IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

There is some weird stuff in there but it’s really interesting like focusing a pint on the wall to support concentration or watching the  sun directly each day for 5 minutes with closed eyes

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Objectively wrong. 

did you listen to his thoughts on it? he compares what was promised vs what was delivered. how george jetson had a 3 hour work day 3 days a week etc etc etc.. 

but if you want to argue with him he's on twitter. he makes a fair argument acknowledging the good things and reminding that a lot of what exists was built on roads paved and funded by tax payers. 

also compares steve jobs to musk, zuckerberg etc and how they just don't know what they're doing. jobs had a skill of knowing what people really wanted and whipped his developers until they delivered on it.. zuckerbeg etc don't know what people want and are spending billions trying to convince people they should be on meta or whatever. 

anyway.. it's a good 26 minute essay worth listening to. it's thought provoking. 

edit: basically it's a failure by the standards that predated it.. the standards put forth by 'visionary' people before the capitalists and libertarian types got married with venture capital and blah blah blah. 

edit edit: also, i enjoy someone saying that and dedicating airspace to it and think the tech industry doesn't hear that enough. they should get poked w/a stick more often. venture capital and stupid high stock valuations got everyone drunk on big dollars. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

did you listen to his thoughts on it?

I did not. If he wants to publish something to read I’ll read it. I think the premise that “everybody’s life is worse because of tech industry” is wrong. If he wants to present a more nuanced argument he should stop using click bait  style headlines. 

george jetson had a 3 hour work day 3 days a week

The Jetsons was a fun 30 minute cartoon that I used to watch after school. As a teenager, I understood that it was fiction, and not something to base life expectations around. 

he makes a fair argument acknowledging the good things and reminding that a lot of what exists was built on roads paved and funded by tax payers. 

I suppose that the headline “the tech industry: some things are good and some things aren’t good” doesn’t sell as well as the above mentioned one. 

compares steve jobs to musk, zuckerberg etc and how they just don't know what they're doing. jobs had a skill of knowing what people really wanted and whipped his developers until they delivered on it.. zuckerbeg etc don't know what people want and are spending billions trying to convince people they should be on meta or whatever. 

Jobs was a narcissistic asshole but at least he could deliver a product. 
Musk is a lunatic with too much money and the ego of a 3 year old. 
The zucc is just…weird. 
No one should listen to any of these people as some sort of prophets. 
Apple is one of the most ruthlessly capitalist corps out there though, and always has been. 

Again, I’m sure there’s a nuanced argument in there, but I take umbrage with a guy delivering a statement as definitive and as broad as the one he made. 

I also find it some what ironic that he probably has his podcast hosted on a tech industry platform…

24 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I did not. If he wants to publish something to read I’ll read it.

just fckn listen to it or go to the site and look for a transcript. you don't even know what he's  saying and you're shitting on it. he talks about all the problems you're mentioning. stop being a child and getting emotional over a headline 

yeah.. we know all about jobs. it's well worn carpet. this is acknowledged by literally everyone. 

i guess i could transcribe the thing for you but it'll cost you like $30 an hour and i type really slow. 

edit. .you can take your umbrage all your umbraging day long. 

Edited by ignatius

I don’t think click bait headlines are good for anyone. I dislike listening to podcasts. 
sorry if that makes me a child. 

What is the “tech industry”? Who is “everyone”? Am I a bad person because I find some utility in products like Facebook and Twitter? 
I’ll ask him I guess.

But seriously, fuck podcasts. Ain’t nobody got time to listen to 26 minutes what could be read in 5. (by nobody, I mean only me, and not the fantastic character in “Dead Man” and “Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai”).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I don’t think click bait headlines are good for anyone. I dislike listening to podcasts. 
sorry if that makes me a child. 

What is the “tech industry”? Who is “everyone”? Am I a bad person because I find some utility in products like Facebook and Twitter? 
I’ll ask him I guess.

But seriously, fuck podcasts. Ain’t nobody got time to listen to 26 minutes what could be read in 5. (by nobody, I mean only me, and not the fantastic character in “Dead Man” and “Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai”).

why are you being so obtuse? (not a real question)

those are two good movies. i especially love Ghost Dog. Jarmusch can really bring it sometimes.. well.. more often than not. 

i listen to podcast once in a while. it's nice when waking up and having coffee or ww/headphones on when fixing a fence or something. there's other times beyond those two specific instances but i'm not going to list them.  i'd often rather listen to podcast than read the script especially if there's guests who do really good impressions of henry kissinger and make smart jokes at the right time. 

as for FB and twitter. i use twitter. i like it some times. .it's not about finding some utility it's about how the algorithm feeds people things to make them angry and outraged because that's the thing that is most likely to continue their engagement w/the app/site etc. and essentially this became weaponized. .but i know you know this.. it's not about people smart enough to know what's happening and avoid those behaviors.

anyway.. it's an interesting essay he wrote and then read which for me was a reminder of some things and funny/fun listening in some ways and as said i like when tech gets poked w/a stick sometimes because they're so insulated they don't often have any idea wtf is actually going in people's lives who aren't working in their world. or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it's not about people smart enough to know what's happening and avoid those behaviors.

I dislike this argument - I don't think those people are dumb. I think a lot of them are racist assholes who are scared that their way of life is changing because of demographic shifts and can't adapt, this simply allows them to stoke their own belief system.

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

why are you being so obtuse? (not a real question)

If I wasn't obtuse I'd be acute, and I'm definitely not that. (a non-real answer)

7 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i like when tech gets poked w/a stick sometimes because they're so insulated they don't often have any idea wtf is actually going in people's lives who aren't working in their world

For sure. Those photos of people at facebook or wherever sitting in an office, while all wearing VR headsets is fucking hilarious and very sad all at the same time.

I haven't watched Ghost Dog in a long time - I love Dead Man though.

I can't go find him on twitter cause now the link in the original post you made isn't showing up either in mobile or on the laptop - I guess he's right. tech is a failure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I dislike this argument - I don't think those people are dumb. I think a lot of them are racist assholes who are scared that their way of life is changing because of demographic shifts and can't adapt, this simply allows them to stoke their own belief system.

If I wasn't obtuse I'd be acute, and I'm definitely not that. (a non-real answer)

For sure. Those photos of people at facebook or wherever sitting in an office, while all wearing VR headsets is fucking hilarious and very sad all at the same time.

I haven't watched Ghost Dog in a long time - I love Dead Man though.

I can't go find him on twitter cause now the link in the original post you made isn't showing up either in mobile or on the laptop - I guess he's right. tech is a failure.

it's robert evans who does 'behind the bastards' which is often really good. 

regarding the people mainlining the weaponized outrage.. yeah.. a lot of them are just not getting it.. how it works. they think they're immune. it's not just the right but also the left and yeah.. there's a whole bunch of racists sprinkled in.. but it's so far beyond what we think it is or will become. 

if you read neal stephenson.. in one of his recent books "Fall or Dodge in Hell" which is a good book.. there's a section on culture and social media and what it becomes.. he said he had that part written then trump got elected and social media was so much crazier than what he'd written so he trashed and wrote that part over again. his vision of it in that book is amazing and fuckn crazy as hell...  but lines up really well as a trajectory where shit could go. 

if you read neal stephenson.. in one of his recent books "Fall or Dodge in Hell" which is a good book.. there's a section on culture and social media and what it becomes.. he said he had that part written then trump got elected and social media was so much crazier than what he'd written so he trashed and wrote that part over again. his vision of it in that book is amazing and fuckn crazy as hell...  but lines up really well as a trajectory where shit could go. 

loved "fall or dodge in hell", the social media bit with the feeds and algorithms based on class and being able to afford a personal curator was pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke viia said:

i love this line:

She studies attention in drivers and witnesses to crime and says the idea of an "average attention span" is pretty meaningless. 

and this:

It turns out that there is no evidence that goldfish - or fish in general - have particularly short attention spans or memories, despite what popular culture suggests.

Goldfish can perform all the kinds of learning that have been described for mammals and birds," she says. 

"And they've become a model system for studying the process of learning and the process of memory formation, exactly because they have a memory and because they learn."

• Farnsworth 1

On 10/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, prdctvsm said:

BaggyBaggyBeagle-max-1mb.gif

If this needs to be shortened, Kendrick said it pretty well: "clout chasing hell of a disease brother"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

anyone on Mastodon? i've been trying it out lightly for a few months following a few math and science folk, but now that Twitter is officially dead, i'm curious to find some interesting music/etc. people too.

t s r o n o (@tsrono@mastodon.social) - Mastodon

I tried it a couple of years ago and it was pretty dead. Maybe musky buying twitter will push more people to the platform. I think social media is goin gto go through a significant rejig over the next decade as people rethink their relationship with social media and what it means.

I think this article raises some interesting points on a potential future for VR and social media. Also of course, William Gibson's Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties) are a particularly relevant look at what might come about (as well as lots of manga/anime but I think Gibson really captures it from some of the sociological aspect). Lol sorry, not relevant at all to your question @auxien but I just got on a tangent.