IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Guest bitroast

you guys seem confused about who needs to pay who for what

lol yes. i'll admit actually to being confused as to how youtubeers actually make money for their stuff.

i'll be honest, i watch my fair chunk of game reviews and video game related stuff on youtube, but the whole process of people quitting their day job and seeking out the youtubing stuff as a full time job and only using that channel to do lets plays and game commentary and stuff. it's such a weird thing to me. like, take the extreme example of pewdiepie. for him to be able to make millions of dollars per year from doing lets plays.. i have got nothing against him or what he's doing or his fan base here or anything, but i think it goes without saying that i just always figured it was a bit of a loophole to the youtube monetisation system. and that it's not just him but multiple people are making big bucks off this thing, and there's a whole army of youtube people aspiring to reach similar great heights of establishment and rely on youtube for a regular flow of income. i understand that it's work and effort but it has always felt like a tiny loophole to how youtube and internet money going to content creators is really supposed to be working. so when the companies are now trying to iron out how the money is distributed, it's just really funny and ridiculous to see youtube personalities respond so harshly and negatively. "ya blew it nintendo!! you really fucked up this time, nintendo!"

yablewit.png

I think these youtubers should be allowed to post the videos, but the first part of "fair use" of copyrighted material forces everyone to consider the clause "the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;" In this case, it was commercial, and Nintendo had a legal case they could stand on. Whether that was a good move or not, I can't say (seems like a step in the wrong direction), but Angry Joe there is not legally entitled to revenue by default, as far as I know. Many games companies think Let's Play videos and reviews/criticism are fine, but Nintendo is not among them. It's within their legal rights to fight it. Eventually videos like "let's play _____" will probably be brought to court and a legal precedent will be set, but I don't think that's happened yet.

Adieu at one point said something along the lines of "this will make people see this as a weak career choice" and indeed, it is a weak career choice for most people. For one thing, it's fairly shifty - it's riding the coattails of an existing product and selling it again. This is among the lowest forms of "content creation" imo. It's fine, I think it should be legal to share it, but I'm on the fence about monetizing commentary on someone elses' product and then getting upset when they want a cut. This is in no way the same as using Photoshop to make something that generates revenue - the EULA in that case explains that using the product to create saleable content is fine. Likewise with Ableton. But I don't think that's the case with most videogames. You can own it, you can play it, but I'd bet in most EULAs (the things we never read) there is a clause about using the game for commercial purposes other than resale.

tl;dr probably not worth getting upset about

Edited by luke viia

Guest bitroast

demons souls is so fucking addicting. when i first tried playing it around same time as dark souls coming out, i was confused as to how to keep the health levels up given the healing herbs don't automatically replenish. it didn't take long for it to click that level 1 largely drops shit tonne of healing herbs and level 2 drops shit tonne of weapon upgrade related items. it's just a matter of having to actually play it to get the items in return. urrrrrrh. this game is fucking sweet *u*

it didn't take long for it to click that level 1 largely drops shit tonne of healing herbs and level 2 drops shit tonne of weapon upgrade related items.

I'm guessing it's entirely possible in to work yourself into a corner you can't get out of if you don't use these items right in the early levels. because that's pretty much what happened to me in DS2 :cisfor: I had to scrap my first character and start over. I didn't want to grind endlessly for meagre souls to try and get out of the hole I was in.

is anyone else playing Scholar of the First Sin?

Oh, and I'm playing Rogue Legacy. Good times. I've truly gotten myself into a time-loss whirlpool here.

yeah man that one sucked me in. for such a seemingly simple game i think i ended up dumping around 50hrs into it before i got the platinum

Guest bitroast

it didn't take long for it to click that level 1 largely drops shit tonne of healing herbs and level 2 drops shit tonne of weapon upgrade related items.

I'm guessing it's entirely possible in to work yourself into a corner you can't get out of if you don't use these items right in the early levels. because that's pretty much what happened to me in DS2 :cisfor: I had to scrap my first character and start over. I didn't want to grind endlessly for meagre souls to try and get out of the hole I was in.

is anyone else playing Scholar of the First Sin?

i don't think so actually.. the enemies in the first level are pretty easy regardless of how you've been playing.

i think starting the game from scratch definitely helped me play a bit differently though. i had a similar thing happen with dark souls, where about half way through something would 'click' and i'd get this urge to reset my save file and start fresh, and then i'd remember how much bullshit i'd already gone through and would decide to push on.

i'm really looking forward to giving dark souls 1 and 2nd play through. maybe actually read some guides/youtubes before hand and play smart this time :)

IT'S HAPPENING

2842401-deus1.jpg

Yeah it's official - DX: Mankind Divided.

Nice change of pace from all these gothic/Victorian/steampunk-themed games that get hyped to the skies around here. Certainly something to look forward to.

I'm having a blast in Warlords of Draenor right now. I have 2 lvl 100 characters now. My main character is tied for second in best gear in my guild right now.

most of the way through the regular levels in olliolli2. vita getting lots of love lately. booted up tower of guns and aaru's awakening on ps4 for a bit today. neither seemed quite like my bag. still holding out a little hope for never alone

HR was really really good. One of the best franchise reboots I can think of tbh

Those boss fights were really annoying if you chose to spend your ability points on stealth. Otherwise, I really like the game.

Those boss fights were really annoying if you chose to spend your ability points on stealth. Otherwise, I really like the game.

I read something about the Director's Cut (whatever that was... a re-release I guess?!) of HR having fixed the boss fights, so at least they're aware they sucked.

Edited by Friendly Foil

I read something about the Director's Cut (whatever that was... a re-release I guess?!) of HR having fixed the boss fights, so at least they're aware they sucked.

It costs like 10 bucks if you already own the original game. 5 if you have the Missing Link DLC too.

Yeah the boss fights in DX:HR were laughably easy, once you figure out the tricks. Then again same with the JC Denton original, if you learn their killphrases.

I'm thinking about buying the Director's Cut tomorrow actually, especially in light of the latest installment coming soon.

The DX reboot was excellent, a nice balance between what made the original game great, but bringing in modern lessons learned about game design. Mankind Divided could be pretty swell, I hope.

Edited by WeAreOceans

Guest bitroast

I just lost 18k+ souls because I barrel-rolled my dumb ass off a catwalk >:|

ahahahaha shit.

i'm up to the third 'level' in demons souls.

(got up and killed to the giant knight thing at the end of the bridge in first level, third boss, and then hit dead end)

(got up to and killed spider boss in second level. was so fucking easy. just found a bit of wall sticking out to the left while still in tunnel and managed to kill the spider by shooting arrows from safety.)

is there a way of reviving MP better or is it same old case of killing enough tentacle face guys and letting them drop old spice as means of getting MP back.

also, how do i use Heal magic? i've got it remembered but the stick doesn't seem to use it. is there a talisman i need to get??

Edited by bitroast

no idea, brah. this is my first time playing a Souls game, I haven't even touched magic. I've not read any guides or anything, I'm literally figuring things out as I go.

the most souls i ever lost was around 350k. heartbreaking. I got my dark souls 2 character to level 250 odd i think? at that point you need over 350k souls to even level up. good times.