IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Love Streams

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Really loved Hecker a while back, same with Frost, Hecker peaked with Harmony and Frost with Throat....kind got bored after that...

still curious about this one

who leaks this stuff? why would they do that?

who leaks this stuff? why would they do that?

It's a strange phenomenon alright. From what little I understand labels will distribute promo copies for review by magazines, sites, etc. (dunno how this is done anymore, could still be CD or gone completely digital AFAIK), and as we noticed in the theory of conspiracies thread (before it became the deliciously lockable conspiracy theory thread), it only takes one goober being lax on the whole do-not-share/copy thing, and suddenly his vapo/sea/cyberpunk roommate has it ripped and propagating thru a series of tubes. I reckon they do it for the haxxor cred but have a hard time relating esp. when it involves doing a disservice to an artist you like.

I'm surprised that audible watermarking never caught on - the subtle type, not the beep every 30 seconds or the "You're listening to..." voiceover - seems like the most forensically straightforward way get to the source of leakage. I vaguely recall Autechre claiming it to be on promo copies of one of their albums (oversteps maybe?), but also think it might've just been an empty bluff to discourage leakers.

at least have a bunch of different water marks or digital artifacts viewable in spectrogram unique to each copy leaked, perhaps an inaudible frequency - see a leaked copy and BOOM load up dat excel and find the source. they dont get promos no mo'

i guess thats a lot of work to do... perhaps if there was a mastering app/plugin... HMM I SMELL A BUSINESS IDEA

at least have a bunch of different water marks or digital artifacts viewable in spectrogram unique to each copy leaked, perhaps an inaudible frequency - see a leaked copy and BOOM load up dat excel and find the source. they dont get promos no mo'

i guess thats a lot of work to do... perhaps if there was a mastering app/plugin... HMM I SMELL A BUSINESS IDEA

Ya but what would be the point if it's already gotten leaked. They'd go to the owner of the promo copy and say "shame on you"?

Well I'd imagine that if you could pin point (with 100% certainty) where the leak had come from you'd sue for damages. I imagine that if enough of said cases were actually successfully prosecuted it'd certainly put the shitters up people not to leak.

it's all about distro and sales same reason Actress and Zomby jumped from Werk and Hyperdub to 4AD, same reason Machinedrum and other Falty DL went to Ninja Tune

but like... it's all red eye distro....

could you elaborate? what does that mean? FYI I used those examples from Mike P's claims about artists who left/artists they tried getting.

Also I love Kranky, it's a solid label, but it seems niche - i.e. fans of ambient are reliable customers - but 4AD is still a major indie with a lot PR behind it. I mean, i can attest to Hecker being known a lot more than his Kranky roster peers because of the amount of tastemaker press behind him and 4AD likely can peddle more vinyl and digital sales than Kranky could. I dunno, these are assumptions and vague observations, I'd love to hear more expert opinions about distro/sales in 2016

Just listened to this for the second time...didn't get it really then, and now I feel even less interested in trying it again. A few tracks are good and interesting and have some emotion, but most of this seems to be just trying shit out to see if it works. And most of the time it doesn't. Wasn't feeling much from it, wasn't hearing much enjoyable, glad I didn't purchase this blindly (deafly? is that a word? lol) just on the strength of his last album.

Bijie Dream was good though.

^ yeah that's mainly the problem I have with him.

He's rabidly adored by so many and yet even the good albums (ie ones that I've enjoyed: virgins and this one) sound like any number of underground electronic avant/noise jam band's stuff. And they will usually toss something like this out every few weeks/months.

With that stuff a lot of the time you'll listen once or twice and then move on and I do exactly the same thing with Hecker's albums.

^ yeah that's mainly the problem I have with him.

He's rabidly adored by so many and yet even the good albums (ie ones that I've enjoyed: virgins and this one) sound like any number of underground electronic avant/noise jam band's stuff. And they will usually toss something like this out every few weeks/months.

With that stuff a lot of the time you'll listen once or twice and then move on and I do exactly the same thing with Hecker's albums.

i've seen him play live and it was note-for-note reproducing the album - not exactly like autechre, who do seem to do different things each night.

• 1 month later...

Are you all really talking about Tim Hecker ? the guy who made "an imaginery Country" , Ravedeath 1972 and Virgins . 3 incredible diverse records made with different concepts played on real instruments etc....

Its like saying Boards of Canada are boring and shit because they always use analog gear and mellow sounds

watmm is pitchfork style now

8.7 bnp

LOL

Edit: thought that title looked familiar http://www.discogs.com/Jefre-Cantu-Ledesma-Love-Is-A-Stream/master/284676

Great album that

Yeah, I'm grateful to Mr Hecker for reminding me this album exists.

I listened to the new one last night.

*grudgingly admits it was ok*

Spi, that album is amazing, just listened to the whole thing on my bike tonight. Sooooooo good

Thanks

Archived