IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

We need a kickstarter to get Rich/Warp to release the pre-master WAVs. I've noticed I really prefer listening to this album on headphones. It just doesn't sound as good on my speakers, which are somewhat decent. Maybe there's a lot of subtle phase shit that glues it together. Maybe the album was produced and mixed mostly on headphones, more so than earlier works? I dunno. The waveforms don't lie, though. They do not lie.

We Are the Mastering Masters

Yeah, I'm getting slightly tired of this recurring discussion. :) Sounds like everyone on here knows what a great mastering is, except Aphex Twin. How this album sounds to you is so subjective to your own experience, it has almost nothing to do with the album itself. What Aphex should release is the informations about his own audio setup so that people can hear his album the way he hears it. I'm pretty sure that by then, the same people would start complaining about Aphex Twin's quality of hearing, arguing that he should let other people hear how his music sounds before releasing it.

calm down, im not angry. its not un-listenable. its amazing actually.. im just noticing subtle things happening to my ears. no complaints, love the album.

After all these years I just realized Cock / Ver10 is awesome. For whatever reason I skipped that one consistently. Oh and syro is great <- see! still related to the thread!

Yeah, that's always been my favourite of the more 'aggressive' tracks on Drukqs. More stuff like this would be very welcome.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

But it the grand scale of things.

No ones gives a fuck what you think.

You either like it or you don't.

Nobody really cares lol

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

But it the grand scale of things.

No ones gives a fuck what you think.

You either like it or you don't.

Nobody really cares lol

I care what you think....

=(

Yeah, I'm getting slightly tired of this recurring discussion. :) Sounds like everyone on here knows what a great mastering is, except Aphex Twin. How this album sounds to you is so subjective to your own experience, it has almost nothing to do with the album itself. What Aphex should release is the informations about his own audio setup so that people can hear his album the way he hears it. I'm pretty sure that by then, the same people would start complaining about Aphex Twin's quality of hearing, arguing that he should let other people hear how his music sounds before releasing it.

Only slightly tired? Allow me to expound. JK.

I don't see why the mastering of an album should be a taboo subject, though. Of all of the aspects of a recording, signal quality (in terms of spectrum, dynamic range, etc.) is among the least subjective and most easily compared. Don't make me produce an "Inconvenient Truth"-esque hockey stick graph of RMS loudness from ABB to Syro. Because I'll fucking do it.

After all these years I just realized Cock / Ver10 is awesome. For whatever reason I skipped that one consistently. Oh and syro is great <- see! still related to the thread!

aHA!

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85166-are-you-an-album-track-skippereditordeleter/

I really wonder what Aphex would do with the current standar electronic music set up. Ya know, logic, huge banks of samples, the massive softsynth, with all the other popular plug-ins... but now in the hands of Richard. Pretty sure my mind would explode. He has sort of made things hard for himself with all the hardware (very respectable and has obvious benefits) But him working with something "easy" I imagine the most beautifully complex thing imaginable popping out.

I just went to Love 7 which was the first track going into the direction of SYRO. It sounds really cool now. I didnt like it much back then

I agree upon hearing this track more recently it does give me that sense of direction heading to Syro. That said I have always thought this track was great, played the live version of it repeatedly, then it was released with the bonus Analords and it was a great xmas surprise back in 2009. Same thing with most of the Syro tracks from old sets before the album was released, played this shit out of all those unreleased tracks.

I really wonder what Aphex would do with the current standar electronic music set up. Ya know, logic, huge banks of samples, the massive softsynth, with all the other popular plug-ins... but now in the hands of Richard. Pretty sure my mind would explode. He has sort of made things hard for himself with all the hardware (very respectable and has obvious benefits) But him working with something "easy" I imagine the most beautifully complex thing imaginable popping out.

Imagining all the dope 'Shops Leonardo could have produced is almost enough to make you weep.

Imagining all the dope 'Shops Leonardo could have produced is almost enough to make you weep.

lol. I see your point. but the man made RDJ album (very digital) in 97 for god's sake. The standard digital tools these days can do some incredible things.. which he seems to be actively ignoring. Would love to hear what he would come up with using them.

The recently re-booted Double J radio in Australia, catering less to the "youf" and more to older farts like myself, is doing a special on RDJ in a few hours time.. 8:30am UTC. Should be available to revisit later on their site.

J-files features can be decent, it's cool that they have put together an Aphex special - it's streamable online, so anyone who's not asleep in the Northern Hemi might enjoy it... Will be getting my li'l one into bed early tonight and settling in with a drink! But with all the Afx-kid talk lately, maybe I should force feed it - she already DIGS Minipops.

http://doublej.net.au/programs/jfiles/aphex-twin

Enjoy, phlaps

Heh, nice. I remember last time they did an RDJ j-files. They played some good stuff! I remember some nerds calling in and correcting Richard Kingsmill's facts, zole

Very listenable thus far - the DJ has interviewed Phillip Sherburne, has played widely from Analog B1 through to Fenix Funk and CIRCLONT6A syrobonkus mix, about to interview a classical music guru of some sort. Tried to test a caller on whether it was RDJ or RD Kingsmill..

Although he has said "Tuss" rhyming with "Bus" six times, and I've always pictured Tuss like "puss". Made the bold claim that SAWII was acknowledged as his finest album. Also the "power station" quote he attributed to SAWI whereas it was II.

The recently re-booted Double J radio in Australia, catering less to the "youf" and more to older farts like myself, is doing a special on RDJ in a few hours time.. 8:30am UTC. Should be available to revisit later on their site.

J-files features can be decent, it's cool that they have put together an Aphex special - it's streamable online, so anyone who's not asleep in the Northern Hemi might enjoy it... Will be getting my li'l one into bed early tonight and settling in with a drink! But with all the Afx-kid talk lately, maybe I should force feed it - she already DIGS Minipops.

http://doublej.net.au/programs/jfiles/aphex-twin

Enjoy, phlaps

The text form article the link directs to is quite interesting. Cheers.

Edited by Wander