IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pre-ordered the vinyl from Bleep pretty much when it was first announced, and then the CD on Thursday. Both arrived yesterday, no problems. Just D/Led the gratis digital version, but the edits 12" isn't there yet. No Bleep hate from me.

And the album, shit I still love it. Just need to get into 'There's A Distance In You' and ' Everlane'. 'Beacon' and 'Winter Linn' are beautiful.

Full album is available to download from Bleep right now, even though it still lists tomorrow as the release. Just gave it a proper first listen and I loved it! I was all ready to be disappointed after reading the mediocre reactions here but I thought it was fantastic... sounds like Clark without being a rehash of old sounds.

I love Snowbird too. It really has an "Empty the bones of you" vibe to it. Also reminds me of his Nathan Fake's Fentiger remix. I really love this side of Clark, want more of it. Sweet yet not too hippie like Iradelphic (although I like this album a lot).

I've just noticed how the bassline fades into The Grit in the pearl and Beacon. Makes Grit actually fucking cool lol.

Anyway I don't know if it's his best release or not but it definitely is his most cohesive. His previous ones have always been well built but with this one I just end up listening to the whole album whenever I play a track.

the early complaints about it being simple straightforward techno couldn't be further than my perception of it so far. it's very layered and calculated. many many details and subtleties.

it does sound very isolated in the woods, I'm not getting a city vibe at all.

I guess this is one of those odd times where everyone seems to love it loads and I'm just like meh. Damn it :c

Let me hear it first before I judge it!

unfurla and the grit in the pearl were completely forgettable to me btw, if that means anything. Those are the only two tracks I've heard.

PS. Important question. Did you like "You're Dead".

lol

Guest trananhhung

Looking forward to it. I guess from the impressions the tracks make sense when close to each other. I'm ok with that. I'll download it tomorrow night.

i love this album! it's not his best but it's just so solid and well done. kinda like body riddle minus jazz. not every album ever has to shatter my world view. it's just simply a good album. and it's all i ever needed, really. thanks, clark :catrecline:

I guess this is one of those odd times where everyone seems to love it loads and I'm just like meh. Damn it :c

lol

I'm not a big flylo fan and apart from a couple minutes I haven't really listened to You're Dead.

lol

I'm not a big flylo fan and apart from a couple minutes I haven't really listened to You're Dead.

Then I think me and you are on the same page.

I hope to prove myself wrong. :)

Guest totemcrackerjack

I hope to prove myself wrong. :)

You betta mista G. Cause I ain't taking much more of yer pinions 'round these hurr parts.

This album is a grower, and while I liked it upon first listen, I'm lovin itTM now.

strength through brutality, holiday as fragility

lol

Listening to that FADER mix, quite good.

Also another interview here : http://www.okayfuture.com/features/interview-clark-phosphor-warp.html

"I recorded this one in voluntary enforced isolation, in the middle of nowhere, well, in the middle of English country side, in a barn. It took 4 months, Id basically get up at 6 and work for 12 hours, read for 2 hours, then go for walks and try and freak myself out by standing next to trees and try and make out their form in the dark. Im not a tree hugger, though.

I was really influenced by this amazing book called Annihilation by Jeff Vandemeer. Thats lots of eery natural/supernatural stuff that goes down in that book. Its terrifying. The album zone became my Area x."

Does that story come across in the album at all ?

I think it kind of does. way more so than some club in the city imo.

Powerful record. I listened to to it on a long drive out in the windy, grey countryside, on my way to help my friend clean his chimneys. I sat on the roof for a while and had Clark's new tracks echoing in my mind. Fucking excellent day, excellent album, excellent experience. Watching the ribbons of clouds moving in parallax effect behind the skeletons of trees with tracks like "Beacon" imprinted on my mind. Too good.

I'm with Jules, therefore, about this not being a city record. It's made for the country, for sure.

Archived