IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

I'm trying to wrap my head around Bibio's comment that we should be excited about this and not syro.

I'm not feelin' the few tracks I've heard so far at all. Very forgettable.

I will of course give this a thorough listen when the vinyl is in my hands.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

strength through brutality, holiday as fragility

lol

Listening to that FADER mix, quite good.

Also another interview here : http://www.okayfuture.com/features/interview-clark-phosphor-warp.html

"I recorded this one in voluntary enforced isolation, in the middle of nowhere, well, in the middle of English country side, in a barn. It took 4 months, I’d basically get up at 6 and work for 12 hours, read for 2 hours, then go for walks and try and freak myself out by standing next to trees and try and make out their form in the dark. I’m not a tree hugger, though.

I was really influenced by this amazing book called Annihilation by Jeff Vandemeer. That’s lots of eery natural/supernatural stuff that goes down in that book. It’s terrifying. The album zone became my Area x."

Does that story come across in the album at all ?

Honestly I would have guessed he stayed in his Berlin flat the whole time :cerious:

Will check the book though. He already recommended reading Lanark by Alasdair Gray and this was an awesome read.

Guest trananhhung

He should've stayed in Berlin during the recording. I bet we wouldn't be making non-dance dance tracks like girls with the pearls.

"Grit in the pearl" fucking great track .The first track is really nice too. have to listen to the stream a couple of times more and i will sure love it.....like aphex a couple of times :

BANG !!! DISCO BABY , SEXY BABY : HOT !!!

This sounds like a collection of Totems Flare b-sides, Clark remixes, and Throttle _____ EP tracks, with a dash of Body Riddle. I'm not hearing any Iradelphic here at all, except to the extent that both share a decided lack of edge and, sadly, there's no crunch happening anywhere. But almost every time it calls to mind something from Totems Flare, it's less interesting than what was on Totems Flare. It's a remix album of Clark's remix album. That's not necessarily a bad thing---after hearing "Unfurla" and "The Grit in the Pearl," I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the album as a whole---but it's not blowing my dick off. I'm sitting here in silence and don't know what track to revisit, because it's not that big of a deal.

"Winter Linn" starts off as a slowed down "Growl's Garden," then mirrors the second movement from "Alice." It also resembles the Health remix quite a bit. It's enjoyable.

"Sodium Trimmers" sounds like a Clark remix of Plastikman, with a real-time vocal sample from Tim Exile thrown in at the end. That's cool, I think.

"Banjo" is a fantastic Throttle EP track, but it sounds more like an interlude or an appetizer than a fully formed track (as those EP tracks always did). Really disappointed this isn't twice as long with a lot more hectic shit eventually happening.

"Beacon" is a mostly beatless "Herzog" meets "Future Daniel," which, again, I want to sound like a fully realized track, but Clark treats it like some combination of an EP track and a remix.

"Silvered Iris" sounds like various remixes, then resembles a "Luxman Furs" outtake, but with a less swingy beat.

"There's a Distance in You" recollects at various times "Rainbow Voodoo" and "Talis," as if his actual goal was to recall every sound on Totems Flare.

And the ambient tracks are pretty.

Guest trananhhung

Why are you surprised after those two boring singles? After he says he did it in 4 months and spent 40 seconds coming up with an intro. After wattm reviews saying that's nothing special and sounds like tamer versions of what he did before.

And fuck bibio for trolling on Syro. He should kneel and lick the floor everytime he reads the word Syro. Hear that Clio?

Guest trananhhung

I'm extremely disappointed just because I preordered the thing. I would buy a Clark record with my eyes closed every time since BR. I Should've learned the lesson after idapelvic. No more preorders from me, music artists, sorry.

Guest totemcrackerjack

I've listened to the stream a couple times, and I'm pretty damn happy with how this album turned out. It's funny that he ended up choosing the singles that he did, as they are two of the weaker tracks on the album imo. Thankfully, they're growing on me a bit more within the context of the album, which feels generally cohesive.

Current favorites are Strength through Fragility, Banjo, Beacon, Petroleum Tinged, and There's a Distance in You. Nothing particularly jumps out as filler and I think the album's best listened to as a whole.

I've listened to the stream a couple times, and I'm pretty damn happy with how this album turned out. It's funny that he ended up choosing the singles that he did, as they are two of the weaker tracks on the album imo. Thankfully, they're growing on me a bit more within the context of the album, which feels generally cohesive.

Current favorites are Strength through Fragility, Banjo, Beacon, Petroleum Tinged, and There's a Distance in You. Nothing particularly jumps out as filler and I think the album's best listened to as a whole.

funny . I think that the two singles or whatever are some of the best track on the album.

Whaat thee heell ! Just listened to the first 6 tracks and its a fucking godzilla monster !! its like clarence park mixed with turning dragon.

If Iradelphic was a little nice boy this is his evil nightmare brother.

Archived