IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

I think it has to do with listening to so much music that you’ve heard a lot of things like the new band you’re hearing. Even the bands you got obsessed with years ago weren’t necessarily unique, they just sounded fresh to your less experienced ears and got tattooed on your brain more easily.

yeah, that's probably partly it. although my music obsession only started properly after a long period of not listening to music at all (religious reasons - I think I mentioned this elsewhere ages ago) and then discovering Autechre and being drawn into that completely because it was so different and curious. so that is an exception to the point you're making because I found them completely unique. unique enough to draw me back into music and make me super autistically obsessed with the subforum artists for years.

There seems to be a very sharp age cutoff in watch ownership, at least in people around me. I am 29 and have always worn a watch. About two thirds of people I know the same age or older also have watches. But I don't know a single person more than a year below me in age with a watch. They all use their phones like some kind of Victorian timepiece.

If an entry-level job wants more than 2 years of experience right off the bat, then it's not really entry-level is it?

Edited by ghOsty

There seems to be a very sharp age cutoff in watch ownership, at least in people around me. I am 29 and have always worn a watch. About two thirds of people I know the same age or older also have watches. But I don't know a single person more than a year below me in age with a watch. They all use their phones like some kind of Victorian timepiece.

I hate having things around my wrists so I swore off watches around 2002.

my music obsession only started properly after a long period of not listening to music at all (religious reasons...

I'm curious what those religious reasons were.  Though if that's too personal, no need to get into it.  I have a friend who was only permitted to listen to "secular music" once he turned 15.  His first purchase was David Bowie and something else I don't recall.

my musical idm autism has also waned in the past year, think it's something i'll just have to actively work through regaining 

has anyone written IDM the musical?

Also, making electronic music is kind of fucked right? Our society has chosen to harvest and generate these vast quantities of living energy, electricity, the stuff our consciousness theoretically runs on, in big hubs, chanelling it out to most homes and businesses, for heat, lighting, food, water. And we use it to force little membranes to vibrate at the frequencies of our choosing. Like we have these little orchestras chained up in boxes and we order them to play some of the most ungodly shit imaginable over and over and over...

Yeah.

It's not unexpected.  Regardless of the species and regardless of the types of sensory organs this species has, any sufficiently intelligent culture will eventually develop art consisting of modulations of the medium used to stimulate that sense.  If there was a species whose primary method of sensation was touch and they advanced into a human level society, no doubt they would have advanced massage techniques and rituals, which could be abstractly called songs, meant for the stimulation of their touch sensitivity

And since humans are the first species that evolved on Earth with language as complex as ours, sound is a serious and important sense for us.  Music probably stimulates in a similar way to abstract hunting calls and the subtle walking sounds of animals we hunted, which developed into early musical rituals for stimulating that same mechanism

[/end speculatory spergdump]

Edited by Zeffolia

all music is electronic. unless you live in the 1800's and own fiddle. Music (my little theory) is the mind finding logical closure to a problem, tension release. The familiar pattern of a drum beat cycling. Humans recognize patterns and need to make sense of them.

Edited by marf

all music is electronic. unless you live in the 1800's and own fiddle. Music (my little theory) is the mind finding logical closure to a problem, tension release. The familiar pattern of a drum beat cycling. Humans recognize patterns and need to make sense of them.

I like the definition Sean gave..

2GkWYNm.jpg

I've never visited facebook on my smart phone.  i just use it for the camera, mp3 player, time checking, recording ideas away from the studio, and texting... and also for the rush, the adaptation and the backwardness of the act.

I've never visited facebook on my smart phone.  i just use it for the camera, mp3 player, time checking, recording ideas away from the studio, and texting... and also for the rush, the adaptation and the backwardness of the act.

yeah, same here. i'm definitely not one that is glued to my phone at all times.

i'm wondering if the smartphone trend would be as big if it wasn't for the internet :shrug:

Nope

And I think it's obvious of the Internet wouldn't be in early as big if it weren't for smart phones. The explosion and Internet activity that we witnessed circa 2007 was pretty much because of the iPhone. It became easier and faster than ever for normies to use the Internet.