my favorite parts are too short :(

those parts being 3:18 on mutant standard when those dreamy synths kick in <3 omg i gasmed during that part

I feel this way, too. Several times on the album it gets to a point where I'm really starting to get into the music, and then it just stops. I get that this is his thing, but can't you hold out bit longer? Like 1:50 in Mutant Standard, or 2:46 in Freaky Eyes. I'm literally almost in tears at those parts, but then it gets cut off.

yep agreed entirely!

interesting to see the variance too; i'd pick entirely different parts as my favorite bits. guess that's what happens when you've got such diverse sounds within a single song

Edited by xf

It's amazing how cohesive G.O.D is despite the fragments it is made up of. It's definitely taken the idea from R+7 and stretched it further.

OPN is truly unique and undoubtedly skilled. If you don't like him you must surely find him impressive if nothing else.

I'm only on my 2nd listen but I think this is a kind of masterpiece. Incredible.

The last half of the album = holy shit.

And the first half of the album = oh my G.O.D.

In fact I'm getting really emotional about this album right about now. Giving it another spin round straight after the first. I'm in a coffee shop trying to read but it's so hard to pay attention to anything but this. I want to stand up and be like, AYO! Everybody, OPN is god (G.O.D)! GET ON THIS SHIT!

I feel sorry for anybody who can't get behind one of the best musicians alive right now.

Edited by QQQ

booo alco. you can totally make something original by referencing other things. in fact, many great things do this. pulp fiction, hip hop, basically every internet meme.

it sort of gets to a point where you're just deciding to be grouchy, and tbh i think the only person that loses in this scenario is you. none of us are going to be like "yknow he's right! i hate OPN" because we seem to be getting something totally different out of it all. also I haven't heard this album yet, but judging by people's reactions and the track i bight through it, it's a very original sound. seriously you can link to gary larson and say this that and the other but in all honesty it just seems like you've given replica maybe half a listen, and even then i don't see how you can call it unoriginal.

why are you putting so much energy into "debunking" his music? it sort of comes off as insecure or something.

to me it just comes off as him being unfiltered and just posting whatever the hell he feels about the album on a message board.

it was your response that actually came off as insecure because of how much his not overwhelmingly favorable opinion of it effected you, think about that

nah, don't buy it. i'm simply calling him out. even if i am insecure about it my point stands.

tbh I was kind of just parodying myself and playing into the Alco role in an opn thread. I have not heard this album and will wait until it comes out and I can borrow it from work.

i didn't have this pre-ordered (i gave up on pre-ordering anything a while ago), but pre-ordered it the other night. leak probably not all bad news for the numbers

booo alco. you can totally make something original by referencing other things. in fact, many great things do this. pulp fiction, hip hop, basically every internet meme.

it sort of gets to a point where you're just deciding to be grouchy, and tbh i think the only person that loses in this scenario is you. none of us are going to be like "yknow he's right! i hate OPN" because we seem to be getting something totally different out of it all. also I haven't heard this album yet, but judging by people's reactions and the track i bight through it, it's a very original sound. seriously you can link to gary larson and say this that and the other but in all honesty it just seems like you've given replica maybe half a listen, and even then i don't see how you can call it unoriginal.

why are you putting so much energy into "debunking" his music? it sort of comes off as insecure or something.

to me it just comes off as him being unfiltered and just posting whatever the hell he feels about the album on a message board.

it was your response that actually came off as insecure because of how much his not overwhelmingly favorable opinion of it effected you, think about that

nah, don't buy it. i'm simply calling him out. even if i am insecure about it my point stands.

tbh I was kind of just parodying myself and playing into the Alco role in an opn thread. I have not heard this album and will wait until it comes out and I can borrow it from work.

2alco4every1

2alco4every1

oh shit

Can't stand the looping sample-style that characterises parts of Ezra. The style he introduced on Replica. The high-pitched vocal samples are still flimsy sounding, and the music, as on R Plus Seven, is so utterly concise that it doesn't take long to wear thin. But it's novel stuff. The flimsiness of the samples still mars the experience for me. Sure, parts of it are real lush.. I wish there were more tracks in the vein of "Mutant Standard"

Coolest bits on this album are the pitched up (or, fucked with at least) vocals. Kind of reminds me of PC Music.

But the style is so overused.. It recalls Holly Herndon's recent full-length album, the abundance of those high-pitched vocals. It's so cluttered and insubstantial-sounding. My favorite elements are the more densely-layered bits, pummeling tracks like "Mutant Standard," and the parts where the prettier elements become more muddled and dissonant. "Child of Rage" is a successful track, though

Edited by barbara planar

Coolest bits on this album are the pitched up (or, fucked with at least) vocals. Kind of reminds me of PC Music.

But the style is so overused.. It recalls Holly Herndon's recent full-length album, the abundance of those high-pitched vocals. It's so cluttered and insubstantial-sounding. My favorite elements are the more densely-layered bits, pummeling tracks like "Mutant Standard," and the parts where the prettier elements become more muddled and dissonant. "Child of Rage" is a successful track, though

I mean, they're overdone in like, one tiny corner of the market which is mainly just PC Music. I was unaware of Holly Herndon, but after listening to it I can see the connection. However her vocals sound very organic and almost remind me more of Django Django's Default than the post-nightcore vocals of G.O.D. and PC Music. I'm pretty sure most of the vocals on G.O.D. are actually vocaloids. I don't think the style in the way Oneohtrix did it in this album is overused.

The middle section of Freaky Eyes is delish. Anyone know what the sampled song is? 2:51

I don't know what else to listen to other than G.O.D right now. I think Oneohtrix has broken me. Amazing.

Edited by QQQ

Mutant Standard is so intense it's hard for me to properly enjoy Child of Rage because I really feel exhausted after that track (but in a good way).

5:13 is an instant eargasm :music:

there was maybe one short moment on the album where i thought I heard vocaloid but for the most part it's all fairly traditional electronic processing and even bits of classic speech synthesis. He's playing around a lot with doubling things, so he'll be using a speech synth on one track with a talk-box layer of synth underneath of it singing the same lyrics. I think thats part of what makes the album interesting, even when he is using an obvious say karplus string physical modeling synth sound, he's cutting it in and switching back and forth between what sounds like some other guitar like distorted synth lead or an actual real guitar sample.

I'm pretty sure most of the vocals on G.O.D. are actually vocaloids.

i'll have to re-listen to this one, might have been the only track that used it but I didn't hear anything too tell-tale. If he did use vocaloid he used it in a fairly basic way without bending it too much (but then again Soisong used a lot of vocaloid but didn't bend it too much either yet the project was heavily praised for its use of vocaloid).

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Album of the year for me. Hope he tours this in DC!

Yeah, I'm not sure it will be THE best album for me but it's definitely in my Top 5!

Who else put out the heat this year? Most everything I was pumped about has fallen flat!