IGNORED

‘Damogen Furies’ will be released via Warp Records 20 April. Download ‘Rayc Fire 2’ at squarepusher.net

Aphex_Squarepusher_Twin

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, this record just keeps getting better with every listen. Baltang Ort has revealed itself to be amazing.

Squarepusher came to tear fucking faces off with this album!

I'm pretty sure this is my fave SP album. He just nailed everything about it.

you speak my mind, thanks

very good album

I came many times

I've found that the moments that seemed dodgy to me don't seem dodgy when playing my digital vinyl in the physical vinyl track order.

And kontenjaz suddenly seems like Tom executing a classic microsoftian Embrace-Extend-Extinguish maneuver on a Skrillex drop, which is possibly the most squarepusher thing to ever happen.

The mixing/mastering is fine on it too. Tom's ears are not fucked, dude.

Thanks, Tom.

Thom.

I'm seriously not even sure where anyone is getting a brostep comparison from, this stuff is far too complex to be even considered brostep imo

I'm seriously not even sure where anyone is getting a brostep comparison from, this stuff is far too complex to be even considered brostep imo

its the sounds dude, i think im not the only one who has it made it known several times that everything about it is pretty top tier except for his sound choices (which are imo poor) . The bass line synth style reminds me too much of modern EDM, albeit granted it has a slightly unique grittier/custom made quality it still evokes the trailer for Spring Breakers

Really? Isolate 2:04 to about 2:14 in Kontenjaz and compare to any "Best Dropz" 2011-2012 youtube compilation.

It's intentionally there IMO, as much as it's quickly subverted, fucked with, and elevated per Tom's classic M.O.

edit: by the time 2:30 rolls around anyone who enjoyed thinking they were getting a straight HARD AS FUCK DROP would probably start getting visibly upset, like a traditionalist metalhead during an unexpected Bungle klezmer breakdown. It's hilarious.

its the sounds dude, i think im not the only one who has it made it known several times that everything about it is pretty top tier except for his sound choices (which are not to my taste) . The bass line synth style reminds me too much of modern EDM, albeit granted it has a slightly unique grittier/custom made quality it still evokes the trailer for Spring Breakers

I guess if you're bombarded with EDM type stuff all the time I can see how it'd wind you up. A Pavlovian response or something.

But I've never really listened to any EDM/Brostep, or had it inflicted upon me, so I don't get the association.

i think if you played Damogen Furies and then these back to back for someone totally unfamiliar with electronic music they might assume they're even in the same genre

But I've never really listened to any EDM/Brostep, or had it inflicted upon me, so I don't get the association.

maybe that means i watch too much tv. its in tons of car commercials, pretty much any 'hard' commercial with bombastic action oriented activity.

i think if you played Damogen Furies and then these back to back for someone totally unfamiliar with electronic music they might assume they're even in the same genre

oh noes

its the sounds dude, i think im not the only one who has it made it known several times that everything about it is pretty top tier except for his sound choices (which are imo poor) . The bass line synth style reminds me too much of modern EDM, albeit granted it has a slightly unique grittier/custom made quality it still evokes the trailer for Spring Breakers

I hear the sounds too, but I think that's the whole point with this album "look how insane I can make these sounds go you edm noobs" or summat

I hear the sounds too, but I think that's the whole point with this album "look how insane I can make these sounds go you edm noobs" or summat
Yeah I think that's more what I was trying to say. Like early-mid 90s IDM taking mainstream sounds and repurposing them. No brostep artist would dare to make anything like Kontenjaz, and not many could anyway.

Yeah I think that's more what I was trying to say. Like early-mid 90s IDM taking mainstream sounds and repurposing them. No brostep artist would dare to make anything like Kontenjaz, and not many could anyway.
exactly Tom has just shown the world how idiotic and dumb and effortless mainstream music is (again)

1:30 and 1:39 on Baltang Arg reminds me of that quote by Nobby Stiles about Eusebio. When asked to take him out he replied, for this match or permanently?

Fucking lethal.

2nd half being mostly contrapuntal is pretty sweet too.

exactly Tom has just shown the world how idiotic and dumb and effortless mainstream music is (again)

lol, I'm not calling mainstream music effortless, writing pop songs is difficult as fuck

lol, I'm not calling mainstream music effortless, writing pop songs is difficult as fuck
yh, making bad music takes effort

edit: imo

I can see someone describing this album as... *deep breath* POST-DUBSTEP

bigsound_anthony_fantano_h_0914_v2.ff0df

lol I checked and he's actually reviewed it already...

btw Rayc Fire actually reminds me of the noise breakdown in 54 cymru beats, but stretched over almost 5 whole minutes, in a good sense (it's probably my favorite bit on drukqs, statistically speaking)

......I'm pretty sure Baltang Ort is my favorite track on the album now. Also, is this Album of the Year so far?

I can see someone describing this album as... *deep breath* POST-DUBSTEP

bigsound_anthony_fantano_h_0914_v2.ff0df

naw he ain't that dumb.

he did call that track "Rake Fire" though. and he said "Oofaboolum".

Archived