• 9 to 5
    • OTHER
  2. 2. Do you enjoy your job ?

• YES
    • NO
    • INDIFFERENT

46 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Diamond thief.

From now on you'll be stuck in my head looking like di Caprio. With that over the top South African accent from, what was it, Blood Diamond.

money smoking GIF

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

International or just domestic?

44 minutes ago, goDel said:

From now on you'll be stuck in my head looking like di Caprio. With that over the top South African accent from, what was it, Blood Diamond.

money smoking GIF

Good, because that's how I usually talk.

• Like 1

It's neat seeing what the crowd here does.

I work something like 8 to 5 or 6 any given day. I'm the incoming receiving material review board coordinator for a implantable medical manufacturing company. If some electrical component is acting up, I'm the one handling it on a batch management level. I'm trying to become a data analyst for the company, since that's something I already do a ton of in house; I'm one of the main ad hoc report creators and editors for others, I have a reputation for having a bunch of my own little databases that are stitch-ups from multiple sources.

I've also started volunteering to be a hockey goalie coach.

• Like 1

Remember that show Dirty Jobs? I freelance those dirty jobs. Right now I'm cleaning elephant dung out of a burned down, dilapidated building. Next month, I'll be in an undisclosed location, making antibiotics for livestock by centrifuging chicken shit. After that, I'll be in Missouri, working in animal husbandry. It keeps me real. I am a coastal elite, but I like to keep my finger on the pulse ifyaknowwhaddamean

• Like 1

Used to be 8-6 Mon-Fri and 8-1 Saturday

But i've crashed and burned over the past few years, with 2 young kids and everything else going on.....

Since the start of this year i've been taking a day off a week to be with my 2 year old son and my wife goes to work.  I also work less Saturdays than I used too. 

Currently reassessing, applying elsewhere, house is up for sale (pretty close to accepting an offer actually) and I am going to re-train and do something completely different, probably down in Devon.

Architect, but don't work / have a job at the moment. (not on welfare or anything)
Will start applying for a job soon again.
Maybe not in Architecture though.
Too much stress, staleness and paperwork on my previous Architecture job.
The one before that was more fun though. (until I started accepting extra work independently)
Problem is , I don't really know what I actually want to do. (disappointed in Architecture)
I do some small Art jobs from time to time in between, mostly for fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I'm impressed that more than half of watmm actually enjoys their work.  I thought that percentage would be much lower.

The ones that "enjoy" their jobs (and have posted such in this thread) will most likely be posting in work time anyway ?

Just a week ago was offered a perfect opportunity suited to my current situation. Three days a week, from 9 to 4 at a real state management office doing some assistant accounting etc. Was first there three months doing my intern and since I'm such a sunshine, they asked if I was interested to continue doing a part time job, which is more than fine with me. Makes nicely possible to use the other four days to my business economy and accounting studies. Small office and nice mood, plus really lovely co-workers, don't have to wear a tie. Still feeling kinda surreal how great it panned out after all the shit I went through a couple of years ago. Now gathering some money to afx bleepstore update. :emotawesomepm9:

• Like 1

I have a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering but I didn't want to work in a chemical plant so I started specializing in Rheology, which is the study of how things deform and flow.  I have a job at a personal care products / pharma company where I work with the people who make the new products such as sunscreens, lotions, body wash, soap.  I develop models to predict the stability and aesthetics (look, feel, overall consumer acceptance) of the products.  Generally work 8 - 4, M - F and really enjoy my job (at the moment).

• Like 1

Still in full time education. Don't intend to work a day of my life. Just going to live in a cabin in the woods and eat bugs and write poetry. 21st century life is all about efficiency, productivity and rushing, no wonder our lives seem to pass by so quick. We never seem to have a moment in the day where we can reflect on and soak in the day's activities. I only began realising this as I spent more time in nature, for the first time in forever I had felt the sentation of not having any deadlines or worries in the back of my mind. I simply existed in the moment and it was the best feeling in my life. We all begin burning the candle at both ends in our early teens and I suspect we'll all be one foot in the grave by the time we retire, considering the average age of retirement is in the 70s (in the UK at least), added with the fact that hardly any jobs pay a living wage anymore. I'll be living with my parents until I'm 40 with a degree where miners were once able to support a family off of one income. I can't say I'm too optimistic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Candiru said:

Remember that show Dirty Jobs? I freelance those dirty jobs. Right now I'm cleaning elephant dung out of a burned down, dilapidated building. Next month, I'll be in an undisclosed location, making antibiotics for livestock by centrifuging chicken shit. After that, I'll be in Missouri, working in animal husbandry. It keeps me real. I am a coastal elite, but I like to keep my finger on the pulse ifyaknowwhaddamean

So you're cleaning up burnt elephant dung, or elephant dung left after the building burnt down?

I would imagine the former smells worse than the latter (depending on freshness)

Also: Elephants shitting in burnt out buildings for Most IDM 2020

• Haha 1

Sales in publishing. Boring as fuck but can work from home a couple of days a week and set my own hours. Commute is nice so normally home by 4. Haven’t used my brain in about a year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Architect, but don't work / have a job at the moment. (not on welfare or anything)
Will start applying for a job soon again.
Maybe not in Architecture though.
Too much stress, staleness and paperwork on my previous Architecture job.
The one before that was more fun though. (until I started accepting extra work independently)
Problem is , I don't really know what I actually want to do. (disappointed in Architecture)
I do some small Art jobs from time to time in between, mostly for fun.

architect too.  in the last couple years many of my friends from university have switched paths either into a related field or a leftfield turn.

a few years ago i was a more exicited (was young/ justout of college, working too many hours but at least doing cool design) but now that im a bit older, still working too many hours, and still getting paid pretty shit, im starting to have my doubts.

mainly ive been picking up some new hobbies (climbing / outdoor stuff) and realizing that working on a computer from 9-7 (or more) every day makes it hard to have a balanced life. and the pay is incredibly low for how much we work (that stands for both when i lived in usa and mexico), and this is supposed to be a 'strong economy'.  if another recession hits, architecture jobs/firms are fucked

I work for a management consultancy firm, I am an engineer by training. I ended up here by mistake because my old employer was acquired by this one. I really should have fucked off a few years ago. Now I am in a role that doesn't permit me to do the sort of work I enjoy, so this year I am moving on. I too have not used my brain in some time.

Edited by Enthusiast

I do broadcast systems and infrastructure stuff, most weeks will have a day where I don't really need to do anything so I log on from home so skype shows as available, and then potter around doing DIY or play video games in my pants

I record musicians, occasionally am called upon to make music for an ad, and delivery food for Skip whenever I feel like it (don't even bother setting my schedule because there's usually shifts available any time I check the app).  The thing I've always considered to be my real work, which pays nothing, is working on my music in various projects.  I really like having a lifestyle where I'm never on a set schedule, save setting up studio sessions with clients.  I never make much money, but I value my time a lot more.  For the most part, I enjoy the work that I do.  Driving delivery is actually really fun.  Sometimes I do it just because it happens to be the thing I want to be doing above any of my other options.  I basically get paid to drive around in a souped up stereo system.