Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

cear

Guest isaki

that song fucking sucks and it needs to die of anal sadness

It is now unavoidable that my next band will be called anal sadness

lol

Within and Instant Crush are really lovely

all the vocoder parts on this record really are sexy and slick

not a fan of the musical-y vocals of Touch and Pharells singing on Get Lucky, also Giorgio talking over his track and the violins + rock part is pretty lame too

other than that good ol honest funky cheesy pop :) Good Job!

Edited by vincentvc

Within and Instant Crush are really lovely

all the vocoder parts on this record really are sexy and slick

not a fan of the musical-y vocals of Touch and Pharells singing on Get Lucky, also Giorgio talking over his track and the violins + rock part is pretty lame too

good ol honest funky cheesy pop :) Good Job!

I'm liking it a bit more now that I've started treating it as cheese, might bump up my original 4/10 rating slightly.

i will concede that touch will probably be the worst track of 2013. i can see what they were going for but it's just... bad.

It's my favourite track on the record. :cerious:

haha, between that and Fragments of Time for me. The vocal starting from 4:28 in Touch is lovely as fuck.

I'm liking it a bit more now that I've started treating it as cheese, might bump up my original 4/10 rating slightly.

I've started enjoying music generally a lot more ever since I decided that there's no such thing (for me at least) as cheese, or guilty pleasures. Nobody should ever feel guilty about enjoying any style of music.

i will concede that touch will probably be the worst track of 2013. i can see what they were going for but it's just... bad.

It's my favourite track on the record. :cerious:

haha, between that and Fragments of Time for me. The vocal starting from 4:28 in Touch is lovely as fuck.

I've started enjoying music generally a lot more ever since I decided that there's no such thing (for me at least) as cheese, or guilty pleasures. Nobody should ever feel guilty about enjoying any style of music.

Spot on, modey. I really hated the record at first, but I figured I was treating it as something it isn't claiming to be.

Therefore, I'm enjoying it more now. :cisfor:

Edited by NorthernFusion

This x1000, I'm not surprised we both like the album.

(This isn't meant to slight anyone by the way, I'm totally cool with people thinking it sucks, whatever the reason.)

Guest ZombieLincoln666

If you acknowledge that an album is terrible, it is kind of fun to listen to it.

So basically RAM is the equivalent of the film The Room.

That about right hmmmm?

No, I actually legitimately enjoy listening to it. But I guess you guys shouldn't listen to me because I also legitimately enjoy Coldplay and Justin Timberlake.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

No, I actually legitimately enjoy listening to it. But I guess you guys shouldn't listen to me because I also legitimately enjoy Coldplay and Justin Timberlake.

What music don't you like?

zole

zole

If you acknowledge that an album is terrible, it is kind of fun to listen to it.

So basically RAM is the equivalent of the film The Room.

That about right hmmmm?

Not sure, because I seriously think the Room is one of the greatest cultural achievements of the 21st century, albeit unintentionally. It's like when the females on Jurassic Park were able to reproduce because Nature found them a penis except in the form of a full-length film.

People who like the song Touch, please explain why. All I hear is fucking Liberace vocals that make me want to destroy all sound playing devices.

zole

LOL

Edited by Ceerial

People who like the song Touch, please explain why. All I hear is fucking Liberace vocals that make me want to destroy all sound playing devices.

I made myself push through the opening myself, but the song itself grew on me quickly, mostly because tracks 1-5 were so underwhelming (The second half of the album is a lot better imo), and track 6 had woken me up but not impressed. It's one of the few that sounds like they actually worked on it for awhile and once I finished the album it was easily my favorite, but a favorite off a decent, not great, album.

I completely understand anyone who can't stomach it. It just oozes the 70s, as the singer Paul Williams about quintessentially 70s as you can get. Personally it reminded me of some of the "epic" songs off the last M83 album, which I would say is the epic and emotionally gripping album that Daft Punk could never fucking make themselves, even with help from a bunch of industry legends. I finally read the Pfork cover story and it's clear they just made an album in a style they admire (they mention their love for the cult movie Phantom_of_the_Paradise a lot. The fact that people are entertaining their grandiose "real music" concept behind the album is annoying (I think zombie mentioned this the most). They tried taking a break from drum machines and samplers and it didn't work. It's that simple. Listening to the album at it's worst is kind of like watching Madonna or Bono strum a guitar (ok maybe not that bad but it's in the same vein).

I thought they were going to record grooves and then sample them which would have been brilliant. Instead, it seems they simply sought to recreate a bygone era. More emulation than inspiration.

I like a handful of the tracks. And I think they could do amazing things with these songs live (like they did with the Human After All songs which were also pretty bad as an album).

Edited by LOL Alzado

I thought they were going to record grooves and then sample them which would have been brilliant. Instead, it seems they simply sought to recreate a bygone era. More emulation than inspiration.

I like a handful of the tracks. And I think they could do amazing things with these songs live (like they did with the Human After All songs which were also pretty bad as an album).

Portishead actually did that right? Or maybe they just sampled vinyl crackle.

I hope they perform live, it made so many people re-assess Homework and I feel they could do the same again. I think they indicated they won't though.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

The album sounds like a bunch of talented studio musicians playing really bland disco songs with vocoder vocals over it.
I don't think this a coincidence.

Just biked into say the NME (which seems to of got a lot better the last few months, I think the last person in charge was booted out half a year ago) gave this 10/10

I don't recall a 10/10 ever.... perhaps OK Computer....

Anyway just thought I'd let all you fans know. I think the NME might be a good read for you, loads and loads on DP. NOt for me mind.

What music don't you like?

Not a lot, genre-wise. Off the top of my head, Latin American music has never done anything for me. Same with a lot of traditional music, but that's not really fair since I haven't given it much time.

I don't have much exposure to mainstream media anymore so I think that allows me to appreciate pop music without it being force fed to me until it's burned out. I do hate Katy Perry's songs with a passion though.

Oh, also, I think 99% of breakcore is fucking terrible. But I think that came from attending too many one-dimensional warehouse parties in Sydney.

I'm honestly trying to like this album. The excess of vocoder is making me angry. Is it sad that Giorgio by Moroder is my favorite track so far? I totally dig the hat tip to the '70s vibe of funk and disco but I just don't see myself playing this over like a fiend. I see it getting shelved quickly.