IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Guest colonelchibbers

i think thats a default soundcloud thing when the page hasn't loaded fully etc

Does anyone understand why a huge number of the later tracks take on the same regular rising and falling wave shape? Were they like that before and I just didn't notice or does that have something to do with his mastering?

Ah yeah, that makes infinite sense, silly me. Thanks.

Guest trananhhung

Made a 11 track playlist from the shortest to the longest:

1 Make a baby

2 ∂ƒ∆

3 Fork rave

4 Slow early morning clissold sunrise

5 Martins Car LPF

6 Red calx slo

7 Ssnb

8 High hats tune tamclap orig

9 P - String

10 Organ

11 Japan

1 hour and 5 minutes

Just played Square Dance and usually I take no notice of the soundcloud comments 'cause I just find them a bit stupid and annoying but I laughed though when somebody wrote So You Sampled a Spacehopper :biggrin:

I do advise you, and everyone else here, to at least read Ivan Ooze's comments

uxEvMIs.png

That's great advise! I've logged it down in my leather bound tome, (written by goose quill under full moon). The hide of the tome crafted from the leathery skin of a badgers scrotum sack and the reddish pigment of the ink extracted from badgers blood.

I wonder which four tracks were on the aborted Q-Chastic EP from '92. chances are it is some of these. Bimbongo has the same synth sound as Symbonsad, and Red Alert sounds quite similar too.

Only now can I really appreciate the circumstances surrounding the many lost/abandoned releases, when you are producing music at such a rate it seems almost futile to try and stem it and convert into an easily digestable and coherent chunks for an audience every few months. Especially on a small label like Rephlex where you're only going to be cutting limited vinyl runs anyway. Thank fuck for the march of technology.

I wonder which four tracks were on the aborted Q-Chastic EP from '92. chances are it is some of these. Bimbongo has the same synth sound as Symbonsad, and Red Alert sounds quite similar too.

Only now can I really appreciate the circumstances surrounding the many lost/abandoned releases, when you are producing music at such a rate it seems almost futile to try and stem it and convert into an easily digestable and coherent chunks for an audience every few months. Especially on a small label like Rephlex where you're only going to be cutting limited vinyl runs anyway. Thank fuck for the march of technology.

Completely agree with the last statement.

As far as Q-Chastic goes, I remember Joyrex saying that the 12" has very little to do with the Symbonsad / 002 track musically. Here are the quotes:

I was told the Q-Chastic stuff sounds like typical 4/4 dance tracks, nothing special.

+

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/11144-q-chasticmelodies-from-mars/?do=findComment&comment=225809

I was hoping to maybe be able to tell if there are any Q-Chastic tracks in this batch, but it's impossible to say, although the first thing I thought when hearing the second Bimbongo was - as if it was made in the same day / week as 002.

hhmm interesting.

afx.wordpress has all the other track times for Q-Chastic as being 9-10mins long, that would square up with Joyrex's statement.

The lack of any Melodies From Mars material is also intriguing. Not just MFM itself but the later Joyrex Tape tracks or anything dated from 95 when he would have been working on it. Is it really true he has overhauled it all in preparation for release? I always thought that the Steinvord track 'Untitled 97' sounds exactly like what an updated Melodies From Mars track would sound like, even though it shares no obvious resemblance to those earlier ones. I really hope this is true. Before last week I was skeptical but now all bets are off!

so is there a consensus on how to call and credit this batch of music alr?

i'm still going with Aphex Twin - user487363530, 2015

just started an entire chronological marathon again .. in 320 yee

so is there a consensus on how to call and credit this batch of music alr?

i'm still going with Aphex Twin - user487363530, 2015

just started an entire chronological marathon again .. in 320 yee

I'm going with AFX - user48736353001

Dunno, AFX seems to work better as a RDJ catchall, particularly when there's a lot of transitional and/or slightly less polished things on here (not to say they aren't great, because they are). IMO. Probably not even a real distinction, and I'm just going to fuck up last.fm play counts.

Edited by baph

Fun to reread this article from 2010 - up until a couple of months ago I thought this was the most ridiculous claim, writing it off as some typical nonsense, something that would never see the light of day anyway. Now it seems almost an understatement :emotawesomepm9:

"I've got six completed [albums]," James told FactMag.com. "Two are very non-commercial, abstract, modular-synthesis, field recordings – those I finished four years ago. Another one is 'Melodies From Mars', which I redid about three years ago."
He added: "There's one of stuff I won't go into; a comp of old tracks. Which is never really finished and always changing; and then one I'm working on now. There are also loads of tracks which don't belong anywhere."
However James would not be drawn on when any of these records might be released.

funny going through all these old threads for info about this early stuff, and finding comments I left 8 years ago that I have no memory of.

Rephlex Discography - 1991/92-----------------------------NCC 1701	IG-88/Voafose and Ohm	Double A side 4 track 12"CAT 002		Q:Chastic		4 track double 7"CAT 003		Strong Island Players	1 sided promoCAT 004		Caustic Window		5 track EPCAT 005		Caustic Window		4 track white vinyl EPTR 606		The Cyberchildren	3 track (club use only)CAT 007		The Kosmik Kommando	4 track clear vinyl 12"CAT 008		Analogue Bubblebath 3	8 track EPart 2cd		Various			Compilation CDCAT 010		The Kosmik Kommando	6 track samplerFuture releases - 1993----------------------CAT 011		Green Calx		2 track picture diskRLP 101		Rephlex			Compilation albumCAT 013		Space Avenger		Cassette

So Cat011 was originally gonna be a 2-track picture disc by 'Green Calx' out in 93. That never happened at it became a Cylob release. Could be some of these tracks? Maybe it evolved into the U.I. Green release.

Theres also some other early pseudonyms/artists I'm not familiar with. IG-88=GW-C, Voafose=Simmonds, dunno about Ohm, Strong Island Players or Cyberchildren.

funny going through all these old threads for info about this early stuff, and finding comments I left 8 years ago that I have no memory of.

Rephlex Discography - 1991/92-----------------------------NCC 1701	IG-88/Voafose and Ohm	Double A side 4 track 12"CAT 002		Q:Chastic		4 track double 7"CAT 003		Strong Island Players	1 sided promoCAT 004		Caustic Window		5 track EPCAT 005		Caustic Window		4 track white vinyl EPTR 606		The Cyberchildren	3 track (club use only)CAT 007		The Kosmik Kommando	4 track clear vinyl 12"CAT 008		Analogue Bubblebath 3	8 track EPart 2cd		Various			Compilation CDCAT 010		The Kosmik Kommando	6 track samplerFuture releases - 1993----------------------CAT 011		Green Calx		2 track picture diskRLP 101		Rephlex			Compilation albumCAT 013		Space Avenger		Cassette

So Cat011 was originally gonna be a 2-track picture disc by 'Green Calx' out in 93. That never happened at it became a Cylob release. Could be some of these tracks? Maybe it evolved into the U.I. Green release.

Theres also some other early pseudonyms/artists I'm not familiar with. IG-88=GW-C, Voafose=Simmonds, dunno about Ohm, Strong Island Players or Cyberchildren.

Such a gem this list, so many things that didn't happen unfortunately! If my memory serves me right, Cyberchildren was the initial name given to U.I. Red under the guise of Martin Tressider, him being of course Richard (later credited in the AB3 sheet). The three track EP never got released obviously, but considering we got a couple of very U.I. style tracks in this batch I wouldn't be suprised if they were the ones planned for release.

Fun to reread this article from 2010 - up until a couple of months ago I thought this was the most ridiculous claim, writing it off as some typical nonsense, something that would never see the light of day anyway. Now it seems almost an understatement :emotawesomepm9:

"I've got six completed [albums]," James told FactMag.com. "Two are very non-commercial, abstract, modular-synthesis, field recordings – those I finished four years ago. Another one is 'Melodies From Mars', which I redid about three years ago."
He added: "There's one of stuff I won't go into; a comp of old tracks. Which is never really finished and always changing; and then one I'm working on now. There are also loads of tracks which don't belong anywhere."
However James would not be drawn on when any of these records might be released.

I wonder if those two modular synthesis/field recording albums featured any of the material from the noyzelab interview. there is about an hour of stuff there.

All these old tracks really reveal a side of Richard that he hasn't really shown much before. Although every 'type' of track has some approximation to something thats already released, I just get this overall sense of tenderness and cheerfulness that it seems he played down in the past. He said in an interview he isn't tied to the idea of an identity but that he felt the need to assume an identity to sell records and he kind of took the identity of a bad boy which is a little counter to some of this stuff. Just a thought, but this new material is really a revelation and a more rounded view of his work seems to come into view.

It's kind of funny that we get 112 tracks, almost 9 hours, of new music, and so many people are pointing out the "Japan" track that was released over 20 years ago as a highlight lel

I mean, what are you doing listening to 9 hours of leftovers when you haven't even listened to the official releases

The problem is it actually is a highlight because it's fucking excellent.

I guess not hearing a total of 3 or 4 tracks that aren't widely distributed anymore means I can't aphex. Oh well, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

That's not my point though, I mean, I don't care that you didn't listen to every single obscure track like a TRVE APHEX FAN should, don't take it so seriously. But I still find it funny that, of the more than a hundred new tracks we got, people gush over the only one that's already been released. Not in a "oh god why haven't you listened to every single track like a REAL FAN LIKE ME" way, but in a "well that's ironic" way

Makes sense to me, though.

It confirms that this track was "the one" to release.

Correct choice made, RDJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that and Shit Smothered

I wonder if those two modular synthesis/field recording albums featured any of the material from the noyzelab interview. there is about an hour of stuff there.

A handful of tracks from the Noyzelab interview was made into a playlist on SC by Richard called 'Modular Trax', I guess that was at least one of them, and then there's the rest in there which could also be related to it, although I don't notice a lot of field recordings on any of them.

What tracks would you list, if you had to do a top 10 to sum up this whole thing and its variety?

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

short mental afx

5 sline is my no.1 favourite tune right now.. Sounds early Gescom.

"How Much I Wanted You" is the shit! I love how RDJ always can have these playful tunes with lovely drums, haunting and with voices.

We are gonna talk so much about all these tracks.

Thank you forever Richard D. James

Makes sense to me, though.

It confirms that this track was "the one" to release.

Correct choice made, RDJ.

Well, that and Shit Smothered

Touché.

Edited by psn