IGNORED

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

cear

I'm surprised by comments like this one:

Oh look, a bunch of dull bandwagon jumpers don't like a musically ambitious and diverse album by a band who want to stretch out of their "House" box. Who gives a shit. Surprised by FourTet though. I thought he had more imagination than that.

It's not that most of the people hate the "non-similarity with Discovery" or something like that. It's 'cause the album, actually, really sucks. It's plain bad.

Edited by logakght

strangely this album sounds like a very expensive and hard worked on throw back to older disco electronic music, moreso than any of their previous work. Yet it ends up sounding even more cheesy and less special than almost anything from the era they are trying to emulate. Maybe a 5 million dollar Zodiac or Munich Machine album would end up sounding like this, but id rather have this type of music on a shoe string budget, it doesnt end up sounding like saccharine over produced shite.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

strangely this album sounds like a very expensive and hard worked on throw back to older disco electronic music, moreso than any of their previous work. Yet it ends up sounding even more cheesy and less special than almost anything from the era they are trying to emulate. Maybe a 5 million dollar of a Zodiac album would end up sounding like this, but id rather have this type of music on a shoe string budget, it doesnt end up sounding like saccharine over produced shite.

yea it's something like that alright, a polished shite.

After 20 years, the world has finally

caught up with Daft Punk,

lol really !! guess the writer missed the whole nu disco and big beat thing.

Pitchfork actually loved big beat, but the founder and those writers have since left and the site has purged those reviews among others. Now forgotten Bentley Rhythm Ace (who are underrated imo) and Monkey Mafia actually got 8+ reviews!

They've been lukeworm to Daft Punk until recently. They gave Homework 7.6, Discovery a 6.4, Human After All 4.9 and Daft Club 1.3 along with one the greatest bashings of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories

holy shit. is the "Reception" a troll?

No, it's just that no one will dare to give it a mediocre review or being called out as assholes for criticizing it. It might be payola but personally I think many will see the album as some kind of anti-EDM anti-dubstep narrative, as if it's a salvation against the current popularity of aggressive and shitty dance music. Also, many wiki reviews of Top 40 songs use industry reviews than no serious music fans take seriously (E! news, Billboard, People Magazine, ahem, Rolling Stone, etc.) and even the lamest pop songs, like "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida, are noted as having "mixed to positive reception" with such reviews cited.

Edited by joshuatx

Guest nuclearaddict

The more I listen to it the less I like it. There's really not much to go back to.

Guest Margatroid

I'm still trying to digest it. I like the Moroder track, and I like "Beyond" a lot, but the sad robot slow disco tracks are pretty difficult to sit through, and the Paul Williams thing is just fucking bizarre.

Why did they feel the need to put slide guitar on "Fragments of Time"? I feel like I would enjoy that song about 100% more if they hadn't. Really weird.

Edit: The main thing I'm noticing here is that a lot of it is just so prosaic. Many of these songs could be much more interesting if they had just used filters, or added some interesting bridges, or just TOOK the songs somewhere instead of repeating another 4-bar loop. Like, "Lose Yourself to Dance" could've been a good song if they had made it dynamic in those ways, and not used fucking Pharell as a singer. He's absolutely not a good choice for a Michael Jackson stand-in. His voice sounds strained at the top of his range and his intonation is just annoying. Really poor choice.

Edited by Margatroid

I think they kind of lost the plot throughout the making of this. they probably had cool intentions but them got do wrapped up in recreating stuff, they kind if forgot they were supposed to be creating something. if that makes any sense.

Pitchfork's huge "cover story" = making up for never giving Daft Punk more than 7.6 on any previous review.

Also, agree with the comments about the tempo being a huge detriment. These tracks upped 8-16% with some frantic 909 programming and I have to admit I'd be loving the album, not merely deeming it pleasantly groovy.

Pitchfork's huge "cover story" = making up for never giving Daft Punk more than 7.6 on any previous review.

Also, agree with the comments about the tempo being a huge detriment. These tracks upped 8-16% with some frantic 909 programming and I have to admit I'd be loving the album, not merely deeming it pleasantly groovy.

like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0PDYevkac

(pitched up semitone to avoid detection)

Last 60 seconds or so are pretty decent, the rest is so bland I can't even begin to comprehend it. Had to take two breaks just to get through the album. Note to self: Never play again.

woah. I downloaded and listened today without reading any of this thread and I actually fucking love it so far (then again I tend to love a lot of things you guys despise). Reminds me of Alan Parsons Project's 70s stuff in parts.

Reminds me of Alan Parsons Project's 70s stuff in parts.

The problem is exactly this - all of the album has been done before, and much better.