After two listens, I'm pretty well enamored with this album. The combination of the cheesy instrument-emulating synths and the aggressive sample sequencing sort of reminds me of the newer Skinny Puppy and ohGr stuff (newer as in this side of the century). I haven't heard that aesthetic used much elsewhere.

I'm surprised Bleep/Warp haven't digitally released this yet; this is an excellent release but I'm finding repeated listens is creating some definite fatigue (similar to R+7, unlike some of OPN's earlier albums which I could almost listen to on repeat indefinitely). Certainly will go back to it but it'll probably be well and truly out of something I'll listen to daily by the time it's officially out (and given the potential mastering differences pointed out a few pages back - shame).

edit: surprised because I'm sure they've released stuff early when things have been leaked before, haven't they?

Edited by xf

excellent album that needs to be played fully, it is indeed his most accessible and i have no problems with putting it on repeat either, i like everything!!

wasn't expecting it to be this good :)

I'm surprised Bleep/Warp haven't digitally released this yet; this is an excellent release but I'm finding repeated listens is creating some definite fatigue (similar to R+7, unlike some of OPN's earlier albums which I could almost listen to on repeat indefinitely). Certainly will go back to it but it'll probably be well and truly out of something I'll listen to daily by the time it's officially out (and given the potential mastering differences pointed out a few pages back - shame).

edit: surprised because I'm sure they've released stuff early when things have been leaked before, haven't they?

Yeah they did it with Exai, and I'm surprised they did not released the digital files of GOD as well...

makes sense to do it; most fans _are_ going to download and listen to a legit leak if it exists plus they're squandering sales opportunities by delaying it until the 'official' launch date if the album is already out there...

I like the way that shaky synth lead's used in Ezra, as if he's started to reference (sorry, "recontextualize") his own Rifts-era work the same as he would any other.

excellent album that needs to be played fully, it is indeed his most accessible and i have no problems with putting it on repeat either, i like everything!!

wasn't expecting it to be this good :)

Yeah all the goth and dark synthpoppy elements shouldn't be up my alley but ends up being good fun, and nailing that melancholic euphoria (or vice versa) once again that a lot of his more recent stuff has.

If you slightly edited something like Sticky Drama down to a pop single I could even see it being a hit. Makes the general high brow atmosphere surrounding 0PN all the weirder to me though. Not to mention the comparisons to the 'chre and 'phex. I've come around to being glad we have the Alcos and John E's of this world to offset that silliness.

After two listens, I'm pretty well enamored with this album. The combination of the cheesy instrument-emulating synths and the aggressive sample sequencing sort of reminds me of the newer Skinny Puppy and ohGr stuff (newer as in this side of the century). I haven't heard that aesthetic used much elsewhere.

do you know any other releases with a similar sound? I'm just utterly speechless at how much I love this, love every bit of it, not a single track that I dislike after first listen, unlike Syro, TH other releases by 0pn... this is amazing Edited by MIXL2

I bite through it > freaky eyes > lift > no good

Best 4-track sequence ever?

Doesn't that mean each track is worse than the one before it? Wouldn't that make it a shitty 4-track sequence?

Doesn't that mean each track is worse than the one before it? Wouldn't that make it a shitty 4-track sequence?
Naw I just mean the sequence in that order. All 4 tracks are equally strong and the 4 best tracks on the album imo.

Well, to me the problem is that I Bite Through It > Freaky Eyes is such a PERFECT combo that Lift > No Good just leave me kind of unimpressed (or at least, I can't really sink in those tracks).

I have the same problem with Mutant Standard and Child of Rage...Mutant Standard is such a BEAST that I feel like I can't properly enjoy Child of Rage, which is a shame !

do you know any other releases with a similar sound? I'm just utterly speechless at how much I love this, love every bit of it, not a single track that I dislike after first listen, unlike Syro, TH other releases by 0pn... this is amazing

There's not much that sounds like it as a whole. There are various albums that contain sounds and ideas that remind me of OPN's work here, but all contain far more differences than similarities. This album's pretty original.

do you know any other releases with a similar sound? I'm just utterly speechless at how much I love this, love every bit of it, not a single track that I dislike after first listen, unlike Syro, TH other releases by 0pn... this is amazing

There's not much that sounds like it as a whole. There are various albums that contain sounds and ideas that remind me of OPN's work here, but all contain far more differences than similarities. This album's pretty original.

yeah, I have never heard anything like this as a whole.

edit: this is insane, I just noticed mutant standard's runtime is 8:08, feels like three minutes at most to me

Edited by MIXL2

easily his most unique work, he's finally (i think) moved on from being someone doing really great retro sounding electronic music to something his own. Replica had hints of that, R+7 was a step back but this new one really solidifies that uniqueness for me. Not to say his earlier work was just strictly emulating older styles, but it was heavily indebted to an older sound.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest bitroast

I will kindly but strongly disagree that r+7 was step back. Album blew my brain and was giant leap forward for parametres of musical possibilities.

I will kindly but strongly disagree that r+7 was step back. Album blew my brain and was giant leap forward for parametres of musical possibilities.

agreed, it still blows my mind, not in as many levels as this though