IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

yeah ive been wanting something more advanced than the crappy akai thing ive got for ableton for a while. i use ableton for every aspect of tune making, i dont do live stuff atall. 

i make most of my pads in absynth or operator then process it through my effect modules.

although i did just see a rytm 1 for 670 euros on FB. 

590gbp seems like a great price, were they not 1000 new?

Mk1s were about 1000-1200 new before the Mk2s were announced. Not sure how exactly the Mk2s effected prices of new/used Mk1s, but they're obviously still plenty useful.

Swapping over to Push 2 instead of the Akai whatever you have would likely be a big improvement to your experience though. Particularly if you like to do a lot of jamming and staying away from the computer screen more.

hey guys wanna buy a moog modular? only $35k

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/synthesizer-iiip

Limited edition of 40, so I guess that makes sense.....?  Why not just make a limited edition of 1 for $1.4 million?

Wanna bet there is going to be a second run if turns out to be popular? Or if not the whole thing, maybe just "mass produce" the modules.

Limited edition of 40, so I guess that makes sense.....?  Why not just make a limited edition of 1 for $1.4 million?

Wanna bet there is going to be a second run if turns out to be popular? Or if not the whole thing, maybe just "mass produce" the modules.

Full size modular synths have never been cheap.  To be honest, $35k is probably cheaper than an original was new, once you account for inflation.

There was an Arp 2500 on eBay for $250k last fall.

Hell, when I was in college (late 90s, early2000s) a 2600 usually ran $40k to $50k if it was working and had the standard mods done. 

Yeah saw that early this morning. Modular prices are so crazy that it didn't even surprised me.

Not to mention last time I saw a modular coming from Moog it was the Emerson one sold at 150000$ lol

People forget that stuff like the Roland 500 series was "budget" at the time.

EDIT: I don't forget because I wasn't even alive back then, obvs

You mean 100m? 500 was announced in 2015.

RSP's time traveler cover blown.

That would be a very Residents move.

That would be a very Residents move.

Damn now I regret not seeing them when they were playing here a couple of months ago

So I never noticed this before, but Roland kind of just straight up stole the design aesthetic for the Aira line from the old Yamaha CS-01ii keyboard.  It's not an exact copy or anything but it would be hard to convince me that this is a coincidence:

mi0rxul9zuxthemrp6ra.jpg

yamaha-cs01-mark-ii-1737423.jpg

Yeah, But Those Green lines used to divide the space up - the stroke width is even more or less the same and the shade of green is that icon is that iconic mid 80s Yamaha color. I just think it's funny that the company who made some of the most visually iconic synth of that era did a line that looks so much more like their biggest competitor's stuff than their own.

The similarity of the greens isn't as obvious in photos as in real life. a couple people I know have Aira synths and the green is only slightly more yellow than the color used on, say, the buttons of a dx21 - the photos I chose make it look like a bigger difference than it actually is.

I don't see the similarity between the Air a designs and the Tron poster.

Edited by RSP

It's more obvious in that one.  The poster earlier didn't even have green in it that I could see.

I've only ever seen Tron on VHS a long time ago,if those green lines were in it they didn't survive the transfer.

ACtually, I just did a Google image search and I see a lot more resemblance between the Aira design and the crappy-looking Tron sequel from a few years back than with the original. The Aira stuff looks WAY better than the Tron Legacy art design, which is pretty hideous.

^^agree with Braintree up there. I don't think the Aira copies that Yamaha at all, just a similar design given limited options, it'll happen after 30 years of (modern-ish) synth designs.

I think Aira look would've been much less ugly with a better color choice than green, but I assume that was a marketing decision to be distinct. Nonetheless, the Aira stuff looks about 10x better than that Behringer Neutron so that's something.

Ha

Yeah, I did.  I was talking with my neighbor about the 500 a bunch last week, got them jumbled up.  Not really a big modular person, TBH.

Agreed re: the Neutron, I actually kind of wish it was even uglier, as it is it's too ugly to look good but not ugly enough to look interesting.

Thinking more about the Aira, I'm thinking it's probably more of a callback to their early stuff like the Promars than anything, it's just that the Yamaha up there is the only other synth I can think of that has trim around the edges like that, and it happened to be a really similar color.

Anyhow, all of that's beside the point now because I was looking through photos of Roland keyboards and found this:

roland-e96-boutons-56980.jpg

Edited by RSP

That's a good idea on the Neutron, just make it even uglier until it's intriguing. It just looks poor/lazy now imo.

"Thinking more about the Aira..." well RSP, that's the problem right there. ;)

That Roland has one of those alternate scale keyboards? Didn't realize there were any mainstream synths of those.

My guess is that's a standard Roland arranger that's either marketed toward or has been customized for button accordionists. I think Roland has a MIDI accordion line so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to stick it into a workstation form factor but it's still super weird.

Yeah, I jsut googled the E-96 and it had normal keys, so that's definitely an aftermarket conversion.  Awesome.

Not that I have the money, space or time to spare myself (plus they're all in Eastern Europe so shipping to where I am is more expensive than the accordions themselves), but an industrious person could combine parts from a broken button accordion like this with a relatively inexpensive MIDI retrofit like this and have a pretty interesting controller.

Edited by RSP