead or the Eraser.. Dont like how Thom seems to hide his vocals on it, one of my favourite things about the eraser was how upfront his voice was, think this will be a grower though and am alreday enjoying it quite a lot so given time could be a good un

I'm starting to get a little bit hooked on this. I definitely see it as a sequel to the Eraser. Had a look at the tour details, apparently it's just Godrich and Yorke and a set of decks? Wat in the actual heck!? They must think they're Shoebaleader One or something....

Really? Thats pretty wank thought they whole point of Atoms for Peace was that they could be a "Proper" band. Though guessing flea and that drummer dude prob have other commitments

Guest bitroast

I'm starting to get a little bit hooked on this. I definitely see it as a sequel to the Eraser. Had a look at the tour details, apparently it's just Godrich and Yorke and a set of decks? Wat in the actual heck!? They must think they're Shoebaleader One or something....

No no the initial live shows have been thom/Nigel dj sets, but 'full band' shows are definitely comig later in the year :)

http://radiohead.com/deadairspace/

Why hire a drummer and a percussionist to record if you don't want it to sound like they were even there? The live vids of them playing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the album. I want to hear your thoughts everyone.

Guest bitroast

I like the album, but I kind of agree. A little bit.

The album sounds (mostly) great. Tracks like ingenue, default etc. sound just about perfect. But it's hard to pass by the fact that the band have an insane level of energy together and this has been lost on the album.

Still though. This is the album. I'm happy with it. And there's still the live shows which I'm sure wil sound incredible.

I hope they do a From the basement performance or something. The live band deserve to have a record of some sort. Amok is clearly not this record:)

I do dig the album, the title track is greatness, but I do think there's more potential in finding the right mix of sequenced electronic music and live band interaction to really give it a kick in the pants.

Guest bitroast

some of the production qualities do bug me a bit.

like, the cd/digital format is compressed to hell. asif it's some overly popular dance record or something (the fact that tracks like ingenue clip is just... ridiculous).

also, the drums are a bit slop in places as well. like, the over bearing clicks and clacks on default/amok/reverse running i have to force myself to ignore.

but i still enjoy the album for what it is.

and you're right. the above^ production is just a little more annoying when you know that this is the band the records are being sourced from.

I kind of agree with the previous posts, but that said I love the shit out of this album. Fuck's sake though, I've been advised to expect further delays with the vinyl. Don't expect to actually see it now, last time I order from Sandbag.

Guest bitroast

mine arrived pretty quickly from XL Recordings. no complaints.

the quality of the package is really nice too. actually. with the embossed sections. nice quality cardboard. shiny foiled meteors.

& !! it came with TWO download cards. get to download the drm-free album twice :D

I do dig the album, the title track is greatness, but I do think there's more potential in finding the right mix of sequenced electronic music and live band interaction to really give it a kick in the pants.

Precisely. If I didn't know there was a full band behind the album though, I'd just be happy to listen to a good electronic album.

Woah I just read this from a local record shop on Facebook...

"Holy crap! Thom Yorke pulled Sonic Boom Records in a lottery to decide where to sell 100 limited copies of the new Atoms for Peace 12". We're the only store in the US with these and you can get them starting today. $16.99 (limit 1 per customer)"

At first I thought it was for the album. Maybe I don't want to spend $17 on a 12" though. But it's nearby and I could go pick one up.

Guest bitroast

vinyl isn't an investment... unless it's a thom yorke limited to 100 copies only vinyl sold only in one store.

you could pick one up. keep it in the shrink wrap for a few weeks. and then decide if it's worth keeping / selling on internets.

(i'm keen to hear the SAD b-side, so im glad to see this is being released soon:)

Archived