IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

just saw this on "sams car"

"pre Saw1, found on an old unmarked cassette.

hard to find my old tracks, coz i couldnt afford to buy blank tapes, used to grab tapes at random, like my mums johnny mathis tapes, stick a bit of selotape over the hole so it would record and record but most of the time i never even rewound the tapes to the beginning, just wherever it was on the tape, then forgot which tapes i recorded it on, although if some have tape, it\s a clue but still have to find the bloody track and ona c90 that can take fucking ages!"

Pro tape ripper tips:

Use a 4 track porta studio tape player, that way both sides can be ripped at once from the direct outs. Just reverse tracks 3&4 afterwards, and half the time is saved. Rip at 96 or 192khz and use the double speed feature on the porta, then resample the rip down to 48 or 96kbps to get it back to normal speed. That way you cut the ripping time in half again. Leave it on silently while doing other stuff, then skip through the finished waveform in a DAW.

Using this process ripping an entire C90 takes about 23 minutes, and checking its content can be done in seconds by skipping about the timeline in the DAW.

Apply a little sticker to mark the "done" tapes and put them in a separate box, to avoid double work.

You'd have to make sure the lowpass filter before the ADC is about 40kHz or more, not just 20kHz. It sounds like a false economy to me. Those motors are unstable enough as it is, for one thing. The way I did it was simply to plug a portable sound recorder (an Edirol R-09 in my case) into the tape player, check the levels, let it play the first side silently, come back 45 minutes later, repeat. Job's a good'un.

I'm so glad Sam's Car has been preserved for posterity, it's right up there with the SAW 1 tracks IMO.

You'd have to make sure the lowpass filter before the ADC is about 40kHz or more, not just 20kHz.

Do you mean there is a low pass filter on the outs of the tape player, apart from Dolby, etc? Never thought about that, and would it be necessary? I simply plug my Tascam 424 straight into the soundcard.

Anyway, the recorded high end shelves off at 10khz on the Tascam on regular speed, so frequencies wouldn't go higher than 20khz anyway on double speed.

http://homerecording.com/tas424specs.html

Guest chops727

Yes that would be good to find things but then if you did have a random track in the middle of a c90 , you would have to find it again, then record it properly with good eq, which would offset your time save considerably.

Makes no sense to record it with eq when you can adjust all that in the DAW after it has been digitized.

not if you want analogue eq though, also a hifi deck is going to be better quality, ideally you want the machine it was recorded on.

But I think it's a good tip for finding stuff, prob save a bit of time.

Edited by chops727

not if you want analogue eq though, also a hifi deck is going to be better quality, ideally you want the machine it was recorded on.

But I think it's a good tip for finding stuff, prob save a bit of time.

Yeah, it can always be done in a very careful manner, but I think the hifi element took the back seat already when this was recorded 25 years ago. With literally boxes of unmarked tapes needing to be sifted through a pragmatic approach is needed. :wink:

You'd have to make sure the lowpass filter before the ADC is about 40kHz or more, not just 20kHz.

Do you mean there is a low pass filter on the outs of the tape player, apart from Dolby, etc? Never thought about that, and would it be necessary? I simply plug my Tascam 424 straight into the soundcard.

Anyway, the recorded high end shelves off at 10khz on the Tascam on regular speed, so frequencies wouldn't go higher than 20khz anyway on double speed.

http://homerecording.com/tas424specs.html

I mean there's a low pass filter on the input of the digital recorder, so that it won't try to digitise anything that's so fast it aliases. You know when you see footage of a wheel spinning fast in one direction, and it looks like it's spinning slower in the other direction? It stops the audio equivalent of that happening. As far as the tape player goes, I don't know what filters it might or might not have. Hopefully if it does have any, doubling it would make it go to twice that cutoff point frequency. I wouldn't risk it.

Wow, if it only goes up to 10kHz on the tape itself, then you could record it (at single speed) at 22.05kHz with no problems. :) Ah, analogue warmth. ;)

posted on the new saw playlist...

"there are more inc. version of the tracks that were released on saw1 that will come out on re-release one day hopefully, so saving those for that."

I cant wait!

A re-release of SAW1 with bonus tracks would be great.

Currently giving this SAW1.5 list a go, works pretty well.

"there are more inc. version of the tracks that were released on saw1 that will come out on re-release one day hopefully, so saving those for that."

I cant wait!

I mean, this is some of the most interesting things yet coming out of the Dump. Not only did he upload all these tunes, but these are outtakes, he has more, and better, tunes preparing for release.

If thats not good news I don't know what is. Last time he mentioned giving an ep to Warp, he said would be 3 months to release. So more great old tunes, on an official release in May/June?

And my gut says he's gonna keep uploading more until then.

Edited by relaks

Guest bitroast

I cant wait!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

173+ tracks on soundcloud and he's still holding some back... madness!

Alright, I get it now, thanks to 'mandelum' on SC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-UV8d1pH8

D'oh, it was the first thing I thought of when I read that 'fork rave' title, mainly because that Think Tank track was played in his Pukkelpop set with Luke and was one of my fave tracks from it, but I never made the connection. Cool :)

I'm guessing around 1992/3 or so, but it's a tough one :)

kinda reminds me of 93-y ? ..

When compared to Gibbon I'd say you guys are probably spot on with 1992/93

Probably 1889

It's obviously fucking 1992/93, you penis! Hang your head in shame...

Edited by Dean Carbin

Guest bitroast

Probably 1889

It's obviously fucking 1992/93, you penis! Hang your head in shame...

there's a comment on the 3 S Tral track "Analord stuff here" which just seems waaaaaaaay off