IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - The Colundi Sequence

Herr Jan

AP needs his own subforum

I agree. He's been around a while and is consistantly putting out amazing music. If anyone deserves to be added, Aleksi does.

Level 11 <3

It's quite refreshing to hear a more diverse sound palette on those most recent levels.

yeah, there was a danger of it all being a bit samey (but still awesome and very well produced). I love the direction this is heading in

AP needs his own subforum

I agree. He's been around a while and is consistantly putting out amazing music. If anyone deserves to be added, Aleksi does.

Level 11 <3

It's quite refreshing to hear a more diverse sound palette on those most recent levels.

yeah, there was a danger of it all being a bit samey (but still awesome and very well produced). I love the direction this is heading in

Heck, Colundi alone needs its own subforum. This is so much deep music to digest! It’s gonna take me years to understand it all!

Jeez, L10 was an instabuy for me - just briefly scanned every track on Bandcamp and ... blimey !

I don't even preview Colundi I just buy it

Is level 9 coming back in some form?

Edited by Avarik

Jeez, L10 was an instabuy for me - just briefly scanned every track on Bandcamp and ... blimey !

I don't even preview Colundi I just buy it

OK truth-bombs dropped: I bought the DVD/boxset version right at the beginning of this project and although it was pretty nice it didn't really grab me, and from dipping in and out of the previews of the future releases it seemed more of the same kind of thing (though on more and more esoteric formats). That's why I was nicely surprised by what I heard from this #10 release - sounded so different and just what my ears wanted to consume !

Gone for a few days, come back to two new Colundi albums (+ the CN outtakes!)... So I immediately listened to these last night, and these two albums contain some of the best music I've ever heard. Some tracks just left me completely stunned. The bassline and percussion from UK74R1513030 feels like the ol' Urban Tribe jams mixed with the lushest of braindance. And then UK74R1513040 straight afterwards... Nothing but praise! So much standout tracks on both though, a lot to digest after just two listens :)

I love how Aleksi built these levels up, the first few being introductionary, slowly getting more and more diverse / experimental. I certainly didn't expect samba whistles and cowbells (on UK74R1512110) in here, but I love it.

Certified braindance © /10

I haven’t kept pace at all with the Colundi releases because I can’t figure out a good way to listen to them. Do you guys actually download these from BC and listen at full resolution, or do you just stream?

Truly amazed by 10 and 11. Only gave 11 a background listen on Sunday while doing stuff around the house, but listened to it properly today with my nice desktop headphone set-up. Gob is well and truly smacked! I can't believe Aleksi can be so productive and maintain such a high standard. Reckon he has a logical system he employs for making all these tunes when making each level in the sequence? No matter how he does it...it's all class! Cheers Aleksi!

I download them because music this good is worth supportimg

Congrats. You are a brave man.

Actually my question was more technical in nature. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. These are 192kHz 24bit files. I only have one device which will play files of that resolution at full resolution, and it’s not really rigged up for home listening.

So, I’ve been trying to figure out a good workflow to convert these files into versions that will easily play on iTunes / my iPhone / etc. Maybe this is stupid, but I want to make sure the process I use doesn’t fuck up the files in any way. The main problem as I see it is that you really want to guard against clipping when downsampling, but most tools don’t easily let you downsample and clip guard a group of files together in that process. For example, if track 1 needs to be normalized to -0.6 db to not clip when going to 44.1kHz, and track 2 does not need to be downsampled, you risk a clicking noise at the boundary between track 1 and 2 if there are any sounds going over the boundary between the two tracks.

Some scripting could probably save me here, but I haven’t had the time to put anything together, although SoX seems like a great, robust tool.

I download them because music this good is worth supportimg

Congrats. You are a brave man.

Actually my question was more technical in nature. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. These are 192kHz 24bit files. I only have one device which will play files of that resolution at full resolution, and it’s not really rigged up for home listening.

So, I’ve been trying to figure out a good workflow to convert these files into versions that will easily play on iTunes / my iPhone / etc. Maybe this is stupid, but I want to make sure the process I use doesn’t fuck up the files in any way. The main problem as I see it is that you really want to guard against clipping when downsampling, but most tools don’t easily let you downsample and clip guard a group of files together in that process. For example, if track 1 needs to be normalized to -0.6 db to not clip when going to 44.1kHz, and track 2 does not need to be downsampled, you risk a clicking noise at the boundary between track 1 and 2 if there are any sounds going over the boundary between the two tracks.

Some scripting could probably save me here, but I haven’t had the time to put anything together, although SoX seems like a great, robust tool.

Buy it on bandcamp and choose MP3 as the download format. Transfer to iGay or whatever.

Then download the FLAC and listen to that also using hacks and shit on your PC DAC ATTACK.

Ascii - I'm pretty sure most any tool that uses lame will automatically know to downsample to 16/48 (since those are the maximum possible with mp3), with no material loss other than the lossy coding itself - you want 48 kHz and not 44.1 since the former is a whole factor of 192. 192kHz 24bit is waaay overkill but AP can do whatever the f he wants, who knows maybe there's some super lush ultrasonics in there for my cyborg descendants to enjoy some day.

Funny that I have the same problem in not being able to keep up with the colundi releases, only but for lack of time and the attention of my ears. For a person in my circumstances (2 young kids, full time jerb) I'm somehow able to listen to a decent amount of musics overall (at werk, in car, home, etc.), usually somewhere between 2-5 hours a day. The playlist usually gets a healthy balance of stuff I already know I like, new stuff from artists I already like, stuff from new (or new-to-me) artists I've heard/read about here and elsewhere, stuff I've been meaning to get around to checking out, the occasional ambient, jazz, or ragga jungle release to rinse the brain, random dj mixes/podcasts, etc. Aleksi's long since won me over but there's just no way I can fit it all in - so far I reckon I've only heard 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8. Doesn't help that every time one of these drops at least half a dozen of y'all (no one or ones in particular, not calling anyone out) are like "OMG best Colundi evar" :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Bob Dobalina

Guest bitroast

the music does have a quality where the frequencies can tickle the ears when they hit that right spot.

the lossless is nice, no doubt.

but high quality mp3 or what have you does the job too, in the end.

no harm in grabbing the high quality for home time stereo time, and some mp3s or whatevers convenient for the portable iphone.

@Bob Dob: good point on the 48 being a whole multiple! Will investigate.

Most of my Colundi listening is via iTunes, where I have the full-quality files saved in Apple Lossless format. Sometimes I remember to crank the sample rate up on my audio interface, other times not. But it’s nice to not have to make a bunch of copies of the files just to downsample them.

@Bob Dob: good point on the 48 being a whole multiple! Will investigate.

Most of my Colundi listening is via iTunes, where I have the full-quality files saved in Apple Lossless format. Sometimes I remember to crank the sample rate up on my audio interface, other times not. But its nice to not have to make a bunch of copies of the files just to downsample them.

There are programs and apps that you can use which will automatically adjust your audio midi settings while you play files of different sample rates in iTunes. Might be worth investigating?

Tracks 1-4 on level 10 are just out of this world. I wish he would do more in that vein. The first track is sort of reminiscent of Arvo Pärt's old chestnut Spiegel im Spiegel.

And that last track on level 10 is super sublime mega nice über lush swellness.

I didn't think things could get any better than Level 7 until I heard 10, awesome. I've loved the seemingly increasing complexity with each level, almost as if the series is building up to Mental Union as some kind of prequel (I'm talking bollocks, I know). And is it a little strange that the only regular format not to host Colundi is the regular CD (if MU4 isn't part of the series)?