IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

I have no intention of crapping on anyone who loves this album, I'm just trying to deal with this weird feeling of having such a remarkably different opinion than most everyone else. Like, I think this album is "ok," generally boring, without a standout track. And even then, I skip Silvered Iris when I listen to the album all the way through. What's wrong with me? I mean, I remember people being a lot higher on Iradelphic when it came out than they are today, but not to this extent.

People were pretty "meh" about Unfurla and The Grit in the Pearl, then the album comes out, and they're two of the best tracks on it, yet everyone loves the album. And people are calling it "crunchy" when I don't hear one moment of the true Clark "crunch" in the entire thing; indeed, that's exactly what's missing to me. So confused.

Again, I'm glad everyone likes it, I just feel like an alien. Help meeeeeeeee

No I get you. This album is way less crunchy than his previous releases indeed but it still clearly has that particular warmth to it. The thing I love about it though really is its cohesion. I have to admit that I've rarely ever listened to, say, Body Riddle or Turning Dragon in their entirety in only one listen. That's not the case here and that's pretty new to me. It's true that there isn't any track, except Banjo maybe, that stands out so much it could exist without its album. That's why it makes this LP very unique in his discography. I do welcome this change of pace. I think I actually needed that in the end, although I did expect some kind of Turning Dragon vol.2 when Warp announced it as a technoey album.

Another "compression series" opus would have felt very redundant and quickly boring imo.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trananhhung

I have no intention of crapping on anyone who loves this album, I'm just trying to deal with this weird feeling of having such a remarkably different opinion than most everyone else. Like, I think this album is "ok," generally boring, without a standout track. And even then, I skip Silvered Iris when I listen to the album all the way through. What's wrong with me? I mean, I remember people being a lot higher on Iradelphic when it came out than they are today, but not to this extent.

People were pretty "meh" about Unfurla and The Grit in the Pearl, then the album comes out, and they're two of the best tracks on it, yet everyone loves the album. And people are calling it "crunchy" when I don't hear one moment of the true Clark "crunch" in the entire thing; indeed, that's exactly what's missing to me. So confused.

Again, I'm glad everyone likes it, I just feel like an alien. Help meeeeeeeee

I completely get you and I was there trashing the early singles but then I listened to the album, to the context those tracks appear in, and everything comes together. It's really a conceptual album and tracks don't survive by themselves. Well, Everlane does for me. It's the only track I could take out to put on a playlist.

It's a wonderful album made of little moons not planets like syro whose tracks are an entire universe on their own. Clark tracks here are fragile and broken and they need each other. Clark found its place again.

watmm packaging club: I picked up the CD of this today and the packaging is great. Lovely cutout thingy with some cards in it.

Haven’t had a chance to hear the album yet of course.

This album, RTJ2 and a Stravinsky (I'm tryin' to get into more classical stuff) all lined up for first plays this morning. Makes having to get up at 5am a bit better. Have a nice day watmm, I might check in later.

Savage!!!!!

this one is a grower. put it aside if you don't like it and come back when it feels right... it's just a record for god's sake.

i was quite underwhelmed by my first listen but now i adore that one. maybe because i didn't really listen, my prejudices didn't pick anything up hehe.

is the bibio tweet shopped or true? because that's actually how i feel about the record: slowly some hidden emotions come out.

the nts mix did nothing for me, way too ambient and guitary. the mixmag thing looks more like my cup of tea, let's see.

by the way i hope you guys have noticed the amazing little big mix clark curated and recorded?

is the bibio tweet shopped or true? because that's actually how i feel about the record: slowly some hidden emotions come out.

by the way i hope you guys have noticed the amazing little big mix clark curated and recorded?

Yes and YES, intense shit.

This album, RTJ2 and a Stravinsky (I'm tryin' to get into more classical stuff) all lined up for first plays this morning. Makes having to get up at 5am a bit better. Have a nice day watmm, I might check in later.

Savage!!!!!

this and rtj2 are on constant repeat and not ending anytime soon. you must've had a great day bud

I like this album, I've been playing it on repeat on my walks and journeys. I agree it is missing some punch but overall it's very cohesive. Some tracks work very well on sets, specially Banjo.

Savage!!!!!

this and rtj2 are on constant repeat and not ending anytime soon. you must've had a great day bud

yup, very happy indeed. I can't say too much about the clark as I played it only once, sounded very good though.

There are some cool tracks for sure on this, but it is not doing to me what Iradelphic has done. The Pining Part 2 was simply a masterpiece, and I loved almost all the vocal tracks on that album.

I've tried to listen to this a few times but there was just nothing to grasp onto. I'm hoping its a grower, I have a flight tomorrow and it's only 1 hour I will try to listen to it from the bottom to the top again.

The vibe is there, the metallic wintery vibe. It's definitely a cohesive piece of work, and beautiful sounding stuff. Just nothing blowing my mind or making me want to hit repeat.

did he just play banjo and half speed and call it a remix?

I saw this record for £8.99 in my local indie store today. I was kinda tempted but since I had not heard either mixes I figured it seemed like a bit of a gamble given the price.

Picked up the Jon Hopkins Sleep EP instead.

Sounds like I made the right call!

Archived