• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting a bit fucking tired of this soap opera playing out in the media already. Did anyone really believe that last month's 'He's not doing it!' headline was anything more than just a news-grabbing, twitter friendly soundbite in order to drum up more hype.

I'm beginning to think Oscillik was right. This thing needs to go away. I'm losing interest in it even before it's hit the TV screens.

And the way Lynch is hyping it up too... he sure better deliver after all this.

Same here, glad to see this work out instead of getting some halfassed work without Lynch (not to mention the actors dropping out if he wasn't in). I assume Lynch leaving in the first place was more of a negotiation tactic for him then a purposefully created hype machine, and at least it payed off with even more episodes than the 9 originally planned.

Bring it on I say.

I'm getting a bit fucking tired of this soap opera playing out in the media already. Did anyone really believe that last month's 'He's not doing it!' headline was anything more than just a news-grabbing, twitter friendly soundbite in order to drum up more hype.

I'm beginning to think Oscillik was right. This thing needs to go away. I'm losing interest in it even before it's hit the TV screens.

And the way Lynch is hyping it up too... he sure better deliver after all this.

Fuck off, he owes you nothing.

also, I am very excited by this news.

Edited by tec

Showtime confirmed the revival minutes after Lynch's announcement, and added even more good news: Lynch will direct the entire series, and it will be longer than the expected nine episodes.

Nice! :biggrin:

so you think lynch and the ceo of showtime deliberately pretended that they couldn't come to an agreement about the budget just so they could build hype 2 years in advance? has lynch done anything even remotely close to that before in the anticipation of a project to build hype, or do you think he just decided to start now?

This will only work if the original actors are just supporting characters IMO

yeah, except lynch is creative enough to make it work. the fact that him and mark frost had been writing twin peaks before showtime approached them means they've had some time to cook up a good explanation - especially considering pete martel is now dead

so you think lynch and the ceo of showtime deliberately pretended that they couldn't come to an agreement about the budget just so they could build hype 2 years in advance? has lynch done anything even remotely close to that before in the anticipation of a project to build hype, or do you think he just decided to start now?

Sure. I mean we live in the social media age. There was never any way this wasn't going to get made. It just feels like a calculated bit of PR. I fully expect more things like key cast members dropping out due to creative differences only to be reinstated a month or two later when the artistic differences have been resolved. All of it played out on Twitter and Facebook.

I'm not saying Lynch needs that, but if he is savvy, he is going to use every thing available to increase visibility.

Edited by fumi

of course, same way as this is another marketing maneuver...

The fight broke out at Twin Peaks restaurant and spilled into the parking lot. It quickly escalated from hands and feet, as weapons, to gunfire, Swanton said.

150517174746-05b-waco-shooting-twin-peak

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest bitroast

Sure. I mean we live in the social media age. There was never any way this wasn't going to get made. It just feels like a calculated bit of PR. I fully expect more things like key cast members dropping out due to creative differences only to be reinstated a month or two later when the artistic differences have been resolved. All of it played out on Twitter and Facebook.

I'm not saying Lynch needs that, but if he is savvy, he is going to use every thing available to increase visibility.

This seems rather detached from reality ??

Yeah, well there are two sides to this. I don't think any of this was planned. I do think that Lynch is incredibly hard to work with (watch LynchOne and you'll know what I mean) and since things didn't go the way he wanted them to, he let everyone know and he knew exactly what the reaction was going to be which put Showtime on their knees.

Yeah, well there are two sides to this. I don't think any of this was planned. I do think that Lynch is incredibly hard to work with (watch LynchOne and you'll know what I mean) and since things didn't go the way he wanted them to, he let everyone know and he knew exactly what the reaction was going to be which put Showtime on their knees.

I am glad he got Showtime down on their knees. TV people have always been giving him shit. ABC pushed Lynch so hard with Twin Peaks he fucked off, which is the reason he directed so little episodes and why the story got "sped up". And Mulholland Drive was supposed to be a series too, but he got pestered with things like executives demanding to see and review all of the raw footage that had been shot, which doesn't make sense. So he abandoned that idea too and went for a movie version. And Lynch stated there was a ton of Twin Peaks footage left that he wanted to work with, but ABC refused to hand it to him, "they just sit on it!" in Lynch's words.

So I'm glad things finally seem go his way with a TV show, I'm glad he is getting the upper hand, and I hope it remains that way. I hope in this day and age where shows are becoming bigger than most movies, he will get more freedom, and above all, the respect he deserves.

I'm not sure he knew for 100% what the reaction was going to be. Sure, a lot of reaction from the internet, but never the guarantee that Showtime would have gone down on their knees. I'm sure Lynch would have ditched the whole thing and move on if Showtime didn't abide eventually.

I think, regardless of the how's and why's, it's hard to be happier about the outcome. More TP and more Lynch (for fans, at any rate) is a great thing.

One of the best parts of this whole experience (i.e., Lynch walking away and the kerfuffle it caused) was the huge groundswell of comradery from the cast. It genuinely seems like these folks care deeply about one another, Lynch, and Twin Peaks itself - which, again, is about the best one could hope for. Pretty cool that they still seem to stay in touch, remain friends, etc. after all these years . . .

see the problem i have with this theory is mostly the timing. why try and build hype for a show so early- before they've even began principle photography? as you said, we live in the social media age and things move very fast. building hype so early can't last by the time to show airs (around mid-end of next year) so how does that help them? it's not like anyone is going to start subscribing to showtime now.

second, have you seen lynch's presence on social media? he doesn't make frivolous tweets and hardly ever starts hashtag trends hoping they'd go viral. so for his first viral media campaign, you think he made such an elaborate effort disguised as a negotiation with a cable studio? he's had previous problems with tv networks when they cancelled twin peaks and on the air and refused to make mulholland drive and swore off television- so it's natural he'd approach with caution, you don't think that makes more sense? coupled with the fact that he's also had a very salty feeling towards not having carte blanche creativity on his projects after dune and now wouldn't buckle when showtime tried to negotiate for a small budget for his most popular project?