IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

By the way, slightly OT, but based on all the other soundboards and live bootlegs I've heard, as well as their AAA comments on live material, my guess is that this store will not be a venue for older live recordings - I think this is probably the first time they've felt comfortable enough with the soundboards they have collected to release them with some small amount of retouching/remastering. I'm guessing the store will be for a combination of merch, future soundboards of future tours, and exclusive / nonexclusive studio releases. Read Sean's comments in question 1 of AAA - this release is consistent with a desire to release high quality soundboards that are planned out in advance, which they pretty clearly did, not so much with a desire to revisit past, perhaps patchier (at least to their ears) recordings. But I know this is well-covered territory.

[edit: question 2 not question 1 - and I like his reference to "milking it for all its worth"]

It seems they put quite a bit of thought into the logistics of releasing old soundboards though and that it's the amount of work required, and settling on an approach, that's daunting. They've broken the seal now though and posterity demands it - or at least they'll be hassled about it more

I saw æ live twice a while ago, and loved what I heard... but never really got into any of their studio work. Which one of those live set would you guys recommend?

You can buy them all for £8, just get them all.

you can sample each set by pulling the cursor to any point on the stream, indefinitely. i could only purchase one at first, and I figured Dublin offers the most (73 minutes), and it's also the most recent - so you figure they may have honed the set, somewhat, by December.. the finale is fantastic, and the mid-section (BLOC bit + power drone) hits real hard. ultimately, each set has its own attributes.

by finale i mean the final 11 minutes of the Dublin recording... it's the best. otherwise the sets are all fairly similar. somebody remarked earlier that Utrecht is great because it's lean, it contains the fully-developed 'guitar'/chimes part in the latter third (as well as an insanely packed finale), and the first half of it is more concise than that of the Dublin night (imo)

the farting bass (BLOC bit) beat of Utrecht is shorter, not so fleshed out (wrung out) as the Dublin version.

I don't know whether mentioned in this thread already but it just occurred to me how significant this is coming from a band who pays so much attention to detail and has taken entire years to finish albums. Interpret that how you may, but it is definitely significant.

maybe a big DUH.

I do think these recordings are very high quality both fidelity-wise and conceptually although for obvious reasons the pacing is a lot more organic where in the past albums/EPs/singles have tended to be more "cinematic" to me. They still have great audio showmanship though. There's really nothing missing, they just have a much different flow and energy.

you can sample each set by pulling the cursor to any point on the stream, indefinitely. i could only purchase one at first, and I figured Dublin offers the most (73 minutes), and it's also the most recent - so you figure they may have honed the set, somewhat, by December.. the finale is fantastic, and the mid-section (BLOC bit + power drone) hits real hard. ultimately, each set has its own attributes.

by finale i mean the final 11 minutes of the Dublin recording... it's the best. otherwise the sets are all fairly similar. somebody remarked earlier that Utrecht is great because it's lean, it contains the fully-developed 'guitar'/chimes part in the latter third (as well as an insanely packed finale), and the first half of it is more concise than that of the Dublin night (imo)

the farting bass (BLOC bit) beat of Utrecht is shorter, not so fleshed out (wrung out) as the Dublin version.

Thank you so much, exactly the kind of comments/advices I was looking for! I'd have instinctively gone for the most recent one, but I didn't know how much the sets differ from each other. Thanks again!

sry Im still an autechre noob

Been listening to them for a long time now Stephen, and quite intently. I'd also say I'm a autechre noob novice compared to some of the fans on watmm :dry:

i consider virtually everyone an AE noob who didn't have a ripped or original copy of the Draft 7.30 cassette promo, i could go back even before that but currently thats the most accurate litmus test. Once BOC and Prefuse 73 got all the plebs to start hyping up IDM everyone who got on the AE bus after is by definition a noob

edit: i mean lets face it, if you got into IDM after the year 2000 you're either a noob in the symbolic sense but if you born in the 1990s you are a noob in the literal sense. either way you slice it same conclusion

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Thank you so much, exactly the kind of comments/advices I was looking for! I'd have instinctively gone for the most recent one, but I didn't know how much the sets differ from each other. Thanks again!

I strongly recommend listening to all of them though, they really complement each other and it feels like each is a snapshot of some bigger "thing" from different angles.

Edited by Joseph

What if I say I first discovered Ae via the Second Bad Vilbel video featured on MTV AMP? Am I a n00b, or a hipster?

Actually I don't care.

Also lol

MTV is n00b, obviously. It's just not a place to look for good music. What the hell were you doing there?

Only if you really care though. And I know you do.

Also, lol

What if I say I first discovered Ae via the Second Bad Vilbel video featured on MTV AMP? Am I a n00b, or a hipster?

Actually I don't care.

Also lol

MTV is n00b, obviously. It's just not a place to look for good music. What the hell were you doing there?

Only if you really care though. And I know you do.

Also, lol

I should probably specify that this was back in the spring of 1997, and MTV AMP featured plenty of good music, but typically the program didn't start until 1 AM on weekends. This was still a few years before MTV defiled its original purpose as an actual music TV program. So yeah, it wasn't always bad.

But I reckon that didn't don on you before goDel, did it?

No excuses. Still no good place to look for new good music. Yes I know those late night shows. And yes, I was well aware of the AMP in your previous post.

Good to see you actually care though.

They've broken the seal now though and posterity demands it - or at least they'll be hassled about it more

if they have any decent quality recordings of the Oversteps and Quaristice tour recordings hanging around out there I'd be very surprised if they never saw the light of day. It might be a really long time but never say never.