IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

I highly doubt he would take a stab at aphex. he is constantly pushing his sound and himself. I'm sure he suffered a little bit of an identity crisis early on but he absolutely shed that completely with body riddle. that was completely his own and anyone still comparing him to aphex is stuck 10 years ago. he has proven himself and is an awesome creative force on his own. he has never even come close to making the same album twice and I'm finding this new self titled to be a very confident and solid slab of crunchy Clark.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt he would take a stab at aphex. he is constantly pushing his sound and himself. I'm sure he suffered a little bit of an identity crisis early on but he absolutely shed that completely with body riddle. that was completely his own and anyone still comparing him to aphex is stuck 10 years ago. he has proven himself and is an awesome creative force on his own. he has never even come close to making the same album twice and I'm finding this new self titled to be a very confident and solid slab of crunchy Clark.

yeah could have just been reading between the lines too much, the mention of Bibio and him hyping eachother up over Twitter made me connect this together, since someone else here claimed Bibio was openly talking smack about Syro on the interwebs

maybe so. bibio's stuff doesn't really do anything for me and I don't pay much attention to Twitter crap anyway. there's no way Clark would take a shot at aphex. he loves playing with gear, im sure that's what he was talking about.

edit: check this interview out mr grey, you'd probably get more out of it than me

http://www.xlr8r.com/gear/2014/11/studio-clark

thats the one I was talking about, and i forgot in it he also talks about being anti-gear lust, that he prefers to do almost everything entirely inside the computer which (in my mind) at least seemed like a counter to the recent Syro Aphex gear lust, of course I could be making all of this up in my own mind. That was just my takeaway from the interview

Well I doubt that Syro had anything to do with how Clark wrote this record since I'm sure that he'd not heard Syro at all before he turned in the album. Even the interviews are likely weeks, possibly months, old.

What Clark said about the Jupiter synth he used in one track kind of sums up his mindset for this album: that even though he used some synth that he paid good money just to rent out for the album, he barely used it and then buried it in reverb anyway. He's much more into the end result in the song, not showcasing synth wankery. But at the same time, I don't think Aphex is into pure synth wanking either; he seems to just be an obsessive over sounds and just have a huge interest in lots of synths and such, not to show off in his music or elsewhere though. He goes to great lengths in the Syrobonkers interview to point out that he was very worried about 'showing off' by including a gear list and all that.

Well I doubt that Syro had anything to do with how Clark wrote this record since I'm sure that he'd not heard Syro at all before he turned in the album. Even the interviews are likely weeks, possibly months, old.

What Clark said about the Jupiter synth he used in one track kind of sums up his mindset for this album: that even though he used some synth that he paid good money just to rent out for the album, he barely used it and then buried it in reverb anyway. He's much more into the end result in the song, not showcasing synth wankery. But at the same time, I don't think Aphex is into pure synth wanking either; he seems to just be an obsessive over sounds and just have a huge interest in lots of synths and such, not to show off in his music or elsewhere though. He goes to great lengths in the Syrobonkers interview to point out that he was very worried about 'showing off' by including a gear list and all that.

very well put.

back to gushing over this

banjo is killing me! super funk Clark

Seems like the first paragraph is some surplus material the writer had laying about, waiting for the perfect record to stitch it onto, and Clark was chosen to carry his EPIC REVIEW, because he just couldn't sit on his golden writings any longer.

Guest Roksen Creek

I'm continually impressed with how Clark is able to create a distinct aesthetic and identity for each of his albums (or at least from Body Riddle onwards). What they all do have in common though is bags of emotion and personality.

Signs of an excellent electronic musician imo.

I echo what someone else said, would really like to hear a pure ambient Clark album at some point. Love love his ambient stuff.

Guest jasondonervan

Is the entire first paragraph a typo? :catsob:

That, or the end of the world is going to be a great bash if this album is the soundtrack to it!

Guest jasondonervan

Yet another promo mix !

Looks like there's even more unreleased stuff, including from Barker & Baumecker (love them).

Fuck me for being at work without headphones.

Oooh, ta!

Direct Download link (right click, save as)

Tracklist

Clark/Manhunter - Every Single Day

Clark - Unfurla (Alt Version)

Leon Vynehall - This Is The Place

Clark - 126 Freudian Trimmers

Actress - Our

Clark - Modular Jam

Clark - Guitar Drone

Barker And Baumecker - Bit Fucker

Clark - Untitled/Unreleased

Lucy - Tof (Tommy Four Seven Remix)

Clark - Superscope (Alt Mix)

Clark - Superscope

Seven Davis Junior - One EP

Nathan Fake - Gerry Read Remix

Terrence Dixon - Dark City Of Hope

Tripeo - Nargy

Raheem Hershal - Gotta Have The Pokey

Patrick Pulsinger - Wasted At Work

James T Cotton - Buck

Glass Domain - Interlock

Parris Mitchell - Computer

Marcus Schmickler - Risset Brain Hammer/Clark Beat

Regis - Assume Nothing (Clark Edit)

Truss - Splot

Visionist - First Love

Interesting review from Pitchfork, I'm glad they like the album but what cheesy way of going about saying it.

The album is great to listen to as a whole.

Count me down for wanting a Clark ambient album. I really like the closer on this one, "Everlane".

"Broken Kite Footage" and "Primary Balloon Landing" will always be tops for me, though.

Yet another promo mix !

Looks like there's even more unreleased stuff, including from Barker & Baumecker (love them).

Fuck me for being at work without headphones.

Oooh, ta!

Direct Download link (right click, save as)

Tracklist

Clark/Manhunter - Every Single Day

Clark - Unfurla (Alt Version)

Leon Vynehall - This Is The Place

Clark - 126 Freudian Trimmers

Actress - Our

Clark - Modular Jam

Clark - Guitar Drone

Barker And Baumecker - Bit Fucker

Lucy - Tof (Tommy Four Seven Remix)

Clark - Superscope (Alt Mix)

Clark - Superscope

Seven Davis Junior - One EP

Nathan Fake - Gerry Read Remix

Terrence Dixon - Dark City Of Hope

Tripeo - Nargy

Raheem Hershal - Gotta Have The Pokey

Patrick Pulsinger - Wasted At Work

James T Cotton - Buck

Glass Domain - Interlock

Parris Mitchell - Computer

Marcus Schmickler - Risset Brain Hammer/Clark Beat

Regis - Assume Nothing (Clark Edit)

Truss - Splot

Visionist - First Love

nice! thank you

Guest jasondonervan

cant seem to use that download link :(

I'm just uploading it elsewhere for convenience's sake, give me a few minutes and I'll pop an alt link up.

Edit: Here ya go - wetransfer

I have no intention of crapping on anyone who loves this album, I'm just trying to deal with this weird feeling of having such a remarkably different opinion than most everyone else. Like, I think this album is "ok," generally boring, without a standout track. And even then, I skip Silvered Iris when I listen to the album all the way through. What's wrong with me? I mean, I remember people being a lot higher on Iradelphic when it came out than they are today, but not to this extent.

People were pretty "meh" about Unfurla and The Grit in the Pearl, then the album comes out, and they're two of the best tracks on it, yet everyone loves the album. And people are calling it "crunchy" when I don't hear one moment of the true Clark "crunch" in the entire thing; indeed, that's exactly what's missing to me. So confused.

Again, I'm glad everyone likes it, I just feel like an alien. Help meeeeeeeee

People were pretty "meh" about Unfurla and The Grit in the Pearl, then the album comes out, and they're two of the best tracks on it, yet everyone loves the album.

It's true... I didn't think either of those tracks were anything special individually, but somehow on the album they're both awesome. The whole thing just really flows for me.. a lot like Body Riddle did. I would rate this album just after Body Riddle and Totems Flare.

Archived