IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Love Streams

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An early album leak is just a riff on the ubiquity and nihilism of streaming of all forms of life.

I guess that's what happens in this post-Yeezus, pre-Waves avant-aesthetics of this artificial intelligence-era age.

i used to be so into this guy but after a while it all started to sound a bit samey, hoping this'll mix things up a bit

you know when you throw a mogwai track into a dsp mangler set to 'mild'? Well that will be every track on the new Tim Hecker album.

Thing is he really didn't start like that - Haunt Me Haunt Me .... was full of great field recording moments, followed by the My Love Is Rotten To The Core EP with a great narrative of Van Halen's career, then the beautiful ambience of Radio Amor, then from Mirages onwards (which don't get me wrong I do like!) it seems like he'd ran everything though the same plugin chain. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

So much hate in here. I really like his stuff, so my ears are all lubed up and ready to go.

I was here yesterday before the thread got any replies and i was reading that shit and was feeling tired as fuck like fuck dat shit i'm not gonna diss the nigga. Today i'm here and WATMM fucking smashed the fuck of that shit, feels like bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7fRsvWowA

So much hate in here.

I don't think it's really hate, more a 'Would be nice for him to try something other than slightly-overdriven-granular-pad-shuffles for a change'

For those who actually like him AND have heard this, what are your thoughts? This might be the first Tim Hecker album where I'm immediately meh. Perhaps its too soon to say. The jazz flutes and choir seems like an unwarranted distraction. Sigh.

Are you all really talking about Tim Hecker ? the guy who made "an imaginery Country" , Ravedeath 1972 and Virgins . 3 incredible diverse records made with different concepts played on real instruments etc....

Its like saying Boards of Canada are boring and shit because they always use analog gear and mellow sounds

watmm is pitchfork style now

For those who actually like him AND have heard this, what are your thoughts? This might be the first Tim Hecker album where I'm immediately meh. Perhaps its too soon to say. The jazz flutes and choir seems like an unwarranted distraction. Sigh.

yeah I am feeling a bit like that. It's not entirely new ground for him, a lot of places actually sound a lot like Harmony in Ultraviolet. The really clear sounding instruments sort of detract from the usual dreamlike vibes I get from his work (Ravedeath always makes me think of wandering some ruined city). But I imagine making you feel like you're in some neon orchestra hall is sort of the point. I have to say I do love the use of the choir, at least. Need to give it a few more listens I guess, seems like a grower.

Yeah, I've never heard anything of his other than Virgins, so I'm ignorant of his career in general...why the fuck y'all hating on him so hard? I don't even kind of understand this. Explain, please.

sent using magic space waves

Archived