i'm related to the second patient on here, they start talking to him about 1:20 in. i haven't seen him in like 15 years at least tho, but none of this surprises me. i often enough see his mom and dad, in their late 70s or early 80s, and i heard they were just exposed to and/or got diagnosed with COVID a week or so ago (didn't get the full details, haven't heard anything since). absolutely stubborn and willfully ignorant people all up in my family and throughout the state...reminds me of the people down in south Louisiana getting interviewed before a hurricane 'naw, i'm not evacuating it's no big deal, the news is just hyping it up' then cut to a few days later when they're getting helicoptered out from off their rooftop.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I know Fauci is way too professional for this, but I wish he would have some shit like "You are an eye doctor, stick to your field, you are in way over your head, buddy."

plus, this is like the 4th time these two have had the same bullshit conversation on the taxpayer's dime, and I'm sure Fauci is way past tired of Rand's bullshit

I can completely understand his sentiment. I have had plenty of situations where I have lost my cool. And even though that might be for a good reason, the thing which matters is his effectiveness.

Fauci has a lot of weight on his shoulders. If he loses his cool and doing so risks convincing the people who are still on the fence, he's got a problem. It's his role to convince those on the fence. With an outburst like that - even if it's justified - he risks losing his effectiveness. 

This is huge part of what officials in the public eye have to deal with on a regular basis, btw. Respectfully respond to any crazy prejudices and beliefs out there. 

What he did here was similar to Hillary Clinton standing on a stage and calling Trump supporters out for deplorables. Regardless of the truthfulness of that statement, from a political perspective it's an ineffective statement. 

It's a tight line these people have to walk. Clintons comment didn't had the same emotional load as Faucis. And was perhaps meant as a bit of a joke even. And that backfired. So even jokingly putting Paul back into his place with a comment like that (the eye doctor thing), will go wrong. Paul is an elected official. It's his job to ask critical questions. Fauci should have kept his elephant-skin jacket on. No matter what.

If an elected official walks into the senate with a snowball in his hand, arguing climate change is a hoax, going on a personal rant wont be doing any good. Even if the supporters would love to see it that way.

It's better to look at the Brits for this stuff, imo. The Brits have a beautiful tradition of wittiness which can work wonders in situations like these. They can just respectfully outwit someone in arguments like this. Keep their cool. And between the lines crush their opponent without losing the perception of being respectful. (I'm an admirer of the British wittiness culture)

This was way too much text, wasnt it? O well. I spend some time typing it. Now I have to submit it :S

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

It's better to look at the Brits for this stuff, imo. The Brits have a beautiful tradition of wittiness which can work wonders in situations like these. They can just respectfully outwit someone in arguments like this. Keep their cool. And between the lines crush their opponent without losing the perception of being respectful. (I'm an admirer of the British wittiness culture)

if you believe brits (reading this as 'english'; received pronunciation / RP) talking in upper class, english accents are being universally respectful, then i guess you've not experienced much of life in england first hand. as john oliver has pointed out, that formal use of english that involves appearing to be respectful actually hides astonishing contempt. it's a tool private schools teach their pupils, as though they're perfectly fine to say anything they wish about another person as long as they stick to basic rules of appearing to be polite.

there's plenty of humour about the technique (see alexei sayle's 'the noble art of verbal abuse' for example), so you'd also get a reminder that it's a certain section of society that can deploy it. most can't, and are probably in the camp of falling for it quite often. it shows people so determined and entitled to be offensive that they've refined the tone and pronunciation to be so beyond fault that anything being said can be hard to pick up the flaw within. experience often lets you spot the flaws - drawling, derisive, bitchy, snobby - when you (rarely) experience it first hand regularly. other than this, it's usually about professions / positions of privilege and rarity that upper class find themselves in - law for example - and wanting to be clear, accurate and controlled, devoid of the various stereotypes associated with working class accents.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 4

@auxien that sucks. relatable. one of my step siblings and his family have said they're not getting the vaccine because they "know some people who had covid and are fine". they're evangelicals, but not trumpers, so the attitude about covid vaccines is coming from a weird place. they're all college educated people but for some reason there's a thread of 'magical thinking' in their lives about health issues.. have had conversations about curing cancer with dietary changes and other scam-like holistic nonsense. it's pretty bizarre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logboy said:

if you believe brits (reading this as 'english'; received pronunciation / RP) talking in upper class, english accents are being universally respectful, then i guess you've not experienced much of life in england first hand. as john oliver has pointed out, that formal use of english that involves appearing to be respectful actually hides astonishing contempt. it's a tool private schools teach their pupils, as though they're perfectly fine to say anything they wish about another person as long as they stick to basic rules of appearing to be polite.

there's plenty of humour about the technique (see alexei sayle's 'the noble art of verbal abuse' for example), so you'd also get a reminder that it's a certain section of society that can deploy it. most can't, and are probably in the camp of falling for it quite often. it shows people so determined and entitled to be offensive that they've refined the tone and pronunciation to be so beyond fault that anything being said can be hard to pick up the flaw within. experience often lets you spot the flaws - drawling, derisive, bitchy, snobby - when you (rarely) experience it first hand regularly. other than this, it's usually about professions / positions of privilege and rarity that upper class find themselves in - law for example - and wanting to be clear, accurate and controlled, devoid of the various stereotypes associated with working class accents.

yeah, im aware. i was talking about the use of wit in the first place. not just about creating an appearance of respect while actually doing the complete opposite. 

true though. there's a complete dark side it. but when used the "right" way, it can be light. and some form of intellectual lubrication. there's multiple sides to it, imo. 

i should check alexeis book stuff though. thx for the tip!

Edited by Satans Little Helper

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

@auxien that sucks. relatable. one of my step siblings and his family have said they're not getting the vaccine because they "know some people who had covid and are fine". they're evangelicals, but not trumpers, so the attitude about covid vaccines is coming from a weird place. they're all college educated people but for some reason there's a thread of 'magical thinking' in their lives about health issues.. have had conversations about curing cancer with dietary changes and other scam-like holistic nonsense. it's pretty bizarre. 

yeah there are plenty of anti-vaxxers on the left, i think it’s pretty much bipartisan….lots of reasons everyone is giving for their stance as hesitant or anti-

• Like 1

yeah there are plenty of anti-vaxxers on the left, i think it’s pretty much bipartisan….lots of reasons everyone is giving for their stance as hesitant or anti-

They’re not on the left. Very conservative. Just not trumptards. But, yeah, there are plenty of lefty hippie essential oil types who are anti vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

They’re not on the left. Very conservative. Just not trumptards. But, yeah, there are plenty of lefty hippie essential oil types who are anti vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desantis just went to "the other side"

• Facepalm 1

would legit bring a bat to the clinic if i lived in LA and each of these fuckers would get a nice taste of it. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:56 PM, toaoaoad said:

Wonder how many of these people will still be alive a year from now

based on current american stats of 610k deaths out of 34.4m cases out of a 328.2 population imma say roughly 99.8% of them. pretty scary to think about ngl

58 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

based on current american stats of 610k deaths out of 34.4m cases out of a 328.2 population imma say roughly 99.8% of them. pretty scary to think about ngl

that's assuming those deaths are distributed evenly... which they're not right? 

edit: i'd be ok w/these people being rounded up and forced to smoke some formaldehyde soaked weed as an attempt to reset them. if that doesn't work then i'm ok w/them being forced to smoke formaldehyde soaked weed with an LSD chaser as an attempted reset and if that doesn't work then i'm ok w/them being forced to smoke formaldehyde soaked weed with an LSD chaser then 4mg xanax sleep followed by 2 cups black coffee while watching Adam Curtis documentaries as an attempted reset nd if that doesn't work then i'm ok w/them being forced to smoke formaldehyde soaked weed with an LSD chaser then 4mg xanax sleep followed by 2 cups black coffee while watching Adam Curtis documentaries follow by some salvia and DMT and followed by a therapist guided MDMA session as an attempted reset...

Edited by ignatius
  • Burger 1

15 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

no masks required at T rally in .az

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apparently he's given very strong indication that he will run for pres in 2024. i hope SDNY beats him to the punch. 

35 minutes ago, ignatius said:

apparently he's given very strong indication that he will run for pres in 2024. i hope SDNY beats him to the punch. 

I have a feeling that this is a grift to keep those donations rolling in and to try and stay relevant.

I'm guessing he's already strategizing on how to eventually avoid running but make it seem like he's being held out against his will.

20 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

I have a feeling that this is a grift to keep those donations rolling in and to try and stay relevant.

I'm guessing he's already strategizing on how to eventually avoid running but make it seem like he's being held out against his will.

that sounds very plausible but i wouldn't be surprised if he fails upwards again and does a beautiful bigly winning campaign. 

• Like 1