IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

3 hours ago, auxien said:

anyone on Mastodon? i've been trying it out lightly for a few months following a few math and science folk, but now that Twitter is officially dead, i'm curious to find some interesting music/etc. people too.

t s r o n o (@tsrono@mastodon.social) - Mastodon

Honestly all social media is getting really annoying and unnecessary to me. I prefer a lot more forums like this, since I can participate in intellectual discussions—I give a damn about everything else in your life (unless I don't). I mostly use social media now days to publish my work and general "don't forget about me" content, but it feels like a chore anyways. There's a new damned app called "Be Real" that forces you to use it with a "twist", but still feels completely annoying.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, logakght said:

Honestly all social media is getting really annoying and unnecessary to me. I prefer a lot more forums like this, since I can participate in intellectual discussions—I give a damn about everything else in your life (unless I don't). I mostly use social media now days to publish my work and general "don't forget about me" content, but it feels like a chore anyways. There's a new damned app called "Be Real" that forces you to use it with a "twist", but still feels completely annoying.

Agreed- TikTok and Reddit are ok but people are just posting how great they are on social media which became so weird during the pandemic 

37 minutes ago, o00o said:

Agreed- TikTok and Reddit are ok but people are just posting how great they are on social media which became so weird during the pandemic 

I know quite a few people/friends who finally saw the light and threw in the social media towel in the later stages of the pandemic. I think life was hard enough with their unique difficult situations to navigate, without being bombarded by ultra wanker competitive attention seekers. 

1 hour ago, o00o said:

TikTok is among the worst offenders for data collection and exploitation. Reddit (especially popular subreddits) has quickly turned into huge echo chambers and is full of karma farmers and bots. 

Forums are the best!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I tried it a couple of years ago and it was pretty dead. Maybe musky buying twitter will push more people to the platform. I think social media is goin gto go through a significant rejig over the next decade as people rethink their relationship with social media and what it means.

i think you're behind the curve on things there, but not wrong. Mastodon got a bit of influx back when Musk said he was buying Twitter earlier in the year and seems to be having a second round right now. social media as a whole is and has always been in constant flux since the internet's existence, that's the lay of the land. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, logakght said:

WATMM is social media. so is Soundcloud and YouTube and everywhere else you go where people share and interact. unless it's a static repository, essentially everything on the internet has some aspect of 'social media' ingrained into it. obv not all are Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc., but they're not far from it in many cases.

also lol at intellectual discussions on forums but i get ya, you're not wrong they're possible. but it's funny.

we're all just 'publishing' our work, our thoughts, our interests, etc. BeReal sounds silly but perfect for some groups of friends i'm sure....no one will remember it in 10 years, and that's fine: that's social media on the internet.

anyway, Mastodon is a slight touch closer to a 'forum' experience in that you can get involved with particular servers that might be more sectioned off for particular groups, interests, etc. you can choose to interact with the larger mass of servers as much or as little as you care to. but the posting/threading/etc. for now is very much Twitter-based, obv....but some users are working at building things on top of the Mastodon platform, which could be interesting perhaps. because of that, it can feel a little clique-y though....much like a WATMM or whatever.

re: Reddit...these days it's basically just Facebook from 5-10 years ago but with sorta-anonymous people mostly, so imo it's kinda great. can pick and choose all the best interesting subs and there's lots of dedicated mods and get all sorts of 'news' (memes, cute stuff, actual news, whatever) that a Facebook or MySpace or Twitter served up, but without having to actually know anyone (ideal for me tbh, i just have anon accounts there) if you don't want to....with no seeing pics of your cousin's 3rd's wife's dogs, and without insane amounts of ads, constant pestering for more info/whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

WATMM is social media.

yes and no. on one hand, sure, we are technically being "social" interacting with each other on here...but the "media" part is certainly different than the FB, Twitter's, etc, where a person's identity is known.

the anonymity factor is what appeals to me about forums. that's what strikes me as a key difference between the way forums and forummers interact with each other, rather than the promotional heavy d-bags on FB and twitter... the fact your real identity isn't disclosed, therefore you aren't trying to promote or sell shit. just voice your thoughts with no self attachment. no ego, just real shit. shit most people don't like looking at...

anyway man, there's definitely a difference between posting on something like watmm than that self promotional bullshit like twitter. who the fuck cares on here. like limited people come on this site, and are such a small segment of the rest of the shitheads out there...or what not.

idk...modern reality is all such an inconsequential fucking popularity contest...total fucking bullshit man. no one really sees what people are up to. just fucking stay busy for appearances. fake shit everywhere. oh well. all that shit is out of my control.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, zero said:

but the "media" part is certainly different than the FB, Twitter's, etc, where a person's identity is known.

the anonymity factor is what appeals to me about forums.

we're only as anonymous as we choose to be on here, on Facebook, on Twitter (i believe FB is the only one that supposedly has a 'real name' policy, but obv that can be circumvented). i know a lot about some of y'all on here. and technically we have to pay to be here now, so there's a serious degree of personal investment baked into things for new users that discourages the appearance of anonimity. i can go make 25 different Twitter accounts if i want...Joyrex wouldn't allow that here, even if i wanted to pay for each. that doesn't negate the possibility of anonymous users here, but it sure doesn't encourage it.

59 minutes ago, zero said:

rather than the promotional heavy d-bags on FB and twitter... the fact your real identity isn't disclosed, therefore you aren't trying to promote or sell shit.

i mean...there's a whole tier for WATMM users literally designed for self (or label/etc.) promotion.

1 hour ago, zero said:

just voice your thoughts with no self attachment. no ego, just real shit. shit most people don't like looking at...

haha um. no ego? around here? it's less ego-centric than lots of Insta/FB/Twitter/etc. but still...that's just human nature. it's here (i'm sure guilty of it).

1 hour ago, zero said:

anyway man, there's definitely a difference between posting on something like watmm than that self promotional bullshit like twitter. who the fuck cares on here. like limited people come on this site, and are such a small segment of the rest of the shitheads out there...or what not.

definitely a difference! but i don't think the differences are as stark as they once were.

1 hour ago, zero said:

no one really sees what people are up to. just fucking stay busy for appearances. fake shit everywhere.

the tighter-knit places like forums, corners of interest-specific Twitter/Reddit/etc., are a great counter to that in general, sure, but still tend towards the same often enough. again, all that shit is just human nature. i'm with you on this tho, that's why i tend to stay out of the 'personal' threads on here these days.

the whole concept of sharing/social media is inherently personal is kind of my point of all this blabber tho. there's users here who never get into personal/genban stuff and they could make some arguments saying 'WATMM isn't social media' because they don't use it like that really, it's just a place to share and find music in some niche genres. anyone ITT can't say that tho ?

• Like 2

If social media has taught me anything from the advent of MySpace to today, I've learned that social media is bullshit.

Eternal solitude is preferable to fake friendships.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, auxien said:

i think you're behind the curve on things there, but not wrong. Mastodon got a bit of influx back when Musk said he was buying Twitter earlier in the year and seems to be having a second round right now.

Good to know. I’ll check it out again - I liked the concept behind it a lot.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 3:46 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Twitter is descending pretty quickly into the Yahoo! comments section

Don’t read the comments and use something like Tweetdeck to see tweets in chronological order and also to NOT see what people like, ads, or what’s trending. 

• Like 2

Musk, however, assured Twitter advertisers in a note last week that he would not allow the platform to turn into a “free-for-all hellscape.”

hey what if Elon's plan is actually to turn it into free for all hellscape, which results in the company completely going under. is buying a company to deliberately tank it a thing? I'm not entirely up to snuff on scammy economic principles. maybe he actually wants to end the thing on purpose...an attempt to get rid of social media platforms. yeah, I'm kinda high right now, but am hoping this is actually what happens. but chances are, it's just another ego maniac who thinks he can control the world, and this twitter take over is really going to cause something worse to happen to all of humanity.

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

there's definitely been some slowdown and one day it simply wouldn't load....i'm just on the basic mastodon.social server which is the most popular, over 500,000 according to that article. growing pains are okay, i'm seeing plenty of cool math and science folk showing up which is great. still looking for more music folks tho....would love to be able to keep up with Bandcamp labels and similar stuff there but that's not likely going to be common for some time. the more of us there, the more enticing it looks tho so, yknow, everyone maybe sign up on Mastodon and quit going to Twitter....watching it crash and burn would be pretty hilarious (if unlikely)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

there's definitely been some slowdown and one day it simply wouldn't load....i'm just on the basic mastodon.social server which is the most popular, over 500,000 according to that article. growing pains are okay, i'm seeing plenty of cool math and science folk showing up which is great. still looking for more music folks tho....would love to be able to keep up with Bandcamp labels and similar stuff there but that's not likely going to be common for some time. the more of us there, the more enticing it looks tho so, yknow, everyone maybe sign up on Mastodon and quit going to Twitter....watching it crash and burn would be pretty hilarious (if unlikely)

I've been digging around a little - I guess you have to discover instances to get the kind of material you want?

Also looks like you could host your own, but then that would be too much like work...lol

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/user/run-your-own/