IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

You’d think Warp would be announcing an all bells and whistles deluxe reissue with hella bonuses for one of their best releases on such an anniversary. 

• Like 3

from the aphex store, a comment from RDJ on #19/Stone in Focus: "Thinking about this now I'd love to try and get Warp to do high quality chrome cassette versions of all my Warp musics, maybe even metal ones if possible. If I wait a year or so for this I could include all the extras on the cassettes as there would be plenty of room, would have to sign the tracks over to Warp first for a physical release, something I don't have to do for this website but that shouldn't be too difficult."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

i think the tweet might be the full extent of their 30th anniversary celebration for this album. 

Edited by colunga
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, colunga said:

i think the tweet might be the full extent of their 30th anniversary celebration for this album. 

I disagree. This celebration is incomplete, as Warp did not post a boring link to stream the album on Spotify yet !

• Haha 8

On 3/7/2024 at 2:43 PM, hayhook said:

from the aphex store, a comment from RDJ on #19/Stone in Focus: "Thinking about this now I'd love to try and get Warp to do high quality chrome cassette versions of all my Warp musics, maybe even metal ones if possible. If I wait a year or so for this I could include all the extras on the cassettes as there would be plenty of room, would have to sign the tracks over to Warp first for a physical release, something I don't have to do for this website but that shouldn't be too difficult."

How long is this metal tape story now going on and nothing is released yet? 5 years? 6? He seams to bypass it by putting out these small „unofficial“ vinyl editions he gives out on festivals but that also explains their under-the-counter release format where they never appear in a regular distribution format 

Edited by o00o

• 2 weeks later...

I think he kind of answers this by mentioning having to sign over the rights for the physical release.

Increasingly, artists these days want full autonomy over their creations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uros said:

Didgeridoo expanded edition 2x12"?

Also found on decks.de, with expanded commentary on the CR7e versions.

Reissue

“It’s just too easy to make a standard dance track,” Aphex Twin said of his mindset back in 1992. “You’ve got to put a bit of thought into it to get something a bit different.”

‘Didgeridoo’ was released on the Belgian R&S Records label in 1992, and originally peaked at #55 in the UK singles chart in May of that year. Over the last 32 years the track has become one of the essential Aphex Twin tracks in a gargantuan catalogue that continues to amaze and inspire.

“I wanted to have some tracks to play to finish the raves I used to play in Cornwall, to really kill everybody off so they couldn’t dance,” Richard D James, AKA Aphex, told Select magazine back in the 90s. “Digeridoo came out of that.”

Released as a 4 track EP that also included early Aphex productions (now classics) including the industrial, acidic clang of ‘Flap Head’ and hyperbolic futurism of ‘Isopropanol’, the release cemented a relationship with the R&S label that went on to release the ‘Xylem Tube’ EP and the pivotal album ‘Selected Ambient Works 85-92’ in the same year. The label’s owner & A&R Renaat Vandepapeliere reflected “When I first heard Aphex Twin’s music I said, ‘This is it!’, and everybody else said, ‘You’re crazy!’ …a lot of the hardcore R&S fans dropped us. To them it wasn’t music.”

‘Didgeridoo’ (Expanded Edition) is the first time the EP has been re-issued with extra material. Whilst digging in his DAT archive (allegedly stored in an airtight military ammo box), Richard James revisited the recordings, encoding them through a Nakamichi CR7e cassette deck, using the customised deck with vari-speed to encode at speeds “felt right at the time”. Alongside these CR7e versions, the original mixes have been remastered by Beau Thomas at Ten Eight Seven Mastering, offering a dilated insight into one of electronic music’s most endearing releases.

Also on mygeneration.be, so seems legit - and a Reddit thread. CR7e also mentioned on Lanner Chronicle, could it be possible that more archived material is forthcoming?

I'm a bit giddy with anticipation, I wish Xylem Tube would get a similar reissue w/ extra tracks.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shit I was hoping he might do something new not on Warp when Renaat posted the picture of him and rich in Waffleland 

Seems like an absolute milker this one but I'll kiss their teet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattthegoone said:

Shit I was hoping he might do something new not on Warp when Renaat posted the picture of him and rich in Waffleland 

Link?

Posted (edited)

cool. will buy. i expect xylem tube to get a similar treatment. he mentioned in various interviews he remade polynomial-c. it's in a couple of livesets as well. hopefully that'll be on the expanded xylem tube ep

😄

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, scumtron said:

Link?

Link what? Renaat posted a photo of him and rich after the gig in Dour and said somethings in the pipeline

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Mu said in the videocassette that Warp are planning on repressing the old AphexRephlex records, that would be magic because I can't find my Tussrrcords or Analord4, Tuss with the bonus tracks would be delightful, as would Analord with the boni

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mattthegoone said:

Michael Mu said in the videocassette that Warp are planning on repressing the old AphexRephlex records, that would be magic because I can't find my Tussrrcords or Analord4, Tuss with the bonus tracks would be delightful, as would Analord with the boni

What videocassette?