IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest s0nspark

thats the worst Promo picture ever (he looks old and tired like the guy from machinist)

41883e03e4cd5eff94fc62f9d5262951.jpg

Agreed... made me think of this guy *shudder*:

a_560x375.jpg

Guest s0nspark

I have now officially listened to this album more than Syro (4 times) and I think I like it more with each listen. Definitely better than iradelphic.

I know the general consensus on Iradelphic is that it is not among his better works but I really dig it. It is a departure and I like that kind of thing... and that is one reason I find Syro more engaging than a lot of Aphex Twin's older releases.

I think there's something weird about a lot of his melodies that kept me from getting into his stuff since Body Riddle or so. From what I've heard of Iradelphic, many of the melodies honestly sound randomly generated to me. Even Winter Linn's melody in the beginning is pretty cheesy to me, although it doesn't waste its time dropping that shit and moving on to a much better place.

can comeone explain to me sodium trimmers. is that a joke? he he trying to make a bad track?

what? sodium trimmers is like the gaskarth/cyrk dedication of the selftitled...

can comeone explain to me sodium trimmers. is that a joke? he he trying to make a bad track?

I can see how the first part is a little generic but that 2nd half is controlled beast mode

Guest totemcrackerjack

What does that even mean? Not doubting Sodium Trimmers being an excellent track, but it seems a tad presumptuous for you to think that others will have experienced this track the way you do, and to the extent that you can use it as a simile. Such is da booty of musak.

I like this album my only complaint is that the album cover should have been a reinterpretation of the Clerks DVD cover with Clark's face instead of the characters faces.

hmpf.

i have this album since nov 3rd now and have'nt once listened to it for more than 10 min in a row. whenever i put it on, i start thinking about other stuff i'd rather listen to (syro, vhs head, the wyrding module, old clark ffs!).

i really can't understand how ppl can call this clark's best release or even comparable to his older stuff. not that it's a bad album, but compared to his masterpieces (i.e. everything before iradelphic) it's just so sub par... it really sounds like he kind of described it in one of the recent interviews: fuck all the intricate sound design, complex setups + arrangements, make some simple tunes in ableton instead. unfort the intricacy, complexity + general madness was exactly what clark was all about for me (again, before iradelphic).

+ it makes me sad.

btw tl;dr

Guest s0nspark

hmpf.

i really can't understand how ppl can call this clark's best release or even comparable to his older stuff. not that it's a bad album, but compared to his masterpieces (i.e. everything before iradelphic) it's just so sub par... it really sounds like he kind of described it in one of the recent interviews: fuck all the intricate sound design, complex setups + arrangements, make some simple tunes in ableton instead. unfort the intricacy, complexity + general madness was exactly what clark was all about for me (again, before iradelphic).

+ it makes me sad.

This release hit a good balance for me... I felt it was more emotional while still retaining enough of the intricacy, complexity and madness to make it interesting. (Syro hit me the same -- much to my surprise!)

My brain likes some kinds of music, my heart, others... releases like this engage both :)

I've actually already listening to this album more than a lot of other Clark releases. I've been rocking it a few times a day since it's been released. Something about it's minimalism & straight-forwardness coupled with the really catchy hooks just makes it keep getting stuck in my head and makes me want to put it on again.

Syro I couldn't even make it through a second listen before declaring it the most boring thing Aphex has done...

It hasn't clicked with me yet, I suppose I've played it maybe 6 times. It all sounds very interesting, I just got to work it out a bit more.

One major gripe is Petroleum Tinged is only a minute and a half long. I want an 8 minute version of that. Please.

I've actually already listening to this album more than a lot of other Clark releases. I've been rocking it a few times a day since it's been released. Something about it's minimalism & straight-forwardness coupled with the really catchy hooks just makes it keep getting stuck in my head and makes me want to put it on again.

Syro I couldn't even make it through a second listen before declaring it the most boring thing Aphex has done...

what you say about syro exactly how i feel about clark the album. there's nothing very interesting or outstanding about it and nothing that keeps stuck. straightforward yes, but without the urgency and direction of earlier releases. in fact, as i said before, there isn't anything that makes me wanna listen to it. i'll try again though.

syro on the other hand i think is very toned down for an afx release but also very interesting bc it's in fact a lot deeper than it sounds on first listen.

Well autopilot and me make 2, and there are a least a few others. From the perspective of a more casual fan (difficult to imagine through the feedback loop of rabid fanaticism on watmm, I know), syro just sounds like more ho-hum paint-by-numbers by Aphex. But hey not gonna hate as he's giving the people what they want & doing shit on his own terms so more power to him.

So back to this album, been keeping it on heavy rotation where it's been paying out some cerious dividends. After an initial ewww to Grit/Pearl back when it was just a preview track, now the ending on it might be one of my favorite moments on the release. Then beacon goes all upside my head and I'm all like :catnope:

Guest Roksen Creek

syro on the other hand i think is very toned down for an afx release but also very interesting bc it's in fact a lot deeper than it sounds on first listen.

You could say exactly the same about this album

Guest murphythecat8

for me, syro is the best thing aphex did since drukqs. much prefer syro to analord or the tuss.

overall, the ambient tracks are great and I like beacon. I just cannot get into the way he makes his songs progress. for me, its goes in every direction. clark seem to be good at a lot of things, master of none.

strenght thrue fragility and everlane is beautiful though!

You could say exactly the same about this album

one could say that, although i would be lying if i did. ;-)

but i still hope there is a deepness there i just haven't discovered yet. maybe i'm a bit stubborn bc he prefers to create something i don't like as much as what he did before. need to listen again.

Archived