IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I really think it's stupid for Warp to block all uploads of syro on youtube. A lot of new fans only know about aphex from listening to his music on there. The worst part is, it only blocks exact duplicates, so youtube is flooded with syro uploads pitch shifted and time stretched to avoid the copyright bot picking it up.

i wish i could download this album Pre mastering. I get a bit of ear fatigue (i think). maybes its my imagination

agree agree agree agree

it's somehow warm, claustrophobic, compressed, dark, and strident IMO

I'm still having trouble breaching the album and I think that's why. I'm bummed too because I hoped for a long time for an official release of Metz so I could use it as a new reference track.. maybe I'm just not looking at it right

The radiostation WVUM (Miami) is playing so much Syro, I love it. And not just good ol' minipops. They played XMAS EVE this morning and the dj talked a lot about the album...Its still a little surreal to me. Imagine thinking of this possibility a year ago? It would sound like such a pipe dream. METZ.. in its entirety on the radio.. a lot... oh and everyone and your grandma loves it.. and bought it. GTFO

WVUM(University of Miami) has been a beacon for idm since the 90's, do they still do the Electric Kingdom show on Tuesday night? Damn I miss that radio station. I've heard so many good live pa's on WVUM over the years.

Edited by cloud capture

Another Instagrizzle find.

10731650_740645369324194_1836707017_n.jp

The radiostation WVUM (Miami) is playing so much Syro, I love it. And not just good ol' minipops. They played XMAS EVE this morning and the dj talked a lot about the album...Its still a little surreal to me. Imagine thinking of this possibility a year ago? It would sound like such a pipe dream. METZ.. in its entirety on the radio.. a lot... oh and everyone and your grandma loves it.. and bought it. GTFO

That's fucking awesome. Any radio DJ who regularly plays Metz in it's entirety, is definitely worth everyone's time of day.

WVUM(University of Miami) has been a beacon for idm since the 90's, do they still do the Electric Kingdom show on Tuesday night? Damn I miss that radio station. I've heard so many good live pa's on WVUM over the years.

By far the best college radio station I've ever heard. Its almost unfair to call it a "college radio station". Electric Kingdom is still alive and well.. really cool. You know it's a great station when they have a 2 hour special on the Glasglow electronic scene. (Rustie, Hudson Mohawk etc.) Regardless of your opinion on rustie and whatnot, pretty amazing they dedictate air time to it. And really know what they are talking about.

Edited by Vaaler9

i wish i could download this album Pre mastering. I get a bit of ear fatigue (i think). maybes its my imagination

agree agree agree agree

I'm still having trouble breaching the album and I think that's why. I'm bummed too because I hoped for a long time for an official release of Metz so I could use it as a new reference track.. maybe I'm just not looking at it right

it's a lot of kind of positive music. it seems like a lot of musicians start out with some aggression in their music and then their later work is more positive, maybe because they're initially drawn to music as a way to work through some frustration, and then later feel responsibility for the effects of their music being listened to by the masses, and they don't want to just put out a way to indulge in negative feelings. even earth portal which starts out with like a dark heavy vibe soon shifts to more jazzy, lofty elements.

things aphex mentioned in interviews are really relevent to syro. it's like he wanted to explain it a little. i find it enlightening how he said that these are songs where he is done with their respective styles. i associate this with a comment he had made in earlier interviews about how when musicians use styles he pioneered he lost interest in them and felt like they were taken from him. i can see how the syro songs are styles he had exhausted, they each feel very complete unto themselves. syro could have been 12 awesome singles. not to say it doesn't flow, i think the flow of it is great (especially on a great system), but i usually listen to it skipping to specific tracks, and it's interesting how each song covers it's own unique territory. it brings the album to a new level that it is a collection of these kinds of songs.

dunno if that helps you at all. not sure why you don't like xmas. i have to be in the right mood for it, often right after leaving work. it's very subtle and deep. it's kind of amazing how deep and subtle it is, it's kind of hard to believe that he found a way to convey that mood in that way.

Edited by very honest

I imagine XMAS EVE to be Richard in full on sentimental mode. Sonically it covers so many of his warmest sounds. His family is sampled on it, not to sounds funny and strange, but innocent and beautiful. And I'm assuming he made this near the holidays (of course). It's definitely the easiest track to put an obvious context too. I listen to it in this way, and I think it makes it even more gratifying. Saying that, I loved it when it was called METZ as well and had no clue what it was "about". Its just great to me.

agree agree agree agree

it's a lot of kind of positive music. it seems like a lot of musicians start out with some aggression in their music and then their later work is more positive, maybe because they're initially drawn to music as a way to work through some frustration, and then later feel responsibility for the effects of their music being listened to by the masses, and they don't want to just put out a way to indulge in negative feelings. even earth portal which starts out with like a dark heavy vibe soon shifts to more jazzy, lofty elements.

things aphex mentioned in interviews are really relevent to syro. it's like he wanted to explain it a little. i find it enlightening how he said that these are songs where he is done with their respective styles. i associate this with a comment he had made in earlier interviews about how when musicians use styles he pioneered he lost interest in them and felt like they were taken from him. i can see how the syro songs are styles he had exhausted, they each feel very complete unto themselves. syro could have been 12 awesome singles. not to say it doesn't flow, i think the flow of it is great (especially on a great system), but i usually listen to it skipping to specific tracks, and it's interesting how each song covers it's own unique territory. it brings the album to a new level that it is a collection of these kinds of songs.

dunno if that helps you at all. not sure why you don't like xmas. i have to be in the right mood for it, often right after leaving work. it's very subtle and deep. it's kind of amazing how deep and subtle it is, it's kind of hard to believe that he found a way to convey that mood in that way.

sorry if I was unclear. thanks for the explanation.

all I meant was XMAS isn't mastered well to my ear. I was sure it was going to be my 2nd favorite track ever after Flim but I ended up preferring the live version. same with the Barbican track. I just really liked the extra space in Metz.. I think the mastering is warm, claustrophobic, compressed, and strident. I'm not talking about the composition.

Edited by purplegoat

Yes, definitely this. But I love the album anyway.

holy aphex, i just got the

Syro Ballot Success email!

Grats, dude. Totes jelly.

But yeah, Syro... best album in ages. Still hasn't left repeat in my vehicle.

oh and everyone and your grandma loves it.. and bought it. GTFO

Yeah, I've actually discussed the album with colleagues (who also bought it). What an age we live in!

Another Instagrizzle find.

10731650_740645369324194_1836707017_n.jp

ahhh this is beautiful

i agree on interviews thing, that he created little world of syro - raving with friends in the middle of nowhere when outside world gone mad - vulgar maddonas & kayne wests, global intoxications, aliens and conspirasies. mad proffecor, lost in 5+1/2 rooms trying to build time streching machine. earth portals, thanton gates, piezoluminescence, magic he also beleives in.

he said to journalist - you can belive all that crap cause its more fun this way.

so are his own interviews - probably "not everything" he says is totally true, but it's more fun to have concept of totally fucked drank and on druks rchard driving his tank from his bank to proclaim the independence of that country...

Guest cult fiction

Couldn't agree more. The mastering is really rough versus Tuss, and doesn't sound nearly as good as the Analord premasters. The vinyl is better but I'd love a crisp 24 bit premaster so I could hear Metz & Manchester & co. without having to choose between:

A) It sounding really meek at low volumes

B) Making my ears hurt at normal volumes

We need a kickstarter to get Rich/Warp to release the pre-master WAVs. I've noticed I really prefer listening to this album on headphones. It just doesn't sound as good on my speakers, which are somewhat decent. Maybe there's a lot of subtle phase shit that glues it together. Maybe the album was produced and mixed mostly on headphones, more so than earlier works? I dunno. The waveforms don't lie, though. They do not lie.

After all these years I just realized Cock / Ver10 is awesome. For whatever reason I skipped that one consistently. Oh and syro is great <- see! still related to the thread!

We need a kickstarter to get Rich/Warp to release the pre-master WAVs. I've noticed I really prefer listening to this album on headphones. It just doesn't sound as good on my speakers, which are somewhat decent. Maybe there's a lot of subtle phase shit that glues it together. Maybe the album was produced and mixed mostly on headphones, more so than earlier works? I dunno. The waveforms don't lie, though. They do not lie.

Definitely sounds best on headphones. Everything just sounds so buttery this way.