IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

14 minutes ago, very honest said:

like a week ago in the "2 new albums announcedish" thread someone reported word from a manufacturing plant. later confirmed by the cover of sign

Right. When I saw the announcement, my first thought was "well, that's almost exactly what that dude's friend at the printer said about one of the albums; now let's see if it holds up for the other." If I recall correctly they said the other one was green-on-grey, right? 

Yeah i'm starting to wonder how long they wanna hold the other one in the pipe.

Sending out the first batch just to release a second one shortly afterwards would be rather unecological, wouldn't it? So i guess we're talking either really soon (also due to the fact that the artwork seems to be finished already) or X-mas trade / early next year.

Dunno.

21 minutes ago, tailings said:

Oh yeah, that vague comment from earlier this year.  Well, if we do get a second album, awesome sauce.  'Til then I say it's vaeporwaer.

how is "we just prepped 2 albums" vague tho?

• Like 1

Just now, jaderpansen said:

how is "we just prepped 2 albums" vague tho?

I'm sure they have a file cabinet or three full of 'prepped' stuff that never got released.  Until I have a link to buy it's not real.

Just to be clear, a search for your quoted quote, "we just prepped 2 albums", only turns up your post.  I assume you're referring to the comments, "we just prepped an album, btw" "two actually".  Which, yeah, I do consider vague and far from real or a committal.  Could be the 2 prepped albums got condensed into one finished product.  Who knows?

Sorry to piss on the rainbow.  Maybe I'm just in a covid funk.  Maybe I just feel it's more satisfying to be skeptical and then delighted, rather than endlessly hopeful and endlessly let down? 

5 minutes ago, tailings said:

I'm sure they have a file cabinet or three full of 'prepped' stuff that never got released.  Until I have a link to buy it's not real.

Just to be clear, a search for your quoted quote, "we just prepped 2 albums", only turns up your post.  I assume you're referring to the comments, "we just prepped an album, btw" "two actually".  Which, yeah, I do consider vague and far from real or a committal.  Could be the 2 prepped albums got condensed into one finished product.  Who knows?

Sorry to piss on the rainbow.  Maybe I'm just in a covid funk.  Maybe I just feel it's more satisfying to be skeptical and then delighted, rather than endlessly hopeful and endlessly let down? 

the feeling of being let down comes from u tho.. joy as an act of resistance:))

1 hour ago, Mic Finger said:

Please don't be a dick and say that science is only for people with doctorates. You knew exactly where I was coming from (as evidenced by your final sentence), and I doubt that anyone was misled by my suggesting that he was a scientist.

R-79398-1410786613-8364.jpeg.jpg.cbab4e97f5648032d5b7020b84da2e05.jpg

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

Yeah i'm starting to wonder how long they wanna hold the other one in the pipe.

Sending out the first batch just to release a second one shortly afterwards would be rather unecological, wouldn't it? So i guess we're talking either really soon (also due to the fact that the artwork seems to be finished already) or X-mas trade / early next year.

Dunno.

I'm wondering if the second album will be called a proper album, or released as an album-length ep, like EP7 and Move of Ten...

Edited by Chabraendeky

This is what Ian Anderson also said on Twitter about the artwork and the album:

"What if it weren’t a puzzle. What if it is what it is not a function of something else? Just imagine :-)"

"...seriously it sounds a bit different..."

He sounds a bit upset about the criticism:

"Why the placement of Autechre SIGN in the top left, instead of in the middle of the circle? Thinking face"

"They call it design, apparently. But you could cut it out and shove it where you want Face with tears of joy"

Notice the "fluorescents" hashtag. I bet you it's fluorescent on the vinyl cover and, hopefully, the CD too, and looks really cool. I'm very curious, excited, and a little scared about the different sound ("Oversteps" was the only misstep [sorry] for me in their flawless, progressive streak since the most-underrated "Untilted). Especially, since Ian wrote that "you need to hear what it looks like". Colorful, warm, and fluorescent...

Edited by MarcinKoczot

I'd be willing to bet that these are individual albums. 1 sean and 1 rob. The sign is a play on all the sean names and the green will be a play on rob's name. won't be the first watmm joke they've acknowledged.

2 minutes ago, YELLOW said:

Where did this orange and green thing come from? I guess I'm behind on my chre lore

some guy last week said his mate worked at a printers doing the new ae packaging. Said one was orange on grey and one green on grey. 

Combine that with Sean saying 2 new albums due in last 3/4 of the year back in mixlr chat and bæb’s your uncle

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

some guy last week said his mate worked at a printers doing the new ae packaging. Said one was orange on grey and one green on grey. 

Combine that with Sean saying 2 new albums due in last 3/4 of the year back in mixlr chat and bæb’s your uncle

Cheers, thank you!

Well this just got spicier!

• Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, purlieu said:

To be fair, the same ae lettering was using on LP5, EP7, Gantz Graf and Draft 7.30, which felt like they were going for something identifiable.

yeah, for several years they have used fonts with a similar line, and in fact in gantz graf and draft the abbreviation ae is identical (I forgot this in draft), so I would say there was a recognizable aesthetic and at least two occasions something very close to a logo, however I was referring to a symbol, as can happen for aphex or deadmau5 ... if the onesix graphics are actually their logo, we would enter this territory for the first time .. well in fact I have opened a rather sterile reflection...