IGNORED

RIP H.R. Giger (1940-2014)

triachus

he made the mic stand for KoRn, i hate korn.

a5640f2339a6d4ccd6665f363bdc6aac.jpg

And yet you have the same hair :p

Eff you!

i'll have you know that i was over KoRn by the year 2001 and grew my dreads out in 2003!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP, an exceptional talent.

Does anyone know what came first, the Aphex Twin song or this piece by Giger? Did Aphex get the song title from him, or was the song made first then Cunningham asked him for ideas?

rdj-42.jpg

That came after Windowlicker was released.

Does anyone know what came first, the Aphex Twin song or this piece by Giger? Did Aphex get the song title from him, or was the song made first then Cunningham asked him for ideas?

rdj-42.jpg

wow never saw this before, Giger is the fucking man RIP

rdj-42.jpg

So after the video was released he drew it? Still pretty cool, I always appreciate non-subtle penises in pictures.

one-dimensional and a tad overrated but w/e still an interesting figure

yeah that's about where i'm at. haven't explored the man's work in depth but it seems to be a lot of sex organs + creepy metal

but he did sex organs + creepy metal very well

He did creepy architecture pretty well too. Maybe everything looked creepy to him from a young age and he thought he was illustrating lifelike images. People's reactions to his work confounded him at first, but then it all dawned on him. So while his work still looked normal and lifelike to himself, he played to expectations knowing how people would react, thus cementing his stardom in creepy art history.

So yeah that's not one dimensional it's two dimensional AT LEAST.

always thought giger just wanted to be schiele but was too much of a dork to hang out with actual prostitutes.

holy shit these ones are just so good

NSFW mayhaps

self-portrait-with-arm-twisting-above-he

egon_schiele_047.jpg

0003-0002_sitzender_maedchenakt.jpg

that's Schiele? don't belong in this thread, mayne. it is good stuff though, you can clearly see where Peter Chung got his influence from for Aeon Flux etc.

it is a bit one dimensional. i don't ever accept that 'this is how i/the artist sees reality' explanation for art because it's simply not true unless the artist is constantly hallucinating and has serious mental illness, in which case they'd have a hard time functioning at all let alone as an artist. thats just a romantic story artists tell to hype themselves up, just like aphex telling tall tales to his interviewers. 'this is how i see things maaaann'. haha yeah, sure you do. some of his stuff does look cool though and at least his style worked great for the aliens films.

Yup I meant that as a joke mister e. I think Giger just has a whacked imagination, came up with endless variations on his morbidly cool themes and pretty much knocked it out of the park.

well the night terrors thing and it having an influence on him, i can believe. and i suppose you could say that nightmares you experience are a part of the reality you are experiencing, but also because it's generated in your brain, it's still also your brain being creative so its something you are making with your mind. so maybe his dreams being warped and that influencing his art i could accept, but it also puts it in that shady grey area where nobody outside of that person knows if it's true or has any way of knowing. to some degree it probably is but i just always question these kinds of things. i think they tend to get exaggerated for publicity, maybe not even always by the artist themselves

kinda interested in the wiki where it says he directed some films in the 70s. one that stands out most to me is Giger's Necronomicon. anyone see any of that stuff?

one-dimensional and a tad overrated but w/e still an interesting figure. kinda like lebbeus woods for the repressed sci-fi dorks.

No, Giger wasn't one-dimensional. See his first drawings and you see he covers different topics. Birth fears, personal and intimate moments, biographical points etc.

Then, after he quitted his most known paintbrush drawings he went into a different, more decayed pencil style with the direction of sometimes even political or satirical content.

Overrated? Well, that mean never got the attention he deserved in his homeland. Never. His work was always too experimental.

He inspired me to make drawings like this:

scan0005_2.jpg

Wow! You have a webpage with your drawings?

HOLY SHIT, RIP! Where to start? ONE OF THE GREATEST EVER LIVED! I can't even begin to tell you how much this man has inspired me. I have been in love with his art ever since I discovered Alien. His biomechanical, psychosexual style has made such an imprint on my art taste, and my own art explorations, that it's not even funny. I drew pages and pages of Alien fan comics as a teenager.

In fact, looking back on a few of my old embarassing pieces that are still on the internet, it's not hard to find some that are pretty derivative:

DSG-aliengrowth.jpg

Archived