IGNORED

Cornelius Resigns from 2021 Tokyo Olympics Over Past Bullying

Joyrex

yeah i would say this guy committed crimes and then bragged about it years later. it's a bit different than your run of the mill middle/high school bullying

• Like 2

Well that sucks, his music is great. Never would've expected anything like that from him judging by the music. Still this stuff was back in his teens no? Let him make his much needed apology round and keep on trucking. Kids and teens can be fucking brutal, but still turn out ok as adults. Even assholes can make great art.

*Insert poop painting*

Edited by Silent Member

However, when his involvement with the Games only recently came to light, old interviews with the magazines Rockin’On Japan in 1994 and Quick Japan in 1995 resurfaced in which Oyamada admitted to bullying classmates of Korean descent and with disabilities such as Down Syndrome. It wasn’t lightweight stuff either. The numerous past acts involved forcing people to eat feces, strip naked, and sexual assault, all continuing from elementary school to high school. Moreover, Oyamada didn’t come off as remorseful at all during the interview and could have been said to be boasting about the offenses.

wtf

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

[quote]However, when his involvement with the Games only recently came to light, old interviews with the magazines Rockin’On Japan in 1994 and Quick Japan in 1995 resurfaced in which Oyamada admitted to bullying classmates of Korean descent and with disabilities such as Down Syndrome. It wasn’t lightweight stuff either. The numerous past acts involved forcing people to eat feces, strip naked, and sexual assault, all continuing from elementary school to high school. Moreover, Oyamada didn’t come off as remorseful at all during the interview and could have been said to be boasting about the offenses. [/quote]

wtf

so im hearing this dudes kicked off the olympics but whens he gonna be locked up? what the fucl lmao?

• Like 1

Are there any quotes from the 94 interview where he boasts about making down syndrome korean kids eat human feces?

Edited by colunga
  • Big Brain 1

Yeah, it's kind of mind boggling that didn't cause a stir.

weird story. hadn't heard his name in years. I remember discovering him in the napster days, back when I was downloading everything DJ Shadow/Unkle related I could find. 

On 7/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, zero said:

weird story. hadn't heard his name in years. I remember discovering him in the napster days, back when I was downloading everything DJ Shadow/Unkle related I could find. 

Yeah he did a great cover of Brazil, that was about the only track of his that I kept from Napster

On the one hand … it doesn’t make his music any more or less good.

On the other hand: playing music for the Olympics is a pretty public thing to do and this, of course, looks pretty bad in public, so yeah, no choice but to let him go.

So: shrug.

(but really: bullying kids with Down syndrome? Wow)

This puritanical bullshit is ridiculous.  Why do people think that someone has to be an unblemished paschal lamb in order to write a melody?  Is my soul going to get besmottered if I accidentally like a piece of music written by this guy?

Instead of firing him for doing something bad, I propose an alternate solution:  keep him on the job, but have him use a pseudonym (or better yet, let him stay anonymous).  That way, you still get the music you wanted, but you don't have to worry about people going to hell for watching the Olympics.  Everybody's happy.

On a personal note, I employ an unorthodox tactic when I approach music:  I listen to the sounds that I hear and I don't take the time to read about the person who made them.  I find it helps me to stay grounded and unperturbed by the eternal consequences of hearing certain chord progressions.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

If someone made me eat shit when I was a kid I would want them to pay for it for the rest of their fucking life. 

Yeah but some people are more forgiving than you lol

Hold on, I'm not finished:  all that shit you love on Netflix.  Most of it was made by pedophiles.  They're out there, they're rich, and you'll never find out about it unless they do something really stupid because they're filthy rich.  Oh yeah.  For everyone whose offences come out in public, there are probably ten who've managed to keep their skeletons in the closet.

But that isn't to say that Corny shouldn't have to deal with legal repurcussions.  It just means that he was hired to make music, and having unconfessed sins shouldn't impede his ability to do the job, am I right?  Hell yeah, you know it.

As someone who personally helped an inebriated fellow Japanese dorm resident of Korean descent walk safely home from karaoke in the wee hours of the morning during my study abroad days, I would be willing to pay Oyamada to eat a poo sammich.

• Burger 1