• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

well, maybe now i can read the book in preparation to be disappointed. 

Well if you expect to include 600 pages of book in one ~160min movie then yeah, you will be disappointed, no doubt about it. Is this the first novel adaptation you'll gonna see on a screen?

5 minutes ago, Adamovich said:

Is this the first novel adaptation you'll gonna see on a screen?

no. 

when i was a kid i used to really be excited about book adaptations on screen, but nowadays not so much, mainly due to director and writer attached. one that i can think of that would probably "break me" would be this one (regardless of who directs) or this

Yeah, same thoughts here. I think Hollywood are fucking themselves with this strategy of postponing E V E R Y T H I N G. Shame.

Edited by Silent Member

On 10/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, hijexx said:

RIP commercial movie theaters

Wonder if there will be any industry to release this to next year?

I had a bad feeling about movie theaters surviving pandemic.

Honestly, I feel like the high-budget movie (and airline, by the way) industry really had this hearty kick in the balls coming. It's a shame that so many people are out of work, but the shoveling out of endless sequels and remakes, executive-guided/focus-group-driven/internationalization-ready cinematic decisions, and ridiculous ticket and concession prices (and it's not clear where the fault lies there) really makes it hard for me to be sad for them. I do hope they recover, but with humility and hopefully an increased focus on raisons d'etre that aren't so wholly in service of the almighty dollar.

I'm more concerned about the smaller independent/arthouse theatres, what's left of them anyway. The ones owned by actual human beings who are part of communities.

Although Dune clearly goes in the "remake" category I'm excited to see it... wherever that ends up being. This story/universe leaves a lot to the implementers'  interpretation and I'm a fan of the director's other work.

• Like 5

I'm hopeful the arthouse theaters will survive, they shouldn't be as affected by a lack of blockbusters

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Today I will be master of my emotions. If I feel depressed, I will sing. If I feel sad, I will laugh. If I feel ill, I will double my labor. If I feel fear, I will plunge ahead. If I feel inferior, I will wear new garments. If I feel poverty, I will think of wealth to come. If I feel insignificant, I will remember my goals. I will be master of my emotions.

Lyle Menendez

• 4 weeks later...

I learned in the news that Warner Bros. has decided to release “Dune” on HBO Max at the same time as our theatrical release, using prominent images from our movie to promote their streaming service. With this decision AT&T has hijacked one of the most respectable and important studios in film history. There is absolutely no love for cinema, nor for the audience here. It is all about the survival of a telecom mammoth, one that is currently bearing an astronomical debt of more than $150 billion. Therefore, even though “Dune” is about cinema and audiences, AT&T is about its own survival on Wall Street. With HBO Max’s launch a failure thus far, AT&T decided to sacrifice Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate in a desperate attempt to grab the audience’s attention.

Streaming services are a positive and powerful addition to the movie and TV ecosystems. But I want the audience to understand that streaming alone can’t sustain the film industry as we knew it before COVID. Streaming can produce great content, but not movies of “Dune’s” scope and scale. Warner Bros.’ decision means “Dune” won’t have the chance to perform financially in order to be viable and piracy will ultimately triumph. Warner Bros. might just have killed the “Dune” franchise. This one is for the fans. AT&T’s John Stankey said that the streaming horse left the barn. In truth, the horse left the barn for the slaughterhouse.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-blasts-warner-bros-1234851270/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i hate to have to be the only one to say it but the means of movie production needs to be seized so that those who want to use it end up using it and there is no profit motive.  then we will get the masterpieces that take 30 years to film

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

i hate to have to be the only one to say it but the means of movie production needs to be seized so that those who want to use it end up using it and there is no profit motive.  then we will get the masterpieces that take 30 years to film

no one is standing in the way between me and my remake of Boyhood,  created on my iPhone, starring my cat, due  out summer of 2032

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...