its interesting to see an interview like that because sometimes i pretend 'what if that was me' and realize how retarded i would feel if an interviewer started to ask me high level educated sounding questions like this, i would probably just try to steer the conversation to more generalities. Do you ever get sorta weirded out reading interviews like this and wonder if the interviewer is almost 'testing' their level of knowledge about things, sometimes it feels like a hipster pissing contest but maybe thats just my own insecurities

Similarly, the denseness of the first half of GOD is sort of Finnegans Wake-ish: cacophonous, overwhelming, but somehow leaves enough room for someone to make whatever they want of it.

DL: I would hope so. I’d like that. It’s definitely a little bit like, ‘this is my trip and you’re on it’ – but it’s conflicted.

Where does Garden Of Delete, as a title, come from? In my head it’s like the process of sampling and sound archiving – taking pieces from something, out of context, which are kind of amorphous on their own and don’t necessarily "mean" that much, but put together you get a bloom of something much more. Something bigger.

DL: Yeah. I think that’s an eloquent way of putting it. That’s definitely part of it: a reference to the process. But it’s also about how a garden is seen as a productive place – a place with which we generally associate good feelings – and deletion is perceived as a more negative environment. And so, in dealing with all these kind of personal traumas and negative thoughts, I was realising that those are productive, too: those are actually harvesting good things. It was a sort of reminder, a kind of Taoist message to myself, that this was a good thing that I was doing for myself. It shouldn’t be painful.

I’ve seen you use the phrase ‘non-musician making music’ to describe yourself before. In terms of the more standard labels of creating, where do you position yourself? I was listening to R Plus Seven and it reminded me more of something like Joe Hisaishi’s scores for all those Studio Ghibli films than more obvious contemporary electronic music.

DL: Yeah, well, I do struggle. I’ll listen to Ligeti’s Études with complete fascination, and if you’re someone who understands music theory you can probably listen to his music and hear why and how certain techniques were pioneered.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

its interesting to see an interview like that because sometimes i pretend 'what if that was me' and realize how retarded i would feel if an interviewer started to ask me high level educated sounding questions like this, i would probably just try to steer the conversation to more generalities. Do you ever get sorta weirded out reading interviews like this and wonder if the interviewer is almost 'testing' their level of knowledge about things, sometimes it feels like a hipster pissing contest but maybe thats just my own insecurities

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone knows some things, noone knows everything. A good interviewer should research and tune in to what his interviewee is interested in and ask about those things, not forcefully bring in his own baggage or opinions on what someone should know or not know. Maybe the interviewer just brought up that book because he felt that way, I don't see how it is relevant to OPN or his music it's not something he's claiming to know about or whatever

It's cool but I prefer Lauren Bousfield

I like the comparison, but I think they are both so different, and so creative, its not worth saying who's better.

People who like this album should definitely check out Lauren Bousfield/Neros Day At Disneyland

nero's day at disneyland is one of those bands and I can't quite explain this 'effect' but i think probably other musicians have experienced this, but a lot of the time when I'm really jamming out with a song it somehow will start soudning like Nero's Day at Disneyland and I have to stop and reel it back. Its not because Im not a fan of his music, I think its decent, but its just because its like a 'oh no how is this sounding like nero's day at disneyland again' kind of a feeling. It used to happen to me with older AE stuff like chichlisuite, sometimes other musicians too. Anytime i try to fuck with classical or bombastic symphonic type of sounds in a song this nero effect is inevitable, its almost like a blackhole waiting to suck me in

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Bousfield is in a league of their own. Not sure I quite heard NDAD comparison in GoD but might give it another spin (trying to wait patiently for physical release so I don't burn out on it).

There was a couple synthesized vocals, sounds and key arpeggios in the track I posted that reminded me, but again there are far more differences than similarities. I'm not familiar with NDAD's work at all.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I´m very curious how he mixed or pre- mastered this record , although a lot of sounds are going on it somehow sounds light with lots of space between the "sounds".

dont know else how to describe

5 minutes in on mutant standard is just... so much energy, I have never felt so much power off music, ever.

This exactly. Wonderful piece of music, makes me go spastic everytime.

It's cool but I prefer Lauren Bousfield

I like the comparison, but I think they are both so different, and so creative, its not worth saying who's better.

People who like this album should definitely check out Lauren Bousfield/Neros Day At Disneyland

I know brah, I was just baiting. But this album does remind me of it, there's a proximity.

(to both projects, nero and lauren that is)

There was a couple synthesized vocals, sounds and key arpeggios in the track I posted that reminded me, but again there are far more differences than similarities. I'm not familiar with NDAD's work at all.

Listen to Avalon Vales. It's not the same thing obviously, but you'll get the reference.

Edited by Allize