IGNORED

AE_LIVE

homecharlie

what if u were listening to ae nonstop as a 14 yr old.... rounding out my decade of ae love before i'm 25... suck on those ae bona fides ehrlichman

Edited by dr lopez

can we turn this into a pissing match? Finally got to the Krakow set... a welcome aggressiveness/edge going on in the first half, something that's lacking on the other nights (compensated for with elegance and clarity). heavy until the wet, farty bass track at 34 minutes in.. there it sort of lacks the impact, or meatiness, of the other sets.

Haha I remember a friend pointing out that farty bass part a year ago when I first got ahold of this set. It is so farty and nonsensical. I also agree that Krakow has a nice agressiveness from the get-go. In addition, Krakow may have my favorite ending of the four, but I'm not sure.

Still wrapping my head around the four sets in general. Ae's music has always sounded different to me on repeated listens - now it's an extra puzzle to sort out just how different these sets really are from each other given the sheer amount of music to contend with. Pretty fascinating project.

I finished listening to all four sets last night. Overall it was exactly what I wanted after going to see them live late last September. On each one they have the same set pattern sequence, yet they change it up each time with different nuances.

And that "farty bass" part you guys mentioned...we must be referring to the same thing when I mention the "pseudo-dubstep" part. Seemed like it was strongest in the Dublin set, but I'd have to listen to them all again in case there's something I missed the first time.

I've always been into the studio stuff but never really heard any of the live sets, so admittedly AE in a live context is a bit new.

I've only listened to Utrecht and currently listening Brussels so far I might have to say I'm enjoying Brussels set a bit more, but that maybe only because I'm more awake now than I was when giving the Utrecht set a listen. Brussels seems more dynamic and punchier though upon first listen.... These are all gonna take multiple listens to catch the subtle differences though.

Brussels is certainly good if not the best of the bunch (still need to listen to utrecht)

I don't think the 'farty bass' thing makes the sets worse, I could guess it is a more humorous bit (yeah they have that)

Also it is nice in a rhythmic sense

Edited by amad

Yeah I would say almost everything they release divides fans to some degree, but I haven't seen a word of negativity regarding these.

Some of the live shows have had polarisation, at least from folks attending them. This review came out from Manchester last week:

12186339_10153186994621272_5277123283303

I get the criticisms but I don't really sympathise (Also "Vlettrmix" PFFFF). Just isn't for everyone.

Anyway excuse me whilst I listen to the live Krakow set for the three millionth time so I can cry forever (or at least until London show)

I think I can sympathise.

If an Ae gig is kind of a rare event, I can imagine an hour is a bit short. Even though it's completely new stuff. Why not f#ck around for another hour, but redoing the old classics with their current set up? Which is a ridiculous thing to say, i know. But most people would only need a couple of hints of old melodies and old rhythms to recognise the reference, i think. A good example is cygnus using some eggshell bit in his set. Or the gantz graf f-ckery.

I'd assume it would be a nice experiment to try and reproduce some of those tunes with their current set up. To have those tunes constructed and deconstructed at the same time.

If you've been keeping up with Autechre's work you can hear all kinds of elements of their recent releases in these sets - textures, rhythms, techniques, specific sounds. It's just not their style to blatantly regurgitate old melodies verbatim. Can you imagine how cheesy that would be?

I found the material pretty dense, making an hour appropriate. Even listening to the live sets, by the end of the hour or so I need a break.

Not that I was getting ear fatigue, more like brain fatigue.

it could be done in a cheesy way. but it could also be done in a non-cheese way. why not? and i wasn't talking or thinking about "blatantly regurgitate old melodies verbatim" either. i'm not here to win arguments, or anything. just saying i could sympathise with the reviewer.

I found the material pretty dense, making an hour appropriate. Even listening to the live sets, by the end of the hour or so I need a break.

I stroke my fine beard and nod to this sentiment.

If you've been keeping up with Autechre's work you can hear all kinds of elements of their recent releases in these sets - textures, rhythms, techniques, specific sounds.

Very much Keyosc. Which is great 'cause that's one of the best tracks they've ever done (imo)

it could be done in a cheesy way. but it could also be done in a non-cheese way. why not? and i wasn't talking or thinking about "blatantly regurgitate old melodies verbatim" either. i'm not here to win arguments, or anything. just saying i could sympathise with the reviewer.

As far as a non-cheese way, I think they could get to a point (I think they are already there) where, by virtue of the algorithmic/parametric nature of their tools, they could extrapolate more complex melodies from a common melodic data source, i.e. changing arpeggiator settings given the same input notes. I think they already do this.

But as far as sympathising with the reviewer, by wishing they would do something more familiar I think they are kind of missing the whole point of Autechre.

Totally agree. I was feeling this hard by the 3rd night, lol.

I was at the Orlando show. IMO only: I felt like the bass was too loud so I found myself wishing I brought ear plugs. The opening acts played too long, so I was real tired by the time Autechre played. (I'm an old man, though, at 35, and I don't sleep in 'til noon). 3 hours of electronic music before an hour of Autechre is overkill and mostly boring. I have enjoyed listening to the live sets more than I enjoyed being at the concert.

Autechre is light years in the future, so to some extent, the things around them need to catch up. I feel like they should play venues with seats, like theaters or concert halls. Why were we still staring at the stage? I feel like the crowd behaviors were outdated, especially in those people who felt like they were supposed to dance. Also, morning Autechre concerts might be fun. New venues for new "music."

I feel like they should play venues with seats, like theaters or concert halls. Why were we still staring at the stage? I feel like the crowd behaviors were outdated, especially in those people who felt like they were supposed to dance. Also, morning Autechre concerts might be fun. New venues for new "music."

Good points! I think they could easily pull off doing music in a more performance / concept art environment.

I was going to say that in comparison to concert halls and theaters club is an ultra new environment, but, seeing pics from Manchester thread, i would say go seated rooms with white walls, if only for grandpa Sean's sake, man deserved a break. Build an Ae chapel.

It would be a shame if dancing wasn't an option, best scenario would be a venue that had balcony seats or something to that effect where people could sit and chill.

Personally I find it hard not to dance at least a bit.

But I guess it would be an interesting experience to see them in a theatre environment with plush chairs, ornamented walls etc.

Just as long as they don't abandon the "old fashioned" dance friendly venues completely.