IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

what i mean is all the non-spotlight tracks say "this track has no comments" when i click on it. And they don't have a comments button. But you can still leave a comment. maybe my internet is playing up.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

what i mean is all the non-spotlight tracks say "this track has no comments" when i click on it. And they don't have a comments button. But you can still leave a comment. maybe my internet is playing up.

Same here for me

no, i noticed the same

the tags on the newly uploaded rhubarb are completely different compared to what they were on the original upload during syrobonkers, it looks like richard downloaded someone else's version of it with their neat and tidy tags and uploaded that. that's funny to me for some reason.

yeah someone did some mastering obviously as they sound much better than before (besides the better quality) . I am really happy about that

is the eq better on the newly uploaded rhubarb? sounds like it still has too much bass at parts to me

the tags on the newly uploaded rhubarb are completely different compared to what they were on the original upload during syrobonkers, it looks like richard downloaded someone else's version of it with their neat and tidy tags and uploaded that. that's funny to me for some reason.

yeah someone did some mastering obviously as they sound much better than before (besides the better quality) . I am really happy about that

is the eq better on the newly uploaded rhubarb? sounds like it still has too much bass at parts to me

nope, they're exactly the same, md5 checksum matches up

no, i noticed the same

yep same here now

When I look at my play count Gerald Remix takes the cake. That track fits many occasions. So solid and light-hearted without being overly so. Just good.

What the fuck are Warp making of all this?

I really doubt Warp and RDJ have anything other than a very relaxed contract or agreement. I don't think RDJ likes any control at all over his work, and Warp probably provide the distribution and marketing and not much else, and Rich is probably very happy with that if he still releases through them/Bleep. It's not like Rich is going to need much cash to cover mastering (does he do that stuff himself? I forget), and he has his own studio to work and record in, so with Warp providing very little, they can't demand very much back.

Contracts come in all different "shapes and sizes" so there is no need to assume Warp hold rights over his work, it could just be the distribution/marketing of it.

edit: That being said, they're probably missing out on a lot of dosh, but probably not much they can do about it.

The "Barry's Bangers" splattering of the google docs a couple of days ago claimed CCAI was a contract breaker, which seems to match with an interview given years ago about how after 'Drukqs' he had 2 albums to go on his Warp contract (if my memory serves me at all, which is debatable.)

I really doubt Warp and RDJ have anything other than a very relaxed contract or agreement. I don't think RDJ likes any control at all over his work, and Warp probably provide the distribution and marketing and not much else, and Rich is probably very happy with that if he still releases through them/Bleep. It's not like Rich is going to need much cash to cover mastering (does he do that stuff himself? I forget), and he has his own studio to work and record in, so with Warp providing very little, they can't demand very much back.

Contracts come in all different "shapes and sizes" so there is no need to assume Warp hold rights over his work, it could just be the distribution/marketing of it.

edit: That being said, they're probably missing out on a lot of dosh, but probably not much they can do about it.

The "Barry's Bangers" splattering of the google docs a couple of days ago claimed CCAI was a contract breaker, which seems to match with an interview given years ago about how after 'Drukqs' he had 2 albums to go on his Warp contract (if my memory serves me at all, which is debatable.)

Interesting, might tie in to his idea of closing an era or however he put it in Syro interviews, as well.

What about 26MFC?

I don't believe any of it. Back when Drukqs was released the word 'contract breaker' was dropped a lot too, it seemed almost insulting. But lets go back to the year 2009 (links to scans), when Steve Beckett from Warp did an interview with the German magazine Groove. He stated that Aphex Twin signed a contract for three new albums. He also said there will be a release of an elaborate box set with all sorts of archive material (not only Aphex) for the 20th anniversary.

That last bit is already way overdue, but could still happen (although I doubt it seeing how this SC 'scuppered' those plans), but in the case of new albums, Richard and Warp aren't finished I think (although their relationship seems watered down since Rob Mitchell passed away, but that's another story). Besides that, now that Rephlex has quit it doesn't seem like a logical decision, but logic isn't in question in this case I guess :)

1 70s tune is a perfect example of aphexian earwormy songwriting. cant get enough of this one

if MFM ever gets properly released i reckon 1 70s tune should be added to it

Here are a couple of files I remastered for you all. A louder sounding version of bellbrk with the loud subs made a bit more managable, and utopia with the low mids softened and those hi-freq fm sounds less harsh.

bellbrk (limited/compressed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5oeo6phip6mwt8/bellbrk%20%28limited%29.mp3?dl=0

utopia (EQ): https://www.dropbox.com/s/25tniohmlvcb4t0/8%20utopia%20%28EQ%29.mp3?dl=0

Very nice these, thanks :)!

I can hear a significant difference between the originals and Bambi's mastered ones. I guess it might do some good to go through the collection and master it carefully, there's a few tracks that could use some work I guess.

edit: I didn't initially think I'd want to master any of them but this has changed my mind a bit.

Edited by StephenG

Guest trananhhung

Thanks!

It surprises me to read so many calls for a traditional release, and efforts to somehow categorise this and seperate the tracks into years, aliases etc. To me, this past week has been the exact opposite of that, and something I've been waiting for for years. Somebody embracing the web and breaking free of that ancient 'twelve songs on a disc for a tenner' mould entirely. For me, this IS the album and the delivery method. It's new and unexplained and chaotic and unwieldy but isn't that everything RDJ has always been? I'd much rather hear him move on to his next project than wait six months for this stuff on a bunch of discs.

But that's just me / not that there's anything wrong with that etc

totally agree
+1
Agree

Someone may have already said this, but what is the possibility that this SC bounty is all leadup and promo for a forthcoming "Unreleased Aphex Backcatalog" compilation, coming from Warp in the not too distant future?

Is there any chance that these are tracks that "just didn't make the cut?"

Someone may have already said this, but what is the possibility that this SC bounty is all leadup and promo for a forthcoming "Unreleased Aphex Backcatalog" compilation, coming from Warp in the not too distant future?

there's always a chance!

OuiTH6T.jpg?1

Small chance, Richard explained why he did this instead of releasing a compilation in an interview right before the Syro release. From OOR mag (third time posting it in this thread but what the hell):

I recently tried to craft an oldschool compilation.
I literally have hundreds of tracks from around Selected Ambient Works 85-92. But after three hours I already gave up. I tried it a few more times, but I just
cant get trough that pile of music. After three hours I dont even know why I'm doing this, it feels so pointless"
Was this for your own pleasure or for a commercial release?
"For an release. I'm thinking of releasing a boxset. But it feels a bit like you died, isn't it? That's what I told Warp. They said: you should put a gravestone
on it! But I have already done that.[on the cover of the Girl/Boy single you can find a gravestone of his stillborn brother who would have been named Richard James].
I'm not sure what to do with it. Rephlex stopped, so that's not really and option. I still have some other ideas though, maybe I'll release some stuff anonymously.
That's always fun, to see what happens. I think I'll go that way."
Besides that, if the rumour by Philie T (look a few pages back) is true, he could continue using the SC for uploading more tracks as the months go by. Who knows :)?

im kind of astonished you guys already already picking up on these little differences, so much music to digest in so little time. good job though

To be honest, it was only because I'd tagged the 128 versions and was trying to do a quick copy and paste of info to the new 320's. I organised the files by track length as some of the names had changed (Like Sline had become Jap Flute Energy Rave) and thats when the Phlangebeat thing became apparent.

Here you go...two DIFFERENT versions of Phlangebeat. One running at 5:11 and one at 4:37. It starts to get a bit different at the 3 mins mark.

http://we.tl/PBHKseUO3y

Odd, right?

And this one doesn't have some glitch like the 'extended' Dixons track had. Interesting, thanks for grabbing it so fast then :)

I like that it slips further into Ventolin (Praze-And-Beeble) than the shorter version, too...

another glitch, it just repeats last 34s at the end, you guys are imagining too much

k9IjD2p.png

Here are a couple of files I remastered for you all. A louder sounding version of bellbrk with the loud subs made a bit more managable, and utopia with the low mids softened and those hi-freq fm sounds less harsh.

bellbrk (limited/compressed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5oeo6phip6mwt8/bellbrk%20%28limited%29.mp3?dl=0

utopia (EQ): https://www.dropbox.com/s/25tniohmlvcb4t0/8%20utopia%20%28EQ%29.mp3?dl=0

mastering mp3's? my ears hurt.. :cattears:

Finished organizing my files, and I've uploaded them in case anyone wants them, free account though so I don't know how much bandwidth/how many downloads I'm allowed:

https://mega.co.nz/#!oQYhiZLR!0JgeqyNmIi2kCJDCTuO3-6Dt3tnKFk1r9K2TO1kb4Yo

112 tracks (110 downloaded from Soundcloud + the 128 kbps streaming versions of the 2 that were only briefly available).

I've left the filenames unchanged, but tags are as follows.

Artist: AFX (it's the hashtag he added to nearly every track and I thought it unnecessary to make exceptions for the couple of aphex/pbod/... ones).

Album: user48736353001

Track number: Order they were uploaded

Title: As on Soundcloud (so sometimes different from the file name)

I also added his comments and embedded the artwork for each track.

If someone downloads this and finds anything wrong with it (bad files or errors in the tags or whatever), let me know.

Thanks allot!

Perfect.

Small chance, Richard explained why he did this instead of releasing a compilation in an interview right before the Syro release. From OOR mag (third time posting it in this thread but what the hell):

I recently tried to craft an oldschool compilation.
I literally have hundreds of tracks from around Selected Ambient Works 85-92. But after three hours I already gave up. I tried it a few more times, but I just
cant get trough that pile of music. After three hours I dont even know why I'm doing this, it feels so pointless"
Was this for your own pleasure or for a commercial release?
"For an release. I'm thinking of releasing a boxset. But it feels a bit like you died, isn't it? That's what I told Warp. They said: you should put a gravestone
on it! But I have already done that.[on the cover of the Girl/Boy single you can find a gravestone of his stillborn brother who would have been named Richard James].
I'm not sure what to do with it. Rephlex stopped, so that's not really and option. I still have some other ideas though, maybe I'll release some stuff anonymously.
That's always fun, to see what happens. I think I'll go that way."
Besides that, if the rumour by Philie T (look a few pages back) is true, he could continue using the SC for uploading more tracks as the months go by. Who knows :)?

I forgot about that bit of the interview, thanks for that. Surprised this is the first time I've seen that part of the interview come up in this whole thread.

Edited by StephenG